Thread: Which Conid Nib to get

Thanks

Question Which Conid Nib to get

Hello all, I've been saving up for a Conid Minimalistica and I am at a point where I can buy it, however I'm having trouble deciding which nib to get. I'm looking to have this as my EDC so I want a fine nib. so I can either:

Titanium nib: €80 (€55 + €25= €80 titaniums only come in medium and then the €25 is for custom grinding)

OR

Gold nib: €115 (the gold nib comes in a fine)

Does anybody have any experience with these? which would be better for everyday use at work/school/journaling?

thanks in advance

Thanks

Default Re: Which Conid Nib to get

I'd say get the gold. I have a kingsize with Titanium nib and while I do like it, it doesn't compare to gold. It's smooth with a pencil like feedback and a bit wiggly. I don't have any complains against it but it may be an unpleasant surprise for some. If I could do it again, I'd just get the gold.
    People do say that you have the flexibility of buying the additional nibs in case you don't like what you bought, but it gets expensive quickly.
    If you bought Titanium and don't like it, you'll replace it with gold which would cost:
    €135 (kingsize nib) + €25 (grinding to EF) + €35 (shipping) = €195. Not cheap.

Also, work and school requires quick writing for which a semi-flex nib may not be fully suitable unless you write with a feathertouch.

Thanks

I wonder why they don’t offer F titanium nibs—I have two Conids with these nibs so I wonder if they’re just temporarily out of stock. It might be worth an email to figure out if this is a permanent thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mulrich View Post
    I wonder why they don’t offer F titanium nibs—I have two Conids with these nibs so I wonder if they’re just temporarily out of stock. It might be worth an email to figure out if this is a permanent thing.
    I've been looking at their pens for a few months and it never had a fine on titanium, but they do offer custom grinding so you can get a fine or extra fine however you want it, but it is extra

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dhruv View Post
    I'd say get the gold. I have a kingsize with Titanium nib and while I do like it, it doesn't compare to gold. It's smooth with a pencil like feedback and a bit wiggly. I don't have any complains against it but it may be an unpleasant surprise for some. If I could do it again, I'd just get the gold.
    People do say that you have the flexibility of buying the additional nibs in case you don't like what you bought, but it gets expensive quickly.
    If you bought Titanium and don't like it, you'll replace it with gold which would cost:
    €135 (kingsize nib) + €25 (grinding to EF) + €35 (shipping) = €195. Not cheap.

Also, work and school requires quick writing for which a semi-flex nib may not be fully suitable unless you write with a feathertouch.
    that is very good to know, I don't write with a feather touch but I will likely be writing fast. so a semi-flex isn't something I am looking for for an EDC

Thanks
    Thanked 6,443 Times in 2,523 Posts

I bought a used Conid Minimalistica that came with the Bock stainless M installed and a spare stainless F. The M is so good that I've yet to try the F. This is the only steel nib I use, and I use it a lot. I've yet to try their gold or titanium (and I want to try the latter). Although I've read Brian Gray's missive about the high quality of contemporary steel nibs, it's this Conid that changed my mind about steel.
    Last edited by FredRydr; November 21st, 2017 at 06:21 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

da vinci (November 22nd, 2017), Rossler (March 4th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I bought a used Conid Minimalistica that came with the Bock stainless M installed and a spare stainless F. The M is so good that I've yet to try the F. This is the only steel nib I use, and I use it a lot. I've never tried their gold or titanium. Although I've read Brian Gray's missive about the high quality of contemporary steel nibs, it's this Conid that changed my mind about steel.
    that is very interesting, because I do have a third option in the back of my mind where I just get a steel nib (which only costs 8 euro) and then if I like the pen as a whole I might buy another nib later.....

if you do ever switch over to the fine nib let me know. i'm probably going to wait a little while longer while I think about this "life changing decision"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RustyDarkMatter View Post
    I've been looking at their pens for a few months and it never had a fine on titanium, but they do offer custom grinding so you can get a fine or extra fine however you want it, but it is extra
    It's been about a year since I bought a Conid so maybe they decided to drop F titanium nibs but this would surprise me. My impression was these nibs were some of the more popular so maybe they ran out of stock and are waiting for a new shipment. The nibs have a custom Conid imprint which might take longer for Bock to produce–although a few months seems like a long time. You could always email the company and ask for more information. They aren't always quick to reply but it sounds like you're not in a rush.

