It didn't begin well.

I thought it but decided to not say it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 18th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,443 Times in 2,523 Posts

Default Re: Little 'elp please.

Let's see if I can nip this in the bud:

1. Search eBay for your item with same attributes with filter set on SOLD listings in the region you intend to sell.

2. Determine the mean price (or average price if you must) from (a.) that search and (b.) your item's condition.

3. Choose a classified forum relevant to your item (e.g., FPGeeks or FPN classifieds for fountain pens), or choose eBay.

4. Offer your item with description and photos at the price you determined adjusted for how quickly you want to sell.

5. Be prepared to negotiate the price.

6. Don't try to encourage bidding for your stuff in discussion forums, which suggests laziness with respect to 1 to 5, above. And it won't make you popular.

Good luck with offloading them thar' pens.
    Last edited by FredRydr; November 18th, 2017 at 02:12 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

catbert (November 18th, 2017), Chrissy (November 18th, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 18th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (November 18th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gunderson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I’ll bid 125 on the Parker.
    Hmmm, just figured how to do the qoute thing. Heh.

So, the average from the last 4 sales in ebay that I could find of black parkers with two end pieces is $233, and your offering $125. Amiright?
    The devil is in the details. You need to learn those details before you can make reasonable pricing.

Here is a picture of a similar Parker. It too has two end pieces (actually referred to as Double Jewel) but this pen would be at least a full order of magnitude more valuable than yours.

The differences are minor yet will have a significant effect on the value. The pen above is in a color that was not as common as black, the end cap jewels are aluminum instead of plastic, the filler shaft is also aluminum and the cap is Sterling silver. The biggest value adding feature though is the stamp of 41 with three dots.

You have a fairly nice Parker 51 that was restored by a reputable person but honestly, not something I would pay more than $125.00 for. In an eBay auction it's very possible it might sell for more.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 18th, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 18th, 2017)

Thanks

Thank jar. Puts it in perspective. The one I have is the more common version without any of the special features you mention. Also for those casting nasturtiums earlier, I wasnt seeking bids in this forum, just trying to figure out a FAIR price. See, not trying to gouge and also trying not to be taken for a rube. Is it always this unfriendly when a feller comes asking a Q?

Thanks

Thank jar. Puts it in perspective. The one I have is the more common version without any of the special features you mention. Also for those casting nasturtiums earlier, I wasnt seeking bids in this forum, just trying to figure out a FAIR price. See, not trying to gouge and also trying not to be taken for a rube. Is it always this unfriendly when a feller comes asking a Q?
    The initial digs regards use of self-deprecating writing style and attitude were a lil' harsh, but the help meted out was considered, concise, useful, and objective - perhaps more so than would be the norm...

Thanks

Is it always this unfriendly when a feller comes asking a Q?
    No. It was just my turn.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Annie (November 19th, 2017), Dreck (November 28th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (November 19th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

When I told you to spell Sheaffer correctly, I was not being unfriendly. I fairly regularly pick up pens on eBay cheaply because they have been mispelled, with the result that those looking for them don't find them and there are fewer bids. There are penalties for not being able to use the language properly or, as in your case, messing with it as a stylistic affectation.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (November 19th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Is it always this unfriendly when a feller comes asking a Q?
    No. It was just my turn.
    Thanks. I was exhausted.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 18th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (November 19th, 2017)

Thanks

Well, whatever warms yer prawns. I write like I write didnt expect a grammer lesson, was only asking bout prices.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Unfriendly? How can that be?
    You asked about the pens, you got the answers.
    You asked about how to price the pen, you got the answer, which is:

There isn't a single FAIR price for a given vintage pen. There are unknown things about your pen that can vary the price. And there are different considerations from those who wants to buy the pen, one of which is the risk they are taking.

Which is why you see different sampling of prices on ebay.

'casting nasturtiums', that is a very interesting way to say what I think you mean
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

...was only asking bout prices.

Hey, we did try.

Thanks

Snark in, snark out.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Dreck (November 28th, 2017)

Thanks

No pal, its only been snark out. All I did was ask. What I got was a mix of good intel, assumptions bout me motives and a grammer lesson.

So whats been learned.

1. Theres no precise way to price this.
    2. This forum is not the place to sell it.

Thanks

No pal, its only been snark out. All I did was ask. What I got was a mix of good intel, assumptions bout me motives and a grammer lesson.
    Grammar.

I mean, we're the ones doing all the heavy lifting here.

~ Benjamin Franklin

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (November 19th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 576 Posts

I typically pay more than most people for 51s

No matter who restored the pen, when buying one should assume it is unrestored as there will be no warranty on repair three hands down no matter what kind of Fudge comes along.

If you are selling on eBay let’s not forget the 10-15% in fees.

As to the Cordovan 1st year: where is the cap imprint and the rhodium?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Grammar.

Geez man, so my spelling sucks no need to rub it in. Hows bout sticking to the Qs & As instead.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Grammar.

Geez man, so my spelling sucks no need to rub it in. Hows bout sticking to the Qs & As instead.
    Ed, Ed... This is all just gentle, tongue-in-cheek humor. I'm not making fun, I'm just playing along with some memes that pop up. I honestly am not sending ill will your way.

Here's the thing: I just saw your 'introduction' thread. I will, for now, take it completely at face value. If it is indeed on the level, had you made mention of this right at the beginning, it would have alerted all of us to certain issues. You would like us to take you as you are: casual, a certain way with the language, your interests oriented to some matters and not to others.

In the same sense, how about taking us for how we are? Many of the people here have been here for quite a while, are very welcoming and helpful (as you can amply see in this thread) but also have twisted senses of humor as well as a history of... some sketchy characters who have landed here and attempted to cause a stir. With no background on your or your writing style, it was a little hard to know just how to take some of your statements. I know most all of the people who have answered in this thread, and they are good people.

How about we press the Reset button? If we ask you to clarify or to rephrase something, don't take it the wrong way - it's just us trying to foster good communication.

Welcome to FPG!

~ Benjamin Franklin

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Annie (November 19th, 2017), Dreck (November 28th, 2017), Hawk (December 19th, 2017), penwash (November 20th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (November 19th, 2017)

Thanks

May be Id be better adviced to try an swap it for sum thing else?

Note/ my spellihng varies sum days ncier then others. Sorry.

Thanks

Can i talk bout the sheafer? Aside from the crack in the lid there is a crack in the threads(?) what I had not noticed ealrier. Given that the top and body of the pen is broken in this way is it okay to pull out the nib and comb and throw the rest out? I mean the nib could be used somewher else yes?

Thanks

Can i talk bout the sheafer? Aside from the crack in the lid there is a crack in the threads(?) what I had not noticed ealrier. Given that the top and body of the pen is broken in this way is it okay to pull out the nib and comb and throw the rest out? I mean the nib could be used somewher else yes?
    Well, you *could* offer this up at a very low price as a "parts pen" for someone who does repairs, etc, and they could salvage the parts they need. Even if the cap and barrel are cracked, you are still left with other parts that may be needed in another pen. The nib and the feed (not comb) could certainly be useful (though we haven't seen a pic of the nib), as well as the section (the black part that holds them, that you grip with your fingers when writing. Some people might be able to use the lever if it is in good shape, as well as an internal part known as a j-bar or pressure bar.

BTW: nib and feed are not pulled out, but after the section is removed from the barrel they are gently tapped out from the rear with the aid of a knockout block. Assuming you have not worked on pens before, I would not start with this one. Pens of this age can be fragile and need to be handled with care and certain techniques applied. FWIW.

~ Benjamin Franklin