Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: War Stories

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Default Re: War Stories

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Austria-Hungary started this war by invading Serbia.

One might argue that the war was actually started as a result of poor military advice...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes...ar_with_Serbia
    My point being that someone from Austria making a big thing about accusing the USA of starting aggressive wars has no moral high ground to stand on.
    Come on this is ridiculous , this has absolutely nothing to do where somebody is coming from, from the same or a different country, Same or different time period.

What‘s next? The Huns? Because there was Attila..... The Greeks? Because Alexander the Great? Italians because the Roman Empire?

Thanks

Genuine question: apart from the war of independence, which wars did USA start?

Ohhh, do you really have a problem remember such things?
    You are right there are so many, it‘s hard to remember a single one, so let me help you to remember the countless conflicts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._United_States

And I‘m sure stupid Donald will add some more to the list.
    Remember the guy without brain, acting like a little child and with the big atomic blast button.
    Most likely the most dangerous and irrational guy currently in the world.

But I‘m proud that the Europeans now the first time seem to have the guts to not follow the US and maybe prevent another US war in the Iran.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (May 21st, 2018), NibsForScript (May 21st, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Genuine question: apart from the war of independence, which wars did USA start?

Ohhh, do you really have a problem remember such things?
    You are right there are so many, it‘s hard to remember a single one, so let me help you to remember the countless conflicts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._United_States

And I‘m sure stupid Donald will add some more to the list.
    Remember the guy without brain, acting like a little child and with the big atomic blast button.
    Most likely the most dangerous and irrational guy currently in the world.

But I‘m proud that the Europeans now the first time seem to have the guts to not follow the US and maybe prevent another US war in the Iran.
    Well, El Senor Presidente, quit sniping at everybody else and knock off derailing this thread. There are many humorous things that happen in the military, war or no war, but you keep sniping at war, and these anecdotes are prevented from being presented. By you and your overzealous crusade against war. We are all against war!! I am a veteran and did my three years, eleven months and twenty-one days. Sat on ground zero--an ICBM launch complex, a big target that couldn't move. You think we enjoyed it? Incoming could arrive at any time. Knock it off. This diatribe against war is naïve, and is preaching to those who already know how terrible it is, and we don't need instruction by those who haven't been there in some way.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Paddler (May 22nd, 2018), ShugPug (May 22nd, 2018)

Thanks

Well, El Senor Presidente, quit sniping at everybody else and knock off derailing this thread. There are many humorous things that happen in the military, war or no war, but you keep sniping at war, and these anecdotes are prevented from being presented. By you and your overzealous crusade against war. We are all against war!! I am a veteran and did my three years, eleven months and twenty-one days. Sat on ground zero--an ICBM launch complex, a big target that couldn't move. You think we enjoyed it? Incoming could arrive at any time. Knock it off. This diatribe against war is naïve, and is preaching to those who already know how terrible it is, and we don't need instruction by those who haven't been there in some way.
    Hmmm, I do not remember humorous things happened during my military service.
    It was some of the most stupid time in my life.

Here we have compulsory military service duty, but you can choose between military service and alternative civilian service.
    I was young and stupid and influenced by my surrounding, so I´ve choosen military service, which I regretted very soon.
    Instead of doing something meaningful and help people in the civilian service Iˋve wasted 8 months of my lifetime.
    Many of the young guys there learn such important and humorous things like smoking and drinking and wasting their time.
    But some really enjoy this club, e.g. because they can dominate others, or those who enjoy being told what to do the whole day, or those who enjoy playing with weapons.

My mother told me: Son when you enter the casern shut down your brain, you can turn it on again when you are out again

And this was a good advise, at least for people who ask and want to get reasons.

Do I now also count as veteran as I served also 8 months?
    Or do somebody have to kill or at least shoot at another human to count as veteran?

I see you also counted the days until itˋs over, I did the same thing and it was the best feeling in my life (at that point of time) when I drove out the casern the last time.
    Damn I was so happy.....

