Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BYOB pen club podcast

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Default Re: BYOB pen club podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I've never quite gotten any particular "fuss" over an ink, at least not to the level of mania that causes people to buy out an ink or multiple swoon-fests. Nonetheless, I am aware of such mania. Rikyu Cha is nice, but it was never enough to pull me away from a less mentioned ink, Stipula Verde Muschiato, which as the name implies is just a tiny bit more green (and more interesting to my eye). This page (not mine) has them near each other:

After seeing your samples, I now realize why I like Rikyu-Cha, it's the brown component that is a tad (just a tad) stronger than the green.

But thank you for that sample page, there are inks that I've never heard about until now, and the dusky brown/green is probably my favorite from the vast ink hues and their nuances.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 28th, 2017)

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

I enjoyed the podcast and the laid back feel of the whole session. It feels more honest than other podcast I occasionally listen to but will not list here.

I would probably be more attentive if the episodes were shorter: e.g. 30 min.
    Last edited by dfo; November 28th, 2017 at 01:27 PM.
    "Love is the final fight."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    But if you don’t get it about Rikyu-cha, maybe you just don’t get it.
    Either that or I've sussed out the Emperor's new clothes for what they are.
    This has really piqued my curiosity. I will post in another thread about soon about comparing Rikyu-cha and Verde Muschiato. Interesting just how similar they and yet not, and yet yes.
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

So I finally got through all three. There is a marked improvement from one to the next.
    The first one I skipped a lot of... the second one I skipped a bit of... the third one I listened to all of it (however if I knew how long you would have talked about pencils I would have skipped that too, nothing wrong with it, just not my area of interest ).

Definitely getting better with each one. There is still a lot of fluff, but not all fluff is bad. Also glad to hear people talking openly and honestly about certain topics within our community. Something I think a lot of podcasts and YouTube channels are lacking.

Sent from my SCV36 using Tapatalk
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammyo For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (December 7th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    So I finally got through all three. There is a marked improvement from one to the next.
    The first one I skipped a lot of... the second one I skipped a bit of... the third one I listened to all of it (however if I knew how long you would have talked about pencils I would have skipped that too, nothing wrong with it, just not my area of interest ).

Definitely getting better with each one. There is still a lot of fluff, but not all fluff is bad. Also glad to hear people talking openly and honestly about certain topics within our community. Something I think a lot of podcasts and YouTube channels are lacking.

Sent from my SCV36 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Thanks

The byob keeps rolling. & I have popped back in for a listen while doing a little house cleaning.

I still have no idea who is who. It is hard to match what is on here https://www.byobpen.club/hosts/ with the voices you actually hear, there are more people in this thing than a kpop group.

I'll confess that I don't love all voices equally (that is life) & some of the profanity seems forced. You do have the after-hours pen show vibe going (note I live in Seoul so I have no idea what that really is, I only imagine it).

It is certainly easier to listen to now and I applaud the fact that you document the topics with copious pen links. Still not sure how I feel about it overall. Some of the episodes, particularly the .5 ones are really mixed. The latest is a great Idea, 7.5 was, well no thanks. I am sure it is funny I suppose if you know the people involved & fun for the people who did it but I felt alienated like I was not privy to the 'cool kids' banter and in jokes. Plus it had almost nothing to do with pens but as my hands were not free I let it run to the end but that much content (30min) without any pen talk loses my interest (same with (Mike) Inkdependence friday chat things, though I like him personally quite a lot).

The intro song is cute.

My life is full of clutter. I am not sure I will always make room for the byob, but I will stick with it a while longer. The sound is vastly improved. Thanks.

