Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: War Stories

Thanks

Cool Re: War Stories

"A veteran is someone who has served in the armed forces for at least one day. There are around 2.6 million veterans in the UK. When servicemen and women leave the armed forces, their healthcare is the responsibility of the NHS." (the same as any other citizen/resident of the UK...)
    https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Milita.../veterans.aspx

On the flip-side...
    https://thewaltercumpershunterclub.wordpress.com

Thanks

Default Re: War Stories

Thank you to all the brave men and women who valiantly tortured completely innocent people based on their name. Special thanks to supreme court of justice judge Antonin Scalia who realized torture works, despite all scientific evidence, because he saw it works on tv show 24. You are true patriots!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    Thank you to all the brave men and women who valiantly tortured completely innocent people based on their name. Special thanks to supreme court of justice judge Antonin Scalia who realized torture works, despite all scientific evidence, because he saw it works on tv show 24. You are true patriots!

I'd definitely take Stammheim over Guantanamo any day, but i wouldn't want Jean-Paul Sartre being allowed in to visit me!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

OK here is another war story as this thread seems not want to die.

In 1792 this man died at age of 32 defending his people and country against technological far superior invaders which outnumbered the inhabitants of the north american subcontinent by far.
    The invaders stolen everything from the native inhabitants, destroyed their livelihood, commited genocide and annihilated almost all members of the native inhabitants.

Quote 029 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

(Croxley - Dickinson ..... Diamine Calligraphy Passion)

Hmmmm, seems that nothing really changed since then.
    History is still written by the winners and the viewpoint depends on the side you stand.......
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; June 13th, 2018 at 05:51 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 1,644 Posts

A personal friend died this week. He served his country and did a tour in Vietnam in the Army. In his later years, he was part of the "Volleys for Veterans", a group of former military men who performed the part of the honor guard at the funerals of veterans.

Requiescat in pace, amicus.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

calamus (August 9th, 2018), Robert (June 13th, 2018), ShugPug (June 13th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Ferchrissakes, take your one-sided political commentary to the politics forum. Taking a dump in this thread just makes you look like a douche.

VertOlive - Sorry about your friend.

Trump.jpg
    Last edited by dneal; June 22nd, 2018 at 06:14 PM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

calamus (August 9th, 2018), countrydirt (June 23rd, 2018), ShugPug (June 22nd, 2018), VertOlive (December 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Ferchrissakes, take your one-sided political commentary to the politics forum. Taking a dump in this thread just makes you look like a douche.

VertOlive - Sorry about your friend.

Trump.jpg
    You're a better man than I.....I wouldn't waste my breath on these deadwood mother,,,,,,,

Fred
    Last edited by Freddie; July 4th, 2018 at 08:27 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Freddie For This Useful Post:

calamus (August 9th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Back on topic...

In 2004 my Battalion HQ was in Luxembourg. They worked with the U.S. Embassy and Luxembourg government to put on a 60th Anniversary celebration of the deeds of young Americans during the Battle of the Bulge. I was fortunate enough to get to chat with many of these men.

Battle of Bulge 2004 007.jpg

One story that sticks in my mind was the answer to the question "how did you stay warm"? That may seem like a strange detail, but anyone who has served and knows how it feels to be at the mercy of the weather understands the significance. December 1944 in Belgium was particularly harsh, with night time temperatures well below freezing. History.com gives this account: "As the battle raged, blizzards and freezing rain often reduced visibility to almost zero. Frost covered much of the soldiers’ equipment, and tanks had to be chiseled out of ice after they froze to the ground overnight. Many wounded soldiers froze to death before they were rescued, and thousands of American G.I.s were eventually treated for cases of frostbite and trench foot." You can also read this veteran's account. Even the best equipped Soldiers had little more than an extra pair of socks, scarf and gloves, and wool trench coat. Lighting a fire could get you killed, either due to the smoke during the day or the light created by the flames at night.

Anyway, the technique these gentlemen used was: "We would throw a grenade to blast away a clearing in the snow. One guy would spread his trench coat on the frozen ground and lay on it in a sort of fetal position. The other would sit on his hips, and drape his trench coat around them both. We'd take turns like this through the night, pulling guard and getting some sleep".