The only thing which I have to admit that I enjoyed was the target shooting.
    Iˋm no weapon fetishist but I liked the precision of the tool in a sportive way.
    These days Iˋm a target archer (recurve bow, instinctive shooting) and enjoy the shooting with it. But I would never shoot on an animal or human, only target shooting and 3D parcours (plastic animals).

What was your reason to serve in the military, because as far as I know you do not have a compulsatory military service since quite a time?

Also the same as mine? young and stupid?
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; May 23rd, 2018 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks

Hmmm, I do not remember humorous things happened during my military service.
    It was some of the most stupid time in my life.

Here we have compulsory military service duty, but you can choose between military service and alternative civilian service.
    I was young and stupid and influenced by my surrounding, so I´ve choosen military service, which I regretted very soon.
    Instead of doing something meaningful and help people in the civilian service Iˋve wasted 8 months of my lifetime.
    Many of the young guys there learn such important and humorous things like smoking and drinking and wasting their time.
    But some really enjoy this club, e.g. because they can dominate others, or those who enjoy being told what to do the whole day, or those who enjoy playing with weapons.

My mother told me: Son when you enter the casern shut down your brain, you can turn it on again when you are out again

And this was a good advise, at least for people who ask and want to get reasons.

Do I now also count as veteran as I served also 8 months?
    Or do somebody have to kill or at least shoot at another human to count as veteran?

I see you also counted the days until itˋs over, I did the same thing and it was the best feeling in my life (at that point of time) when I drove out the casern the last time.
    Damn I was so happy.....

The only thing which I have to admit that I enjoyed was the target shooting.
    Iˋm no weapon fetishist but I liked the precision of the tool in a sportive way.
    These days Iˋm a target archer (recurve bow, instinctive shooting) and enjoy the shooting with it. But I would never shoot on an animal or human, only target shooting and 3D parcours (plastic animals).

What was your reason to serve in the military, because as far as I know you do not have a compulsatory military service since quite a time?

Also the same as mine? young and stupid?
    In 1970 there was a draft, and although they had a lottery based on birthdays, my number was low enough that I would have been drafted had I not simply volunteered. Yes, a lot of it was stupid when not dangerous, but a lot of funny stuff happened. Times have changed since the 1970s.

Our missile ops squadron was divided into three sectors, each with a Sector Commander. Our sector was commanded by Major C. Our crew was two officers, Captain F. and I, and two enlisted, Sergeants M. and L. We go to the morning briefing at about 7 AM, and get on the road to site 571-7 shortly after. Crew change over at about 10:30 and we are on alert. Major C comes out and talks with Captain F aboiut painting the sile elevator (the tube where the missile and the ground equipment for the ICBM are is called the missile silo). Captain F is mad, fuming that he didn't sign up for this, and grabs Sgt. M. and some gray paint and off they go to paint the silo elevator. They come back in about twenty minutes. I was surprised, because it should have taken hours to paint the elevator.

Next day Major C. comes out to the site early, before we could be relieved by the other crew, and he drags Capt. F. out to inspect the silo elevator. They came back quickly, and Major C.'s shoes were covered in gray paint (they were beautiful Corfram shoes with a high polish). Major C. left the site in a snit, looking silly (situation normal). Our commander wouldn't say anything about it. After crew change over we hit the road in our station wagon and Sgt. M. told me that the painting consisted of throwing cans full of paint at the elevator, splashing it all over. It got good coverage, and some of the excess dripped down the elevator shaft. I would have done an eye roll if we had such a thing back then. Major C. stepped right into the wet inch of paint, fouling his shoes. I guess you would have to have been there, because Major C. looked almost like an organ grinder monkey sometimes, and this was one of them.

Lator on, when I got off of a launch crew I became a sector maintenance officer, and site 571-7 was one of my three sites. I cleaned some of the mess I found at the bottom of the elevator shaft. I left some as a memorial to our continuing conflict with the lifers. Titan II site 571-7 is now the Titan II museum.
    Last edited by pajaro; May 23rd, 2018 at 06:29 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Pterodactylus (May 24th, 2018)

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: War Stories

"The kids can learn about the Holocaust,
    recite the litany of 'Never Again!'
    and get on with the task of finding their proper place
    in the loop of business-as-usual"

James R. Watson
    'Between Auschwitz and Tradition'

It is one thing to say 'Never Again', it is another to put those words into action, and how we put those words into action is something else entirely.

