Thread: Tomoe River Paper Review

Thanks

Default Tomoe River Paper Review

I was on on tour on the weekend and had almost no internet, so I could toss in a brief post for a "Be The Seven" post. To make up for that, I have attached a short hand-written review of Tomoe River Paper on White A5 Blank paper. I was in Daimo, a store I recently discovered, and finally saw some Tomoe River paper in person, and thought I would give it a try. As I mention, my handwriting is not terribly legible.
    I like the feel of a thicker paper than this, but for paper-thin paper, this stuff is pretty darn solid.
    tomoeriverA5.jpg
    Fortibus es in ero

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (September 21st, 2018), da vinci (November 30th, 2017), Dragonmaster Lou (November 21st, 2017), fereous (February 1st, 2019), fountainpagan (November 29th, 2017), lvnathan (October 23rd, 2018), rpsyed (November 25th, 2017), ShugPug (November 20th, 2017)

Thanks

Default Re: Tomoe River Paper Review

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    I was on on tour on the weekend and had almost no internet, so I could toss in a brief post for a "Be The Seven" post. To make up for that, I have attached a short hand-written review of Tomoe River Paper on White A5 Blank paper. I was in Daimo, a store I recently discovered, and finally saw some Tomoe River paper in person, and thought I would give it a try. As I mention, my handwriting is not terribly legible.
    I like the feel of a thicker paper than this, but for paper-thin paper, this stuff is pretty darn solid.
    tomoeriverA5.jpg
    Thanks for this - I have a Goulet notebook waiting for me in my shopping cart just waiting for payday... And I'm looking forward to using my Techno next year - how does it compare with Rhodia or Leuchtturm's papers?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ShugPug For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (November 20th, 2017)

Thanks

[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]Thanks for this - I have a Goulet notebook waiting for me in my shopping cart just waiting for payday... And I'm looking forward to using my Techno next year - how does it compare with Rhodia or Leuchtturm's papers?[/QUOTE]

I found that Leuchturm papers (at least in the smaller notebooks) bleed more than my more favored Rhodia. I was first surprised by how well behaved Apica paper is, which is much less expensive. That led me to try Tomoe River. To me, it feels something like: old fashioned typing paper meets Rhodia quality. Paper this thin has no business holding ink so well.
    Pick it up and it flops around like tissue paper.
    The Apica has a kind of sheeny surface, but not glossy.
    I may have to try Leuchturm again. Maybe I read somewhere that the larger notebooks have nicer paper.
    But in general, the papers I like are: Rhodia, Apica, this Tomoe River, Muji paper, Strathmore watercolor paper (for drawing), and I also like Clairefontaine papers (which I think are the same manufacturers of Rhodia?)
    Ooh, and I have a special fancy paper Fabriano Maediovalis, which i reviewed here some time ago:
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...light=fabriano

Tell me if you find something you love, Shugpug!
    Fortibus es in ero

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (September 21st, 2018)

Thanks

TR is my favorite letter-writing paper, not least because I don't have to worry about extra postage when I write long letters to my out-of-country pen pals.
    In my mug: Sailor 21 P-P M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger T-W M, Jinhao 159 , Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsities, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Ahab 1.1, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M, Hero 616 M, Jinhao X750

31 and counting

DaveBj

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveBj For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (November 21st, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
    TR is my favorite letter-writing paper, not least because I don't have to worry about extra postage when I write long letters to my out-of-country pen pals.
    Good point. I am trying to use these for taking some notes. I have liked thicker paper in part because of the old dry hands issue, trying to grab that page corner with your fingers. But these tend to slide apart nicely, too. Who knew?
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I use a pack of lose leaf TR paper exclusively for letter writing and it's a favorite. I had a custom leatherbound notebook done with TR paper and am just waiting to use up my current notebook so I can start using that one.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (November 24th, 2017)

Thanks

I use TR paper almost exclusively since I have about 7500 sheets of looseleaf sheets of it in 52gsm Cream. Everything else seems inadequate for FP's.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dhruv For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (December 9th, 2017)