Thread: Rhodia Paper in 'Webbies' is Different to Pads

Thanks

Default Rhodia Paper in 'Webbies' is Different to Pads

I really don't enjoy writing in the webnotebooks (colloquially called 'webbies' by some) compared to writing on the basic pads.

I find the webbies have a scratchy quality where the pads do not at all. I do have a bit of an obsession with smoothness of my nibs, which is why I pay way too much attention to this kind of thing, but it's definitely there.

Has anyone else noticed this same thing? The webbie paper is just a bit nicer to write on than copier paper for me. The pads feel pure luxury.

Are there any bound journal type books with better paper? I've never really tried any other brands except for Moleskine, but as it's not 1990 anymore I've left them behind.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Default Re: Rhodia Paper in 'Webbies' is Different to Pads

I'm not a Rhodia fan, especially their 90gsm ivory vellum, which is too slick for me. I prefer some feedback from my pens when I write. Saying that I do like papers such as Elias and Tomoe. I use Taroko Shop journals, from Steven Chang. He has both 52gsm and 68gsm weight Tomoegawa. They are very well made, and he ships very quickly.

I've also recently bought one of his A5 dark brown leather covers, to use with my notebooks. It's gorgeous.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TarokoS...on_id=16526317

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (November 6th, 2017), urushi4u (November 6th, 2017)

Thanks

Have you tried other styles of Rhodia paper? Rhodia has nice, smooth paper (I enjoy using it), but I wonder if your observations are more the brand than the binding. Based on your description, you are comparing a nicer paper to more “run of the mill” papers like copy paper.

If it doesn’t break the budget, try experimenting with a small spiral Rhodia (preferable in this case) or Claire Fountaine pad as a point of comparison. If it really is the binding, the Rhodia spiral will feel different. If it is the paper, then these nicer qualities should feel similar.

Also keep in mind that the thickness of the writing surface (one sheet vs multiple) and the pen angle (bending your hand due to coils, etc) may be playing a bit of a role as well.

Sorry, I feel like I’m running the variables for a class lab. Try it out, this should be a fun experiment.

I hope the suggestion helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vespagirl View Post
    Have you tried other styles of Rhodia paper? Rhodia has nice, smooth paper (I enjoy using it), but I wonder if your observations are more the brand than the binding. Based on your description, you are comparing a nicer paper to more “run of the mill” papers like copy paper.
    I am comparing rhodia webbies to rhodia pads. The rhodia pads are smoother than the paper in the webbies. I'm sorry if I didn't explain this clearly.

Rhodia Pads > Copy Paper > Rhodia Webbie Paper

Thanks

Which pads? Classic, R, Ice? Might make a difference.

To be honest I'm not a fan of the webbies either, but more because of bleed-through and feathering rather than scratchiness. All in all I've rather lost my love for Rhodia, which is not good news given how many pads of the stuff I have. The Japanese seem to have the paper thing sorted, but they seem to favour soft bindings rather than hard. Have you tried Black 'n' Red (or is it Red 'n' Black? I can never remember) I'm not smitten myself, but many are.

Thanks

I like Rhodia paper. Even the pads seem different form each other. My "Ice" pad seems dryer than some of my others, and the blanks notebooks seem to have some kind of gloss that feels a bit like "sizing." I sometimes wonder if the webbies give one of my nibs trouble because the page doesn't always lie flat. A nib that feel s off or scratchy when writing on a webbie sometimes improves when I hold it down flat, which bugs me when I have to do that.
    I go back and forth between which I like better, and even that depends on which pen and ink I have going . . .
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

I noticed my Webby had a different grade of paper than the pads or staplebound notebooks I used. So I just turned mine into a pencil notebook and filled it up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by urushi4u View Post
    I really don't enjoy writing in the webnotebooks (colloquially called 'webbies' by some) compared to writing on the basic pads.

I find the webbies have a scratchy quality where the pads do not at all. I do have a bit of an obsession with smoothness of my nibs, which is why I pay way too much attention to this kind of thing, but it's definitely there.

Has anyone else noticed this same thing? The webbie paper is just a bit nicer to write on than copier paper for me. The pads feel pure luxury.

Are there any bound journal type books with better paper? I've never really tried any other brands except for Moleskine, but as it's not 1990 anymore I've left them behind.
    Yes, definitely. I'm just starting to use quality paper, and my first two Rhodia purchases were a #16 pad and a Webnotebook. The pad has much nicer paper! I'm not going to buy another Webbie, but I'll keep buying the pads.

A luxurious, if pricey, bound A5 notebook is the Apica CD Premium. Not only is the paper super smooth, but it lays flat.

(My first post here .

Mark G
    Longmont, CO USA

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mdgcolorado For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (November 6th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

It's been some years since they changed the paper in the Webbies. I want to say it was around 2008 or 2009 when it was announced/discovered. It is definitely lower grade than what it was before the change. Even the pads seems to have degraded in quality over the years.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot