Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you love about Franklin-Cristoph pens?

Thanks

Default What do you love about Franklin-Cristoph pens?

I'm wondering what the deal is with Franklin-Christoph pens. When they come up for sale here they generally seem to sell quickly, and people frequently post in the WTB forum looking for a specific F-C pen. They don't look like anything special, and new ones seem a little pricey for steel-nibbed pens. I've never tried one, but I'm thinking maybe I should. What do you love about yours?

Thanks

Default Re: What do you love about Franklin-Cristoph pens?

I have the Model 45. The pen is well balanced, the section has a comfortable shape to it, and the block threads are ingenious (a little more that 1/2 turn to uncap). Beyond that, steel nibs though they may be, each one is tested and tuned (wetness can be adjusted by request) to write out of the box. They have a lifetime warranty on all of their pens (that transfers to new owners in the event the pen is sold). Also, we're entering an age where new pens are being sold for well over $100 with steel nibs (Pelkan m200, for example). If you prefer gold, you can upgrade to a gold nib. To top it all off, every pen they sell has the option to upgrade to a nib that is custom ground by Mike Masuyama. My fine cursive-italic is a pleasure to write with.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

jodylud (December 1st, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

I own the FC66 in both Ice and in Antique Glass. This is a desk pen model with perfect balance in hand, exceptional good looks, and perfectly ground nibs.

My FC19 is a huge pen still balanced enough for my small hand. There is something noticeably sumptuous about the black acrylic from which it is made, and the inlaid apple green bands are flawless. The music nib is reliably easy to control whatever ink I use.

I also own an FC 20 Marietta in vintage green. Another little work of art.

My only complaint about FC is that I have to stalk their site constantly if I want to get in on a new batch. I don't think they do custom orders, I really wish they did!
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (November 19th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    My only complaint about FC is that I have to stalk their site constantly if I want to get in on a new batch. I don't think they do custom orders, I really wish they did!
    Right? I know they can only produce so many pens at once and I'm sure the limited edition nature of some of their materials boosts their sales a few times a year, I really wish they had some of their more interesting materials available more often. Though, my wallet may say otherwise...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

inklord (November 30th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

To me the best experience with F-C came with meeting them in person at a pen show (they are in all of them).

They sold me my first "real" pen two years ago, a P-40 with the coolest finial I've ever seen. With Jim Rouse their nibmeister assembled the pen right in front of me with my choice of ink, nib, and whether the pen will be an eye-dropper or c/c. I enjoy sketching with that pen a lot. It hurt me when I sold it to fund some inventory for my "startup" pen restoration operation.

To put it simply, they are people who 1) know how to produce a high quality fountain pen (writing experience -wise), and 2) they happen to design some cool looking ones.

(I cannot with all truthfulness say that second part for another popular pen maker whose pens are also sought after.)
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

inklord (November 30th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (November 19th, 2017)

Thanks

I have the same thoughts as the original poster. I hear lots of high praise for F-C and every few months I’ll poke through their site but have never found a pen I find interesting. Their designs do nothing for me, so even if they’re terrific writers (which sounds like the case) I can’t see myself ever buying one (lots of good writers around that also look good). I’ve tried to understand what I don’t like and I think the oddly proportioned caps is part of it but there’s more than that. I’ll keep checking out the website every few months when I forget my prior experiences, hopefully someday I’ll find something I like.

Thanks

It is F-C's fault that I fell down the fountain pen rabbit hole as after having only a Pilot Metropolitan for several years I suddenly came across their website and it was love at first sight - not sure exactly why!

I love F-C pens as I like most of their designs, the colours they come in and the fact there are a wide range of nibs, especially those ground by Mr. Masuyama, I enjoy the whole nib range. They have a great warranty, super fast customer service and mailing. They also hold their second hand value well if you wish to sell them on (especially if a limited finish) and I have never had any issues with mine. I would not say they are too pricey for steel nib pens as the designs are well thought out and made, plus you get a good after sales service and can get nibmeister nibs for not a lot more.