Thanks

James R. Watson

It is one thing to say 'Never Again', it is another to put those words into action, and how we put those words into action is something else entirely.
    Is this a story, or is it another diatribe? I guess you people number enough to take anything with the word "war" in it and go off and reinterpret the intent to favor a slant of your own. Some mantra of the antiwar stuff. That's no war story. That's really a rant dressed up in a pious façade. Apparently the beat goes on, and the warlike edginess is maintained by the antiwar people, just as it was in the 60s and 70s.

Thanks

Cool Re: War Stories

James R. Watson

Is this a story, or is it another diatribe? I guess you people number enough to take anything with the word "war" in it and go off and reinterpret the intent to favor a slant of your own. Some mantra of the antiwar stuff. That's no war story. That's really a rant dressed up in a pious façade. Apparently the beat goes on, and the warlike edginess is maintained by the antiwar people, just as it was in the 60s and 70s.
    It's a quote, from a book.

"You people"? Please, do tell me, what you think you know about me; a word of warning though, I think gun ownership should be compulsory... and you're a pussy-whipped retard, if you think otherwise.

Thanks

I think gun ownership should be compulsory... and you're a pussy-whipped retard, if you think otherwise.
    .... without words......
    I will not even comment such a mindless statement, you already disqualified yourself.

Thanks

I think gun ownership should be compulsory... and you're a pussy-whipped retard, if you think otherwise.
    That's hilarious!

You do realise that 22, 38 and 45 aren't numerical increases in IQ for carrying them don't you?

I'll not judge you for wanting one, but please don't judge me for not wanting one. I have some friends that own firearms, and I think that they are responsible people who can be trusted with them. I also know people I wouldn't trust with a wooden spoon.

Thanks

James R. Watson

It's a quote, from a book.

"You people"? Please, do tell me, what you think you know about me; a word of warning though, I think gun ownership should be compulsory... and you're a pussy-whipped retard, if you think otherwise.
    Is that all you have, a quote? No first hand account? Just another antiwar, anti-killing quote. None of us want killing or war. We don't need more attempts to convince the convinced.

Someone says everyone should carry a gun. I got rid of mine after PTSD and the ear ringing from an altitude chamber accident had me on the virge of using it on myself. That was enough.

How about some first hand accounts? Something to give a little pleasure? If all you can come up with to satisfy a compulsion to post is some quote not of an interesting or amusing story, why not just leave it. Part of the PTSD I still have is from all the antiwar harangues from the Vietnam era. If you didn't live through it, you won't understand. If you didn't live through it in uniform, if you didn't constantly have people, especially the ones your own age, harassing you as if you were an occupying force within your own country, you won't get it. People back then often actually made you feel bad about serving.

Thanks

I wrote a rather extensive reply to some of the ideas expressed in this thread. When I hit the Post button, a message appeared that there was some kind of token missing and my whole text was thrown into the bit bucket. I am not going to try to recreate the post. I have very little patience with computerized shenanigans these days; patience left with my geezer status.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    I wrote a rather extensive reply to some of the ideas expressed in this thread. When I hit the Post button, a message appeared that there was some kind of token missing and my whole text was thrown into the bit bucket. I am not going to try to recreate the post. I have very little patience with computerized shenanigans these days; patience left with my geezer status.
    Normally because you were logged out while you were typing. Happens to me all the time. Next time, there's an easy fix...

If it's logged you out when you try to post, DON'T log staright in again. Hit the back button on your browser, and you'll go back to the page with all your typing in. Then right click on any link on the page, and select "open in new page/window/tab" and log in on that second window instead. Click back on the window with all the text in, and hit post.

That should fix it for you.

Thanks

If I may be allowed to inject a little sanity into all this madness....

