Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BYOB pen club podcast

Thanks

Default BYOB pen club podcast

Anyone listened to the 2 episodes (so far) of this - https://www.byobpen.club/episodes/

I have, and I am now very well informed about what they don't like, what they really Do Not Like, and what they absolutely hate (which appears to be any reasonably priced pen, and anything to do with Noodler's).

Unfortunately I have no idea about what they do like about pens, paper, ink and writing in general. One more episode, then I'm out...

Thanks

Default Re: BYOB pen club podcast

Hmm, could have thought we mentioned several things we liked, including Waterman inks, RO Blue Water Ice, and BungBox Sapphire, real Esterbrooks, etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgtstretch View Post
    Hmm, could have thought we mentioned several things we liked, including Waterman inks, RO Blue Water Ice, and BungBox Sapphire, real Esterbrooks, etc.
    Fair enough - I may have been exaggerating a little for effect. However, compared with Pen Addict, or the Goulet podcast (and yes I know they are marketing / influenced by marketing), the negative to positive ratio is very different. Even compared with none pen podcasts (such as PC Pro or PetaPixel), then to me, you spend too much time in criticism (much of which is fair, but you really can go on and on and on...)

The comparison that springs to mind is the fashion designers from Hitch - everything is disgusting...

Thanks for responding - and I hope you take this as honest feedback - you will note that I have sent a version of this to your feedback form. There is the basis of a really good podcast, but you are not nailing it just yet.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Thanks

Interesting, I will have to give it a listen. I like honesty and telling the truth about how you feel about something.
    I have stopped listening/watching the Goulet pens stuff for the exact opposite reason... apparently every pen is perfect and there is nothing negative about anything ever!?!?!?
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks
    Thanked 4,821 Times in 1,159 Posts

The number of participants and freeform style makes it a bit like eavesdropping on a pen club meeting, which I guess is what they are going for. I'll check back when they've settled down a bit, maybe established some kind of focus for each episode. I have too many podcasts to listen to as it is.

Incidentally, there's another new pen podcast: https://thenibsection.podbean.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    The number of participants and freeform style makes it a bit like eavesdropping on a pen club meeting, which I guess is what they are going for. I'll check back when they've settled down a bit, maybe established some kind of focus for each episode. I have too many podcasts to listen to as it is.

Incidentally, there's another new pen podcast: https://thenibsection.podbean.com
    Too many podcasts is like too many pens: a non sequitur!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShugPug View Post

Too many podcasts is like too many pens: a non sequitur!
    Not if you want to use all your pens regularly or keep up with all the podcasts you subscribe to. Podcasts, especially, need to earn their time, even at 1.5x. Pens, of course, can just be.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

ShugPug (November 21st, 2017)

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. We are still definitely in the learning phase of our chats, and getting a feel for what we want to discuss, and if we want regular topics, or to just wing it.

One of the things we were going for, especially compared to some retailer podcasts, is that they are always positive, but there are negative sides to the hobby also, and with no manufacturers that we have to answer to, we can say what we feel about their products.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sgtstretch For This Useful Post:

jasonf (December 2nd, 2017), Lady Onogaro (November 27th, 2017), Sammyo (November 21st, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Not if you want to use all your pens regularly or keep up with all the podcasts you subscribe to. Podcasts, especially, need to earn their time, even at 1.5x. Pens, of course, can just be.
    Exactly. I have, simply put, precious little time to be spent plugged into an audio babble. When presented with a printed/written article, I can always scan ahead if things are slow, look for the salient bits and move on. A podcast locks you in - "are they EVER going to get to the f***ing point???". Most are so amateurish or fannish I can't begin to get into it.

I have a few different interests besides pens. I would hope everyone would. I can set aside time for one, maybe two podcasts in given interest areas. I have YET to find a single podcast that holds my interest anywhere near as well as some of the others in other areas. I don't think it is an impossibly high bar to get over, but in the pen world, if it isn't just a basic fan show it's a verbal blogger being subsidized by a bunch of advertisers. There are areas of pens - history, writing, global aspects, individuals - that never get covered.

My time is valuable. I'm waiting for the pen podcast that can break in.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (November 22nd, 2017), Hawk (January 14th, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. We are still definitely in the learning phase of our chats, and getting a feel for what we want to discuss, and if we want regular topics, or to just wing it.

One of the things we were going for, especially compared to some retailer podcasts, is that they are always positive, but there are negative sides to the hobby also, and with no manufacturers that we have to answer to, we can say what we feel about their products.
    There ought to be a bottom line at every second of the recording: "Is what I am saying/discussing really interesting?" And if you are going to just "wing it", goodbye. Why on Earth would an audience want to listen to everyday people simply and randomly chatting? Put some thought and effort into it!!

(My last two posts might have come off a bit harsh, but consider it 'tough love': listen to a wide, wide variety of podcasts and you'll understand how far pretty much all the pencast need to up their game. You won't last long if all it is is an audio version of Slack babble)
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    There ought to be a bottom line at every second of the recording: "Is what I am saying/discussing really interesting?" And if you are going to just "wing it", goodbye. Why on Earth would an audience want to listen to everyday people simply and randomly chatting? Put some thought and effort into it!!

(My last two posts might have come off a bit harsh, but consider it 'tough love': listen to a wide, wide variety of podcasts and you'll understand how far pretty much all the pencast need to up their game. You won't last long if all it is is an audio version of Slack babble)
    We are going for a 'post pen show at the bar feel' so yeah, it will sound like everyday people simply and randomly chatting. This may not be for everyone, but it's what we wanted to do. We've actually had a bit of feedback that people like the open discussion/roundtable aspect of it.

Thanks

We are going for a 'post pen show at the bar feel' so yeah, it will sound like everyday people simply and randomly chatting. This may not be for everyone, but it's what we wanted to do. We've actually had a bit of feedback that people like the open discussion/roundtable aspect of it.
    Ok, you've got your blueprint and are going with it, that's all good. Keep in mind that a product improves when the flaws are found and eliminated and both positive and negative feedback are given attention.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Ok, you've got your blueprint and are going with it, that's all good. Keep in mind that a product improves when the flaws are found and eliminated and both positive and negative feedback are given attention.
    Hey Jon, Michael here, another host of BYOB Pen Club. Thanks for the feedback. You're absolutely right, it's important to take both positive and negative feedback into consideration, and we try very hard to do so.

I'm not sure if you listened to episode 0 or episode 1 yet, but if you have, thank you for giving us a listen. If you haven't, I invite you to listen what we've already posted or listen live when we record tomorrow night if you are available. You can even join in the live chat on our Discord server.

We know our podcast is a bit unique and will not cater to everyone. If it's not for you, that's totally cool. We get it. Maybe some day you will find the perfect pen podcast for you. And if you do find it, please do come back and tell us. It sounds like it would be a great listen. In the meantime, we would love to hear any feedback (positive or negative or both!) you have on actual content from our first shows.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maj8614 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (January 14th, 2018), Jon Szanto (November 21st, 2017), Morgaine (January 7th, 2018)

Thanks

We're definitely still adjusting, and definitely appreciate the feedback. In terms of "Winging It", we have general topics that we plan on covering for each show, but choose to approach these topics with a more open discussion (Round Table Discussion), rather than a more laid out discussion map. We've got some ideas that we'll introduce into the show over the next few weeks, and I hope that you keep listening and let us know about things that you think are going right or wrong. All feedback is constructive.

Oscar Rodriguez - The Penthusiast - Pay-it-Forward President

[I]Student Extraordinaire, Vintage Pen Repair intermediate, Nib Adjustment Intermediate, always looking to learn more about fountain pens and Tinkering

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Penthusiast For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 21st, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Penthusiast View Post
    All feedback is constructive.
    Of course, and I want anyone who loves what they do to succeed. Just keep in mind: enthusiasm gets it all going, persuasive content is what locks it in and keeps people coming back.

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Hawk (January 14th, 2018), penwash (November 21st, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maj8614 View Post
    I'm not sure if you listened to episode 0 or episode 1 yet, but if you have, thank you for giving us a listen. If you haven't, I invite you to listen what we've already posted or listen live when we record tomorrow night if you are available. You can even join in the live chat on our Discord server.

We know our podcast is a bit unique and will not cater to everyone. If it's not for you, that's totally cool. We get it. Maybe some day you will find the perfect pen podcast for you. And if you do find it, please do come back and tell us. It sounds like it would be a great listen. In the meantime, we would love to hear any feedback (positive or negative or both!) you have on actual content from our first shows.
    I only skipped a bit through what I think was the first one, which I saw posted on reddit. Meh.

I'll tell you what, though: no one likes it when people just bitch and moan without any reasoning. I've got some work/tasks coming up next week that will - in a rare situation - have me working in one place on one task where I can have noise going on besides the noise I product. I'll queue up any of the available casts and give as dedicated a listen as I can. And then I'll just give you my impressions, taking into consideration your wise statement above: some things just won't cater to everyone. And that is perfectly acceptable!

Go write with a pen.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,728 Times in 1,976 Posts

Wow, I tried to listen to those podcasts.

I was surprised to recognize some of you from the various discord channel that I was invited into.

One thing that I notice that you don't have anyone who has been collecting and using fountain pens for a decade or more. This, in itself is not a problem. But I think it will help to provide different perspective and variety on for the topics. And usually these come with either longer experience or condensed but "insane" amount of working with pens.

Another thing is that.. 70 to 90 minutes? Have mercy.
    I can listen to 30 minutes of people talking about pens, but not more than an hour of.. what sounded like from the beginning, random chats.

And I don't know if you notice, here on FPGeeks, you have at least three advocates (Jon Szanto, AzJon, myself, and maybe more...) who try very hard to bridge the gap between you guys (young fountain pen users), and decades-long collectors (who also hung out, tell pen stories that blew my mind, and they communicate differently than y'all young people).

Consider getting input from us and we can at least direct you to some people whom you might want to interview, ask questions, get some anecdotes going etc. All of which will make your podcasts a lot more rich in content, all to serve as a boost to the enthusiasm that y'all already have going on.

All in all, I applaud your efforts and I wish you nothing but success.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

If any of you would like to join us, you're more than welcome. We have a guest queue going, all you need to do is fill out the contact form here, and select Appearing On the Show.

We are always welcome to additional voices/opinions.

Thanks

I applaud that. There's a need for content that isn't structured around selling something. That said, user experience - positive or negative - can be informative as well as opinionated.

Definitely nailed the 'pen show after dark' vibe. The operative word in my first impression was 'eavesdropping'. The participants sound like they're having a great time. Didn't get the sense that much thought was given to the needs or interests of listeners, which felt tiresome and not a little alienating after a while. Some more structure and planning might help with that. Or take out the auditing anecdotes in post.

If any of you would like to join us, you're more than welcome. We have a guest queue going, all you need to do is fill out the contact form here, and select Appearing On the Show.

We are always welcome to additional voices/opinions.
    Maybe some guests with different knowledge/specialization to talk about? Or at least someone whose arbitrary opinions I actually agree with.

---

That's my feedback. I'll certainly sample future editions. Seriously, l appreciate the time and effort you've put in. Good luck.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

sgtstretch (November 21st, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,430 Times in 2,520 Posts

You might want to listen to archived FPGeeks podcasts for ideas. e.g., https://fpgeeks.com/GeekOfTheWeek/Ge...FEB2012ekp.mp3