It is fun to have a family of pens with interchangeable nibs that are very well tuned - I have the full range and the pens all look quite different, demonstrators and elegant colours. For me F-C is very customer orientated, provide super reliable pens with an interesting variety of models and nibs so they fill my needs. After hitting 23 F-C pens this year I have slimmed down finding some models "fit" better than others so if you can get to a pen show it is better to try them in hand, F-C go to a lot of shows in the US each year. For example I never thought I would like the 03 but it is really elegant and I thought I would love the pocket 40 but found it too small and sold it on.

Now I own 12 pens in 8 different models (very modest compared to some!) and really like them all. Not being a huge fan of gaudy colours I don't miss out by not going to pen shows where the more colourful prototypes are sold and F-C do not do custom orders as they are way busy enough keeping up with the demand on their models as it is. It is hard to recommend a model to try but you can see the varying sizes of the pens on their website and some have threaded caps, some are slip. I love the 33 which is really unusual, the 65 and 66 are great desk pens and my pocket 20 is a perfect EDC so they make pens for all different functions. The Model 20, 02 and pocket 66 are probably my favourite three as I really like the designs and they fit my hand the best. As F-C use #5 and 6 Jowo nibs I can also buy other nib grinds and fit them into those pens.

Matt Armstrong and Lisa Vanness made an interesting point about F-C on a recent Pen Habit "Currently Inked" video - (part 3 I think) where they said the pen community love new things and then the interest drops after some time so how do pen companies make that work for them? It is hard to keep designing more and more models, althought F-C keep expanding their range, so another way is to keep making limited batches of popular finishes - like antique glass, or they change the colour options of popular models, hence people stalk the website or go to pen shows. This keeps people interested in the brand and fills the gaps (if there are any) in the normal production runs for the company and keeps those very expensive machines in action.

Having been an F-C website stalker for 2 years I have finally stopped as I am pretty happy with the collection I have and F-C seem to do less and less small batches unannounced on the website these days, there can be many months inbetween. Hopefull they will continue to announce via Instagram, Twitter, FB etc. for those in need!

Current collection:
    02 Intrinsic in amber and cinnamaroon; antique glass
    03 Iterum in coco creme
    Pocket 20 in Thomas Hall translucent grey/tibaldi finish
    Model 20 in maya blue
    Model 31 in purpurea
    Model 33 in black and kings gold
    Model 45 in antique glass
    Model 65 in antique glass
    Model 66 in dark blue swirl (prototype)
    Pocket 66 in antique glass; purple swirl (prototype)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kevmid For This Useful Post:

jodylud (December 1st, 2017)

Thanks

I love FC's leather goods and paper, which I find super high quality. Though I had tried a few pens, FC were never my favorites as I found their gloss finish resins a bit slippery and somehow insubstantial feeling.

At the DC Show I stumbled upon this Model 31 in a Jonathan Brooks resin with beautiful matte finish. What a sublime feel in my hand! The only thing I don't care for in the design is the recessed nib. I liked it so much

I bought its sister at the recent Ohio Show. The green pen has a 1.1 nib, the burgundy has a B SIG, both tuned and adjusted to my preference by Jim Rouse. Love them!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

Alchemist (November 20th, 2017), catbert (November 20th, 2017), jodylud (December 1st, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 20th, 2017), Lloyd (November 20th, 2017), Woody (December 16th, 2017)

Thanks

I wish they were not so pen-show centric on their funky finishes and prototypes. It sucks for those of us who have no way possible to get to a pen show in the states. I sometimes wish they would offer a lot once a year of their non-standard finishes ONLY overseas to let those of us who don't get to the big east coast pen shows a better shot. Though many of the standard finishes are very nice.

I had a full size 66 that left me cold (not sure why) & I never used.

But now have a P66 that I like a lot better (oddly reminds me of the short fat Sheaffer pens like the Statesman II and Valiant II pens, capped they are similar in size).

My quibbles are
    1) not crazy about the wierd little cap, esp. as it doen't have a clip or roll stop (for the love of all that is holy). These P66s will roll away from you every chance they get.
    2) I am CONSTANTLY accidentally unscrewing the section by mistake when I mean to uncap. Not sure why but I did this on the full size 66 as well. Makes me slightly bonkers. I am afraid to Conan the section down but a resessed o-ring would help tremendously.

Upsides: good people, great nib choices, & can upgrade to a nib-tech tuned nib (yay!) for a great price (mine is a Masayama B stub). The zipperd pen sleeve is way more useful than a box.

Been eyeing a 20 for a while now. But worried I wont get on with the cap but I love pens that size (M600/Nononsense/CH912 etc).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    I wish they were not so pen-show centric on their funky finishes and prototypes. It sucks for those of us who have no way possible to get to a pen show in the states. I sometimes wish they would offer a lot once a year of their non-standard finishes ONLY overseas to let those of us who don't get to the big east coast pen shows a better shot. Though many of the standard finishes are very nice.

I had a full size 66 that left me cold (not sure why) & I never used.

But now have a P66 that I like a lot better (oddly reminds me of the short fat Sheaffer pens like the Statesman II and Valiant II pens, capped they are similar in size).

My quibbles are
    1) not crazy about the wierd little cap, esp. as it doen't have a clip or roll stop (for the love of all that is holy). These P66s will roll away from you every chance they get.
    2) I am CONSTANTLY accidentally unscrewing the section by mistake when I mean to uncap. Not sure why but I did this on the full size 66 as well. Makes me slightly bonkers. I am afraid to Conan the section down but a resessed o-ring would help tremendously.

Upsides: good people, great nib choices, & can upgrade to a nib-tech tuned nib (yay!) for a great price (mine is a Masayama B stub). The zipperd pen sleeve is way more useful than a box.

Been eyeing a 20 for a while now. But worried I wont get on with the cap but I love pens that size (M600/Nononsense/CH912 etc).
    Not sure about the P66, but the Model 45 will fit a Kaweco clip:

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

jodylud (December 1st, 2017), stub (November 20th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Bravo.

Thank you. Will investigate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Bravo.

Thank you. Will investigate.
    A brief check says the Model 45 is .550". While the cap diameter isn't listed for the P66, the barrel diameter at the cap is .55". So with that tapered cap, this clip should work. Depending the color, you can also choose silver, gold, or raw brass to best compliment the material.

Thanks

I have four F-C's and I enjoy writing with all of them. I think my favorite is my Antique Glass finish Model 02. One of the best things is you can try the pen and if you don't like it send it back for a refund or exchange in 30 days. The lifetime warrantee also is nice.

So don't take our word for it try it yourself.

Thanks

OK, I'm convinced. I think the only FCs that I don't care for the looks of are the clear, colorless ice versions. There seems to be some real passion here for these pens, and AzJon's logic is unassailable. Think I gotta get me one! Thanks for all the input.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    OK, I'm convinced. I think the only FCs that I don't care for the looks of are the clear, colorless ice versions. There seems to be some real passion here for these pens, and AzJon's logic is unassailable. Think I gotta get me one! Thanks for all the input.
    I think you're going to enjoy the Model 02.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I don't own any FC pens but would love to get the model 25. It catches my eye because of the semi-hooded nib and the thread placement on the section.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I suspect you're right. Down another rabbit hole!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    I suspect you're right. Down another rabbit hole!
    I see an F-C pen as one of those once in a while purchase, as in once every few years

Now, if they start to make pens in ebonite, that may be a rabbit hole for me.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

So, Alchemist, did you decide on a model and pick one up yet?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Now, if they start to make pens in ebonite, that may be a rabbit hole for me.
    I'm not sure my wallet would survive that event, but I would welcome it with open arms.