That's the sort of thing you don't get in the history books. That's the everyday sacrifice these men offered for the liberation of Europe. That's the minor detail that interests a fellow Soldier, equipped with modern kit. Most people today couldn't fathom it.

Anyway, it was a great event. Clearly this old veteran enjoyed at least a portion of it (one of my favorite pictures).

Battle of Bulge 2004 009.jpg
    Last edited by dneal; June 23rd, 2018 at 04:30 PM.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 12th, 2018), calamus (August 9th, 2018), Doggy Daddy (March 1st, 2023), junglejim (August 16th, 2018), VertOlive (July 16th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Back on topic...

In 2004 my Battalion HQ was in Luxembourg. They worked with the U.S. Embassy and Luxembourg government to put on a 60th Anniversary celebration of the deeds of young Americans during the Battle of the Bulge. I was fortunate enough to get to chat with many of these men.

Battle of Bulge 2004 007.jpg

One story that sticks in my mind was the answer to the question "how did you stay warm"? That may seem like a strange detail, but anyone who has served and knows how it feels to be at the mercy of the weather understands the significance. December 1944 in Belgium was particularly harsh, with night time temperatures well below freezing. History.com gives this account: "As the battle raged, blizzards and freezing rain often reduced visibility to almost zero. Frost covered much of the soldiers’ equipment, and tanks had to be chiseled out of ice after they froze to the ground overnight. Many wounded soldiers froze to death before they were rescued, and thousands of American G.I.s were eventually treated for cases of frostbite and trench foot." You can also read this veteran's account. Even the best equipped Soldiers had little more than an extra pair of socks, scarf and gloves, and wool trench coat. Lighting a fire could get you killed, either due to the smoke during the day or the light created by the flames at night.

Anyway, the technique these gentlemen used was: "We would throw a grenade to blast away a clearing in the snow. One guy would spread his trench coat on the frozen ground and lay on it in a sort of fetal position. The other would sit on his hips, and drape his trench coat around them both. We'd take turns like this through the night, pulling guard and getting some sleep".

That's the sort of thing you don't get in the history books. That's the everyday sacrifice these men offered for the liberation of Europe. That's the minor detail that interests a fellow Soldier, equipped with modern kit. Most people today couldn't fathom it.

Anyway, it was a great event. Clearly this old veteran enjoyed at least a portion of it (one of my favorite pictures).

Battle of Bulge 2004 009.jpg
    Exactly. Great story. I envied those guys who could still fit into their uniforms. I need to lose four more inches from my waist, but the shirts still fit. I gave most of the uniforms to my cousins. I saved a couple of missile blue fatigues to work on my car.
    Last edited by pajaro; June 27th, 2018 at 01:26 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

We buried two Army veterans this last week. A 71 yr old Viet Nam vet whose prayer to "Just make it back to the ranch in one piece" was answered, and an 88 yr old Korean war man who came home to his cotton fields and refused to speak of those years to anyone as far as his family recalled.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

calamus (August 9th, 2018), Jon Szanto (July 16th, 2018), pajaro (July 18th, 2018)

Thanks

It's hard to talk about that stuff. My father, a US Navy radioman, landed with the Marines on Tarawa and Saipan. The only thing he ever told me about it was "I almost got my head blown off by a Jap shell."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

As a disabled vet in a chair I applaud anyone who reaches out to our veterans.

I volunteer in a State run Veteran's facility and maybe those of you whom think the OP is nonsensical should visit like wise. While not all veterans want or are even able to remember I find the VAST majority are elated and humbled that someone is interested to write down their experiences and pass down to the next generation. Veterans for the most part are largely forgotten. we forget abt the veterans who served in between combat, which makes up the majority, are now getting older who many feel they are no longer an asset to society.

I do not expect everyone to agree, but darn I get vexed when someone attempts to do a good will for a veteran and there is always a Judas in the bunch to debase when someone reaches out.
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

NibsForScript (August 13th, 2018), VertOlive (August 12th, 2018)

Thanks

I know three vets who are writing their memoirs. They are going to meet for an eyeball QSO next month. They are eager to meet each other and discuss the stories they have written about their experiences in combat and in garrison alike. I will be privileged to attend the moot. We will grill out in the backyard and hoist a few brews.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

NibsForScript (August 13th, 2018), VertOlive (August 12th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post

I volunteer in a State run Veteran's facility and maybe those of you whom think the OP is nonsensical should visit like wise. While not all veterans want or are even able to remember I find the VAST majority are elated and humbled that someone is interested to write down their experiences and pass down to the next generation. Veterans for the most part are largely forgotten. we forget abt the veterans who served in between combat, which makes up the majority, are now getting older who many feel they are no longer an asset to society.

I do not expect everyone to agree, but darn I get vexed when someone attempts to do a good will for a veteran and there is always a Judas in the bunch to debase when someone reaches out.
    You took however number of years out of your life to serve. I hope you never feel useless. Those who did not enter combat supported the mission, deterrence. Everybody who served in any capacity was part of that.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (August 28th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post

You took however number of years out of your life to serve. I hope you never feel useless. Those who did not enter combat supported the mission, deterrence. Everybody who served in any capacity was part of that.
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

26. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (August 28th, 2018)

Thanks

We buried a 95 year old WWII vet with military honors this week. He was a machine gunner who survived 4 years' combat in the Pacific.

He came home, was a mailman for 40 years, then a Senior Center volunteer for another 20. And a deacon for his church from his first day home.

Rest in peace, Leon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    We buried a 95 year old WWII vet with military honors this week. He was a machine gunner who survived 4 years' combat in the Pacific.

He came home, was a mailman for 40 years, then a Senior Center volunteer for another 20. And a deacon for his church from his first day home.

Rest in peace, Leon.
    I hope Leon left his family some memoirs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    It's hard to talk about that stuff. My father, a US Navy radioman, landed with the Marines on Tarawa and Saipan. The only thing he ever told me about it was "I almost got my head blown off by a Jap shell."
    This.

Thanks

I took Art on his last ride yesterday. He was an 89 year old rancher who served as a Marine in Korea until he was wounded and sent home. He spent the rest of his life like most in these parts: ranching and raising a family. He did leave behind his Purple Heart and old photos for his family to hold dear.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

NibsForScript (November 11th, 2018), Robert (November 11th, 2018)

Thanks

Another vet has left us. I don't know if he left any stories behind or not.

In the '60s, out behind friend Tom's Mother's house there used to be an octagonal outbuilding. There was electricity, an old refrigerator, a desk, and a few chairs. A group of us (Tom, Jim, Ed, John, and I) used to hang out there on Friday nights (and Saturday nights too, when we didn't have dates). A few other classmates would drop in, too, from time to time. We would sit and talk and smoke and joke into the wee hours.

Some of us had guitars and we would play and sing together. One of us would write a song and we would play it maybe like Bob Dylan and then rearrange it to sound like Buddy Holly, and then various folk music groups. Then we would wad it up and throw it into the waste basket and someone would write another one. Songs are cheap when they come to you that easy. Someone would bring a stone jug of homemade wine and somebody else would bring a bag of chips or some cheesecake.

There was a bare light bulb hanging from the center of the ceiling but its light was too garish for us. We preferred to sit in the gloom with a candle or two or maybe an oil lantern.

"By the old wooden stove where our hats was hung
    Our words were told, our songs were sung
    Where we longed for nothin' and were satisfied
    Talkin' and a-jokin' about the world outside"

-from "Bob Dylan's Dream"-

John and I met in the 6th grade (1952?). We went through high school together and swapped rides to college for four years. In the late '60s we were both drafted into the Army. We both made it back alive. In 2009, our high school graduating class celebrated our 45th anniversary. John talked and walked like he was intoxicated. A stroke had left him that way.

Last week, John was eating dinner with a friend. John began to choke on his food. His companion panicked and left him. When she had summoned the courage to return, John was dead.

That has to be a hard thing, to fall off the twig like that, abandoned. It is even a hard thing to know about.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

calamus (December 27th, 2018), Doggy Daddy (March 1st, 2023), pajaro (November 24th, 2018), VertOlive (November 26th, 2018)