Thanks

I have a Regular Bulkfiller (Flat top), that I bought just over a year ago. It came with two titanium nibs - a fine that was ground to stub and a medium. I like both, but I prefer the medium. Very smooth and very wet.

Thanks

I have both Titanium and Steel fine on my Conid. I like them both. The steel F feels like a Montblacn fine or standard Bock fine, meaning maybe a bit toward medium in Japanese nibs? The Titanium feels more like a Fine. I always end up choosing it, and like don’t expect it to act like a flex nib. It is smooth and gives, does not really flex. But I enjoy it and have no complaints. Both are smooth, the steel is more “stable” maybe.
    Fortibus es in ero

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

RustyDarkMatter (November 22nd, 2017)

Thanks

I have a steel nib on mine. I tried out the gold and titanium nibs but the steel, for the price point was by far the best option.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to da vinci For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (November 22nd, 2017), RustyDarkMatter (November 22nd, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by da vinci View Post
    I have a steel nib on mine. I tried out the gold and titanium nibs but the steel, for the price point was by far the best option.
    I didn't try the gold nib, so can't say. But my steel Bock nibs seem as good as the two or three gold ones I have. My steel nib is very smooth, but not earth shatteringly expressive.
    One more thing about the Titanium. I love it and it is smooth and can feel lush. Sometimes, sometimes, it feels like it is not wicking as much ink as I like. Therefore I always write with the little ink valve open, and that seems to keep it running nicely.

One more thing, kinda kids don't try this at home. Since it is easy to switch the nibs out, I have enjoyed having both a steel and a titanium nib.
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks
    Thanked 6,443 Times in 2,523 Posts

When you buy a nib directly from Conid, is it sold as a nib/feed/collar unit? Or is it just the metal nib?

Thanks

My extra one came as a complete unit with nib, collar, and feed.
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    ... I have enjoyed having both a steel and a titanium nib.
    Would you say that the steel nibs are "dryer" than the titanium nibs? i have been hearing that the titanium nibs are very wet, i prefer a "not-so-wet" nib...not dry but just not "Visconti wet" especially for daily use.

Thanks

Of the two nibs I have, the steel has been smooth, but not noticeably dryer. My sense is that its dryness quotient could be as much from adjustment as anything. I will see if I can make a photo comparison shortly.
    Fortibus es in ero

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

Rossler (March 4th, 2018)

Thanks

Conid pens are built to be a lifetime instrument. Follow your gut! If you have to wait a bit longer to get the nib your want then do so. Never settle when it comes to a pen like the Conid.

I would get the gold and have it ground to your desire. I like the stub option, but that is just me.

I have one set in my A list and it will happen next year.

Congratulations on the acquisition of a superb writing instrument! Don't hurry it!

Thanks

I hope this is legible enough to give an idea of at least the close similrity and slight difference between the Conid Ti and Steel Fine nibs. As I was writing I r,eembered that the biggest idfference might be that The steel feels sturdier for writing on the train, say, or if I like to bear down. But I gravitate back to the Titanium in the end. I like its slightly wetter and richer feel, but it sometimes also gets a bit dry if you forget to keep that little valve open. If you like the steel, I bet the gold is at least as cool.
    And the steel seems to lay down a lighter coloring of any given ink, but that could be adjusted.
    Wish I could show it to you in Touch-a-rama to feel that slight difference.

6E489DA9-95DF-40E4-A74C-83DEB9CE30E9.jpg
    Fortibus es in ero

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

Rossler (March 4th, 2018)