Thread: More on Inherited Pen Cabinet and Pens

Thanks

Default More on Inherited Pen Cabinet and Pens

I now have photos of all 15 pens and am ready to post them here. But first, please forgive a stupid question or two or three. (I am new to all of this and am 75 years old, so some things do not come quite as easily as they once did!)

Do you think it would be possible to attach all 15 photos to a single post? (The photos are 72dpi, physical size 7"x10", file size about 400kb each.) I'll attach just one to this post to illustrate my approach to this.

Do you think it would be better to post the pen pics in the various pen categories on the forum? Or would I lose the continuity established here in the paraphernalia category?

Do you think it would be better to post the pics on an image-sharing site and just put a link here in the forum?

Is it okay to ask for opinions on the current value of the pens? The only reason I would ask for this is that the person who left these to me in his will asked that I sell them and donate the proceeds to his local "no-kill" animal shelter. (He was a devoted dog lover.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Default Re: More on Inherited Pen Cabinet and Pens

Try to upload photos to image-sharing site, like Flickr. After that you can create a single thread with all your photos, some descriptions, prices, postage options, payment method, where are you shipping local/international.

Detailed photographs of the pen should contain whole pen, uncapped pen, nib, filling system. Also will be good if you can include a comparison photo with the pen capped along with a coin, another regular pen like BIC, or Parker Jotter to have a clear idea about sizes.
    Information about pen will be brand, nib size and material, body materials, limited edition if so, sizes.

Hope that help,
    usk15

3. The Following User Says Thank You to usk15 For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (November 9th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,368 Times in 3,979 Posts

The maximum number of photos that can be added to a post on FPG is 10, but I don't think there is a total limit per user. I could be wrong.

If you have a local auction house, they will give you an estimated value for all of the pens

Thanks

Upload to imgur then link from there, or flickr if you're already on there.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

fstop, I just want to say that the lighting in your photos are amazing.

I guess from your username that you are a photographer

I use flickr for years, I like them enough to pay for the professional account. But even the free one allows you to upload tons of photos.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

I've posted the photos of all 15 pens on imgur. Here's the link: https://imgur.com/a/bh2lL

Thanks

Beautiful pens. A lovely Pelikan 400 old style in blue. The red Montblanc has a lovely broad nib. congratulations. Vera

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

#7 Graf von Faber Castel Guilloche:

#15 Sheaffer Legacy. If bottom knob is round Legacy 2, if faceted Legacy.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Your relative liked broad nibs, stubs even!

Since you like the Optima, you should keep it. It is made by the Italian firm, Aurora. "Auroloid" is not a model name, but rather a name Aurora designated to their plastic celluloid used in Aurora's top-tier pen range. There are other colors of Auroloid, too. The nib units are easy to exchange in the event you prefer a narrower or broader tip, and make for an easy flush of the barrel. Finally, they have an interesting little back-up ink reservoir in the event you're almost out.

The blue Pelikan is an M400, the mainstay of many writers who use fountain pens. If you intend to try your hand at writing with fountain pens, this IMHO is the most practical pen in the box, and yet, it is high quality. Like the Optima, the nib units are easy to swap out and the pens are easy to clean. These are the king of modular fountain pens.

The big black 149 piston-filler is a classic in its own right, and they are still being made. If you need either a big fat pen or you like prestige, keep it. On the other hand, if you want to sell, the value of these is easy to establish because they are plentiful and always in demand. Your stub nib can add value, and if it has an ebonite feed, that can add a bit more.

The bordeaux 144 cartridge/converter is no longer in production. Your stub nib is unusual in these slim pens. 144s are easy to value because they are plentiful, but are not as desirable as your 149. The corroded band at the section on your pen is a common complaint; they can be replaced by Montblanc or aftermarket.

Now that I see the photo of the sterling Sheaffer, I'm not so confident I called it right. The smooth sterling Legacy 1 I used to own did not have the black band between the barrel and the knob, though the silver overlay may be slipping off the knob exposing a bit of black plastic. But also, the knob doesn't appear squared-off like the Legacy that I had.

The desirable Parker 75 Cisele is sterling silver, and easy to value because there are plenty of them around. I don't know why I missed identifying that one in the box.

I've had Stipulas, but not enough to help you identify those two.

Okay, that's enough from me.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Now that I see the photo of the sterling Sheaffer, I'm not so confident I called it right. The smooth sterling Legacy 1 I used to own did not have the black band between the barrel and the knob, though the silver overlay may be slipping off the knob exposing a bit of black plastic. But also, the knob doesn't appear squared-off like the Legacy that I had.
    It is likely a later Platinum Plated version and not silver. Maybe Palladium plated.
    Last edited by jar; November 12th, 2017 at 06:00 AM.