War is bad. War should be avoided whenever possible. War is sometimes necessary. War sometimes happens when it's not necessary.

I think the vast majority of voices on this thread can agree with that.

I have no real interest in heroic personal deeds, and how many were splattered, and with what. However, these were people in a job of work. I have heard funny warehousing tales, office tales, manufacturing tales, first responder tales. Why shouldn't I hear funny military downtime tales, or training tales, or feats of blind stupidity that crop up everywhere else people ever have a presence. They're people, funny things happen, stupid things happen, gentle and heartwarming things happen. Not everything military related is tales of conquest and slaughter. In my experience, they are tales the folks involved would rather not recount anyway.

Now all the nay sayers and doomsday preachers have had their say, can we move onto to the stories of interesting people please?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

ShugPug (May 25th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wuddus View Post

War is bad. War should be avoided whenever possible. War is sometimes necessary. War sometimes happens when it's not necessary.

I have no real interest in heroic personal deeds, and how many were splattered, and with what. However, these were people in a job of work. I have heard funny warehousing tales, office tales, manufacturing tales, first responder tales. Why shouldn't I hear funny military downtime tales, or training tales, or feats of blind stupidity that crop up everywhere else people ever have a presence. They're people, funny things happen, stupid things happen, gentle and heartwarming things happen. Not everything military related is tales of conquest and slaughter. In my experience, they are tales the folks involved would rather not recount anyway.

Now all the nay sayers and doomsday preachers have had their say, can we move onto to the stories of interesting people please?
    Ahhmmmmm...... you see the title of the thread right?

Itˋs named “War stories”, not “Tell us funny tales you had during your military service” which is a completely different thing.
    I liked pajaros story above but it was no “war story”......
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; May 25th, 2018 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks

Ahhmmmmm...... you see the title of the thread right?

Itˋs named “War stories”, not “Tell us funny tales you had during your military service” which is a completely different thing.
    I liked pajeros story above but it was no “war story”......
    Yeah, fair play.

I'll get my coat...

Thanks

That's hilarious!

You do realise that 22, 38 and 45 aren't numerical increases in IQ for carrying them don't you?

I'll not judge you for wanting one, but please don't judge me for not wanting one. I have some friends that own firearms, and I think that they are responsible people who can be trusted with them. I also know people I wouldn't trust with a wooden spoon.
    'Intelligence Quotients', really?!

A lot of people, including and especially those who would be judged by the so-called intelligent and educated as untrustworthy, already have guns; but that is all irrelevant as without responsiblity what motivation does one have for behaving responsibly?
    And unless you want to live in a dictatorship, you shouldn't be arguing in favour of others deciding who is worthy of being able to defend themselves or not.
    Nazi gun control legislation disarmed 'unreliable' persons - "the most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms." said Adolf Hitler.

Thanks

Cool Re: War Stories

Is that all you have, a quote? No first hand account? Just another antiwar, anti-killing quote. None of us want killing or war. We don't need more attempts to convince the convinced.
    What made you think it was an anti-war quote?

It's actually a reference to the current climate of mass ignorance, and obfuscation of the reality we inhabit, by the constant repetition of a lie - that somehow things have changed.

The author's point is that although the Holocaust was a threshold, very little has changed; the mass industrialisation and consumer culture is silencing the screams of the survivors.

Perhaps, actually you agree, as you too are a survivor?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Back to the topic: A Heartfelt "Thank You" to all American Veterans on this Memorial Day!
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 29th, 2018), calamus (June 1st, 2018), NibsForScript (May 28th, 2018), Paddler (May 28th, 2018), Robert (May 28th, 2018), ShugPug (May 28th, 2018)

Thanks

So far, I have nagged, cajoled, and persuaded three other guys to write their war stories. Two of them have wrung the subject dry and have begun to write their life histories and family anecdotes. They just got into writing and can't quit now. Not only that, but they are getting good at it. Holy carp on a cracker factorial. I am going to have to work just to keep up.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (June 13th, 2018)