Edited to add: I like it more than The Nib Section.
    Last edited by stub; January 13th, 2018 at 03:49 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

sgtstretch (January 13th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    I am sure it is funny I suppose if you know the people involved & fun for the people who did it but I felt alienated like I was not privy to the 'cool kids' banter and in jokes.
    One of the things I learned in a long career of live performance is that there are few things more off-putting than an "in joke" shared in public. It alienates the audience because they, by default, feel excluded. If you aren't hip enough to be among the people who get the reference you are an uncool outsider. It's precisely the "kool kids klub" vibe that makes it hard for me to get into the whole thing, which is a shame, but probably works for a certain audience.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (January 17th, 2018), catbert (February 1st, 2018)

Thanks

I am sure it is funny I suppose if you know the people involved & fun for the people who did it but I felt alienated like I was not privy to the 'cool kids' banter and in jokes.
    One of the things I learned in a long career of live performance is that there are few things more off-putting than an "in joke" shared in public. It alienates the audience because they, by default, feel excluded. If you aren't hip enough to be among the people who get the reference you are an uncool outsider. It's precisely the "kool kids klub" vibe that makes it hard for me to get into the whole thing, which is a shame, but probably works for a certain audience.
    I have to agree whole heartedly with this. I don't know of all, or even most, the cool kids in the US pen scene.
    Having a laugh about things only a few (if not only the people involved) know about alienates and ostracizes the audience.
    I feel that the last podcast was full of in jokes that I couldn't get behind. Also it felt far more childish than ever before... I became annoyed with it and stopped listening...
    It appears that I am not the demographic or target audience.
    I am older, I don't live in the US and I don't care about half of the topics (Blackwing pencils, pencil sharpeners, Field Notes covers, drinking ink, etc...).
    Thank you for trying to do something different though.
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Incidentally, there's another new pen podcast: https://thenibsection.podbean.com
    Man the sound quality on The Nib Section podcast is dreadful.

Listening to Episode 14 "Analog Strikes Back" and it is really a strain. Shame as there seems to be some content worth hearing but sound quality is muffled, distorted and lots of the audio has a wierd comb filter type resonance to it.

byob is definitely easier to discern though I still think there are way too many voices in one padcast. However the audio quality has ramped up nicely, while the nibsection seems to be getting worse.

Thanks

Feel free to ignore/i'm sure you'll ignore.

Really really not a fan of these mp3 file names. I am sure it makes Yvgenii chuckle. But you have episode names and numbers. Would be easier to keep track of what you listened to and are listening to if the file names also didn't require a long in-joke each time that amuses only the content creator and they were just numbered something reasonable that fit in a window.

Could just number them:

Byob-Ep_18.5.mp3

or some such.

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 9.39.04 PM.png

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 23rd, 2018), Morgaine (March 24th, 2018), sgtstretch (March 23rd, 2018)

Thanks

I didn't realize those file names were getting uploaded. The reason they are that long to begin with is because our audio editor passes the file along to another team member to add the chapters and chapter artwork, then passed back to upload. Before the super long file name, there were a couple occasions that the incorrect file was uploaded. I can make a note to shorten them down after chapter edits.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sgtstretch For This Useful Post:

stub (March 23rd, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgtstretch View Post
    I can make a note to shorten them down after chapter edits.
    Sweet. Doing some work around the house. I like to listen to podcasts while I do it but for some reason streaming is terrible here so I usually d/l to listen.

Thanks

Feel free to ignore/i'm sure you'll ignore.

Really really not a fan of these mp3 file names. I am sure it makes Yvgenii chuckle. But you have episode names and numbers. Would be easier to keep track of what you listened to and are listening to if the file names also didn't require a long in-joke each time that amuses only the content creator and they were just numbered something reasonable that fit in a window.

Could just number them:

Byob-Ep_18.5.mp3

or some such.

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 9.39.04 PM.png
    This is 100% my fault. I apologize for the frustration this caused you and will work with Yvgenii and Phil to get this fixed going forward. If I were in your shoes, I would be annoyed, too.

*shaking my head at myself now*

I am grateful for you listening to us each week and hope you continue to enjoy it. Thank you, and again, my apologies for the trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk