Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2013 DC Fountain Pen Supershow

Thanks

Talking Re: 2013 DC Fountain Pen Supershow

Quote Originally Posted by AltecGreen View Post

You don't find a huge quantity of vintage European pens at US shows. Your best bet is to check out specific dealers who are known to deal in those pens. Vintage Italians are hard to find period. When I go to LA, I might find maybe 20 vintage Italians out of the many thousands in most years. Many are overpriced because of the scarcity in the US. Soennecken are even worse. FYI-vintage Japanese pens are equally scarce at US shows.
    I totally agree. I was in the DC show from Fri to Sun, and only spot one exhibitor selling vintage Italians. Here are what I got: an Ancora 87, and an Omas Extra 556F (the bigger 557F in the picture as a comparison).

Ancora.jpg
    2 Omas Extras.jpg
    Omas Extra.jpg

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gentlyom For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (August 14th, 2013), GourmetPens (August 15th, 2013), penultress (August 14th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Default Re: 2013 DC Fountain Pen Supershow

Quote Originally Posted by gentlyom View Post

You don't find a huge quantity of vintage European pens at US shows. Your best bet is to check out specific dealers who are known to deal in those pens. Vintage Italians are hard to find period. When I go to LA, I might find maybe 20 vintage Italians out of the many thousands in most years. Many are overpriced because of the scarcity in the US. Soennecken are even worse. FYI-vintage Japanese pens are equally scarce at US shows.
    I totally agree. I was in the DC show from Fri to Sun, and only spot one exhibitor selling vintage Italians. Here are what I got: an Ancora 87, and an Omas Extra 556F (the bigger 557F in the picture as a comparison).

Ancora.jpg
    2 Omas Extras.jpg
    Omas Extra.jpg
    Great finds!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

gentlyom (August 15th, 2013)

Thanks

There were a few vendors from Europe, but I think theirs were mostly MBs, Pelikans, Conways, Onotos, etc. You really have to look closely to find others. In my experience vendors may have a handful of "NoName" vintage European pens.

I am still riding the post-Pen Show high and having more than a little trouble reintegrating into my real world. What fun it was to see the pens and spend time with the pen community. I was really happy to have met some of you at the Saturday night Show and Tell. Penultress - that Nakaya is haunting me! I am going to have to pull the trigger on the stone Portable that I've had my eye on! Tracy, thanks for the advice on the Visconti Blue Typhoon - it's coming my way from Bryant ( he didn't have a stub at the show).

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steph For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (August 14th, 2013), penultress (August 14th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    There were a few vendors from Europe, but I think theirs were mostly MBs, Pelikans, Conways, Onotos, etc. You really have to look closely to find others. In my experience vendors may have a handful of "NoName" vintage European pens.

I am still riding the post-Pen Show high and having more than a little trouble reintegrating into my real world. What fun it was to see the pens and spend time with the pen community. I was really happy to have met some of you at the Saturday night Show and Tell. Penultress - that Nakaya is haunting me! I am going to have to pull the trigger on the stone Portable that I've had my eye on! Tracy, thanks for the advice on the Visconti Blue Typhoon - it's coming my way from Bryant ( he didn't have a stub at the show).
    I am having the same trouble reintegrating into my chaotic life, I had such a good time! And I am so glad you have a Typhoon on the way. Really fun pen to use. The Nakaya is haunting me too, big time. O_o Amazing.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

penultress (August 14th, 2013)

Thanks

I've scaled back on my acquiring more pens, but there was a blue Esterbrook with a master nib that was just too nice to pass up. Also brought some new people with me who were curious as to what a pen show even was.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (August 14th, 2013)

Thanks

It was great meeting you too, Steph! And fountainpenkid, don't feel bad about missing pens. For what it's worth, I was determined to see all the tables over a longer period of 1.5 days and still managed to miss a lot of them, including Rick's table.

Thanks

I LOVE the stone finish Nakayas! We'll have to compare at the next show!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Very nice finds.

Did Gary Lehrer have anything at his table?

Thanks

Very nice finds.

Did Gary Lehrer have anything at his table?
    Thanks Altec. But your Extra Lucens is more beautiful than my Extras. I am still looking for a pen like yours.

Unfortunately Gary but did not bring many Italians, however he showed me a couple of Omas 555 in silver marble, both are beauties.

Thanks

FYI-vintage Japanese pens are equally scarce at US shows.
    I was at the show and had my whole collection of Japanese metal pens (most NOS with stickers, some matching Pencils and BP also), Pilot and Platinums, mainly from the 60's and 70's, so not too old......but barely got a sniff, and didn't sell any of them!! Had a rare Black Striped first generation capless, an uncommon Custom White Stripe and a Black Striped MYU among the bunch. I don't think anyone even picked them up! Kinda weird...

Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by talkinghead View Post
    I was at the show and had my whole collection of Japanese metal pens (most NOS with stickers, some matching Pencils and BP also), Pilot and Platinums, mainly from the 60's and 70's, so not too old......but barely got a sniff, and didn't sell any of them!! Had a rare Black Striped first generation capless, an uncommon Custom White Stripe and a Black Striped MYU among the bunch. I don't think anyone even picked them up! Kinda weird...

Rick

The 60's and 70's stuff don't get much attention at US except for specific pieces (think white stripe MYU, Buddhist Scripture pens etc.). When I talk about vintage, I mean early 1950's or earlier. Definitely wartime and pre-war pens. Those are the pens I collect and they are even hard to find in Japan.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 172 Posts

Rick. I did. I picked up the black striped one and you showed me the white striped one. I liked them, but I must say, currently my pockets are full of lint. So I socialized at the Pen Show. It was nice talking with you (I was the short lady with the curly hair, not Deborah Bazel, the other one).

Quote Originally Posted by talkinghead View Post

Rick

An eye for insignificant details is a good sign you will do just fine in medical school...
    As a sharp wit and powerful sarcasm is a sign that you already have.

Somebody

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plistumi View Post
    Rick. I did. I picked up the black striped one and you showed me the white striped one. I liked them, but I must say, currently my pockets are full of lint. So I socialized at the Pen Show. It was nice talking with you (I was the short lady with the curly hair, not Deborah Bazel, the other one).
    Hi,
    Yes I remember now...I believe you told me your name too, was it M***a? ( I didn't want to spell it out incase you don't want your real named posted) But thanks for looking!

Rick

Thanks

I hope it was you who was able to help the gentleman David.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I hope it was you who was able to help the gentleman David.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks
    I happened to be at right place at right time, and I do have some experience with this sort.

He is doing well now, which is the key thing.

regards

daivd
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (August 20th, 2013), earthdawn (August 20th, 2013), gentlyom (August 20th, 2013), Jon Szanto (August 19th, 2013), reprieve (August 20th, 2013), Tracy Lee (August 20th, 2013)