Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: War Stories

Thanks

Default Re: War Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    It was a generalisation..

So, please spare us your lack of statistical understanding.

ps. in case you're wondering, I am an ex-serviceman

It was bull puckey and feminist polemics. A profound grasp of statistical analysis doesn't enter into it.
    I'm surprised you didn't manage to work "toxic masculinity" into your burblings.
    And no, I wasn't wondering whether or not you'd served. But now that I know, thank you for your service.
    Last edited by calamum; April 30th, 2018 at 05:11 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I think you missed the point by quite a wide margin, and I did say it was a generalised statement. It was you who used the outlier argument to refute a statement that is likely more true than not. There's no need to get het up about it. Discussion is a two-way street not a shouting match.

I am not a feminist. I am not an anything-ist really. It was merely an observation based on history and human psychology. It's also not the last word, and neither is yours.

ps. I didn't serve your country, so no need for thanks. Sorry, should have made that clear earlier.

Thanks

Could just be that, for the majority of the past, most societies suffered from a patriarchal inbalance and therefore overlooked the awesome combat potential of the female?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I think you missed the point by quite a wide margin, and I did say it was a generalised statement. It was you who used the outlier argument to refute a statement that is likely more true than not. There's no need to get het up about it. Discussion is a two-way street not a shouting match.

I am not a feminist. I am not an anything-ist really. It was merely an observation based on history and human psychology. It's also not the last word, and neither is yours.

ps. I didn't serve your country, so no need for thanks. Sorry, should have made that clear earlier.
    You bolded "men." That suggests to me that the statement was significantly more than a mere observation.
    I'm finding this exchange tedious. I would rather discuss fountain pens, inks, paper and such.
    What country did you serve, if I might ask? A friendly, I hope! But then again, I suppose being true to one's own flag is what counts.
    Last edited by calamum; May 1st, 2018 at 05:58 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Cool tradin war stories...

more about Rojava and direct-democracy...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_KTvx8AnFU

Thanks

I was a srudent pilot, an ICBM launch officer and a missile maintenance officer. Most of the things I remember are funny, but sume gave me nightmares for years. 1970 to 1974. Then I worked in IT for a city and a couple of companies after retiring. Hard to do nothing, but now I am ok with it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Folks, this is a thread more for contributions relating to the lives of Veterans, less for the usual bickering. So here's another veteran's story for you:

Born 1906 to a west Texas sharecropper, one of 14 children, Mac chopped cotton in the Texas heat and tried to save his little sisters (also working the fields) from the hourly threat of snakebite. At sixteen his Dad ordered him to quit school and work the cotton full time like his brothers. He said "No more!" and moved to town, working and living in a service garage until he finished high school.

In 1923 he joined the Army, all those snakes he killed made him a crack shot and he taught marksmanship. He also served as a Medic, but spent most of his time as a second base man for the Army baseball team. After he served his term, he was recruited by the Washington Senators but ruined his knee in the car accident that killed his fiance after the first ball season.

He took a deep breath and he moved north, working as a morgue attendant and farming full time. When WWll came, he volunteered but was then too old for consideration. He added a second hospital job and thought it his contribution to the war effort. He lost that wife and children as well to another random tragedy.

He took a deep breath and moved north again. He ran a morgue and taught medical students, always thankful for the training he'd received in the Army. He taught young men marksmanship and encouraged them to serve in the armed force of their choice.

Nobody was killed, many young boys were nursed through meningitis and influenza or became marksmen themselves. He was a peace time patriot who served as he could and who was in turn served by his country.

Rest in Peace 1906 - 1984
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Why don't I see anyone seeking out the stories of Peace Corp Volunteers, VISTA veterans, people who tirelessly work homeless shelters and food kitchens and food banks and such? Why don't I see anyone fawning over them by thanking them for "their service"?

The hypocrisy scale rises high on this one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    Why don't I see anyone seeking out the stories of Peace Corp Volunteers, VISTA veterans, people who tirelessly work homeless shelters and food kitchens and food banks and such? Why don't I see anyone fawning over them by thanking them for "their service"?

Propaganda. Americans pat themselves on the back when they kill people around the world. There’s no money to be made in peace.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (May 7th, 2018)

Thanks

You are always free to start this type of thread to proclaim their noteworthy service. Praising one type of contribution in a particular thread does not imply disdain for others. It's merely that the focus (and title) of this thread is the stories of War Veterans.

Thanks

Easy fix. Start a thread.

One person asked for accounts from people who took one life path, you ask for accounts from different people who took a different life path. Simple. I'm sure the forum won't fall over from two different types of people from two different life paths discussing their experiences on two different threads.

Or am I missing the point here? Is there another reason why some people shouldn't be able to share their life experiences with others?

Everyone has a different tale to tell, and it's by listening to those who think differently from ourselves, and have experienced different things, that we grow wiser. If we only listen to those who think like us, and deny the others a voice, we don't just remain ignorant ourselves, but forcibly impose ignorance on others.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post

Propaganda. Americans pat themselves on the back when they kill people around the world. There’s no money to be made in peace.
    Friend, the stories I publish here from personal aquaintence and from the lives of those we bury at our funeral home are in no way propaganda. Nor did any of the men I was able to speak with congratulate themselves on the killing involved in a war. They acted as they saw fit and contributed to the security of their country. They were sincere in their belief of their cause which played out in the '40's in WWll.

Thanks

Not a single american soldier has died in defense of his country in last 70 years. And yet, you’re running out of countries in this world that you haven’t been at war with during this time. Sorry if I don’t see these people as heroes.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 587 Posts

(Sorry VertOlive... I thought I was done bickering, but this post is over-the-top and demands a reply.)

The online Merriam Webster gives two meanings for hypocrisy:

1. a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not : behavior that contradicts what one claims to believe or feel
    2. an act or instance of hypocrisy

This is a thread about veterans' combat-related experiences. To accuse people of hypocrisy because they've not gone off-topic and begun praising volunteers in soup kitchens and homeless shelters suggests you need to study English. In the timeless words of Inigo Montoya (the Mandy Patinkin character in The Princess Bride), "I don't think that word means what you think it means."

On second thought, I suppose that spitting on combat veterans isn't entirely off-topic.

Never mind.

Thanks

Well title of the thread is war stories, so we can also start with stories of all the war crimes and disgusting acts american military complex does around the globe.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well title of the thread is war stories, so we can also start with stories of all the war crimes and disgusting acts american military complex does around the globe.
    Excellent. Please do start your own thread. We generally encourage the free exchange of ideas here, my friend.
    Last edited by VertOlive; May 5th, 2018 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks

Sorry if I don’t see these people as heroes.
    Fine by me that you personally believe this. But why come to a thread about war veterans and spew venom? This wasn't started as a political thread, but as a personal memorial offering. Do you have something positive to offer us?

Thanks

No, nothing positive about American war veterans, no. The only reason you're not judged as war criminals is because nobody can enforce it upon you. High ground to celebrate you got there.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

Thanks

No, nothing positive about American war veterans, no.
    Well I can help you there, my friend. This Texas county is exceptionally well populated with living WWII veterans who are passing on at a great rate of speed, given their long lives. I'll try to post more often here to share their stories.
    Last edited by VertOlive; May 5th, 2018 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks

You’re right. Let’s celebrate how america managed to take away from afghan kids pretty much the only thing they had; a view at the sky without being terrified. Here’s a nice report: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K4NRJoCNHIs

But hey, this is ok, because they’re not americans so fuck those kids, right? They should die for freedom of americans ... in Afghanistan?

Or should we celebrate how usa nuked a country twice that had over 70 cities in ruins AFTER they already asked for peace a dozen times?

Or whose deaths shall we celebrate? Vietnam? A dozen countries in the middle east? Serbia?

You turned war into a business. This is a forum, a place to exchange ideas. Here’s an idea: stop fetishizing deaths of millions you’ve killed.