Thread: Good host for a flex nib (Zebra?)

Thanks

Default Good host for a flex nib (Zebra?)

I'm interested in trying out my hand at a flex nib, but without breaking the bank to do it.

After a little reading it seems that the Zebra G nibs are a decent starter.

The next question is what pen to put them into? My thoughts so far are either a Noodlers Konrad or a Nemosine Singularity. Any other suggestions, or confirmations of this?

I have not owned either pen, so don't know what to expect. I'm most interested in a package that writes decently, won't leak, and is somewhat servicable.

For those reasons, I'm thinking the Konrad is the good option. Feed is somewhat maleable, pen is servicable, and cheap.

I'd rather not spend much, again, just sampling the water.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks

Default Re: Good host for a flex nib (Zebra?)

Surely a nib-holder would be the most appropriate? Alternatively, a Desiderata pen is designed for these nibs? (I haven't used one - but I keep looking at them and wondering...)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,023 Posts

As Shug mentioned, put it in a basic nib holder first and just use it as a dip pen. You should also buy just one bottle of calligraphy-type ink (NOT fountain pen ink) to start out. These are thicker and meant for dip nibs. My strategy is not primarily to save money, though it does in a way, but for a more pragmatic reason: some people end up not liking flex nibs!

Yeah, yeah, it's all the fad these days, but they do require some practice and dedication and skill. If you do the above and find you *do* like using it, then I would consider hosting it in a Jinhao 450 or 750 (I can't remember if they both will easily host the nib, but I'm pretty certain I've seen people use both). The pens are, frankly, a lot better than the two you mention (especially the Noodler) and still won't cost too much. Just keep in mind that being non-plated nibs, they'll wear out and corrode so you end up replacing them on a somewhat regular basis.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Thanks Joe, I have a Jinhao x750 here that I never use, so that will make a great host it seems. Thanks for the thoughts!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by N6GQ View Post
    Thanks Joe, I have a Jinhao x750 here that I never use, so that will make a great host it seems. Thanks for the thoughts!
    Having done that hack myself, I can tell you the Jinhao **can** work, but if you do the side by side comparison of that hack with a Desiderata pen (which were designed for this) you'll see that you'll have a much more consistent, satisfying experience in the long run–In addition to a pen you know was made in the USA with attention to detail and a caring tech support dept. (Both me.)

Thanks

If you already have a pen that takes factory Jowo nib/housing (e.g. some models by Edison, Franklin Christoph, Opus 88), Flex Nib Factory just released feed/housing that are designed for Zebra G's. Would be a matter of plug and play.

Thanks

The trick is finding a pen with a cap long enough to accomodate the increased length of a dip nib.

Thanks

Just tried a Jinhao X450, but it needs adjustment. The feed is holding the tines of the nib open, so there's no capillary action to bring the ink down the nib. I need to do a little adjustment somehow. I'l thinking a little hot water and pressure might just be enough to turn the end of the feed down a smidgeon.