Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 149 or 146

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Default Re: 149 or 146

Quote Originally Posted by I like mango pudding View Post
    Okay, went to a dealer who had both in stock. The 149 is a bit too fat for me. The 146 feels right.

I could get a brand new display 146 for $450, all in with taxes. The other pen dealer I don't think could match this price.

What do you geeks think??? (The 149 was going for about $560, all in with taxes, also, only the display model, but I think I'm going to pass)
    FWIW, if you can try out the pen first to check the nib and feed, and if the pen comes with the full warranty, I think that's a fair deal. If you buy used you'll likely pay over $300, and get no warranty and maybe no chance to examine the pen first. Do check eBay completed listings to see what they go for used, however.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Also, with new... you get I believe it is a month to change the nib free of charge if you dont like it.

$450 all in for brand new while more then used is really not that bad for it. I don't think anyone would say "oh you paid way to much etc..."

I have a 146 and really enjoy it. It's a clasic pen that is timeless in its syle and function.

Do let us know what you decide... and most important.... POST PICS !

3. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

I like mango pudding (May 4th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Maybe you should go to a MB boutique and try out both sizes.
    +1

Definitely try them both. I had a 149, however found it too big. If the "new" price is too much, there are plenty of nice used ones out there.

Have fun shopping!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dgator For This Useful Post:

I like mango pudding (May 4th, 2013)

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

While I prefer the 146 over the 149, I'm new to piston fillers. I've always used converters and disposable cartridges, so refilling would be new to me. I did end up going back t the original pen store who had a LeGrand Traveller (the 147), and that one is a converter of the same size as the 146. Forgot to ask how much it was though. DOH!!!!

If I can accept piston fillers, then it's definitely the 146.

Just one thing about them, how do you know when you need to refill before you run out of ink. With converters, I just unscrew the pen and I can see how much ink I have left and top up when needed. You can't do that with piston fillers can you?
    Last edited by I like mango pudding; May 4th, 2013 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks

While I prefer the 146 over the 149, I'm new to piston fillers. I've always used converters and disposable cartridges, so refilling would be new to me. I did end up going back t the original pen store who had a LeGrand Traveller (the 147), and that one is a converter of the same size as the 146. Forgot to ask how much it was though. DOH!!!!

Just one thing about them, how do you know when you need to refill before you run out of ink. With converters, I just unscrew the pen and I can see how much ink I have left and top up when needed. You can't do that with piston fillers can you?
    I do not mean to confuse things further but the 147 is one of my favourite pens. The nice thing is it comes with its own leather case that has a slot for the pen and room for 6 carts. this is the pen I take to work most often because it is so easy to just pop in a cart when needed.

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orfew View Post

I do not mean to confuse things further but the 147 is one of my favourite pens. The nice thing is it comes with its own leather case that has a slot for the pen and room for 6 carts. this is the pen I take to work most often because it is so easy to just pop in a cart when needed.
    exactly!!!!!

You get alot of "extras" with the Traveller, like a huge reservoir (correct terminology???) in the converter, leather case, and even room for a disposable cartridge inside.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

The 147 generally runs a little more than the 146.

To see when to refill one of the 146 or 149 pens though, you just look at the ink view window. On the current modern 146s I think it is a striped window but on my modern ones it is a wide clear blue or grey area.

Here is one of my 146s next to a Pelikan 800 and you can see the ink view area on the MB.

Last edited by jar; May 4th, 2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: add the word current

Thanks

146 is good for daily use, 149 is too big for me. I have the 146, it is a great writer.

Thanks

Here is a bit of my personal opinion.

149- Like you said, it is an iconic pen. It's a fantastic writer, weighted perfectly for its size, and is the most enjoyable pen to write with that I currently own. It's a matter of preference, but I personally use my 149 when I write for shorter periods of time. Writing more than a full page (A4) my hand will get a bit tired.

147- This is the best all around pen in the Montblanc lineup in my opinion. It has the physical size of the 146 but without the added weight of the piston mechanism. In addition, it has the simplicity and reliability of the 144, but is much more durable and utilizes a much nicer cartridge filling mechanism. It also comes with a very nice travel case which holes both the pen and 6 cartridges.

146- An exceptional pen and is fantastic all around as well. It has all the same features of the 149, but with a slightly smaller nib.

Here is what I would choose given these situations:
    1.) Best all around pen- 147
    2.) Most iconic pen- 149
    3.) If you desire a piston filler and plan to write for long periods of time- 146
    4.) If this is your first larger Montblanc pen- 149
    5.) If you plan to travel with it- 147
    6.) Best nib- 149
    7.) Best vintage pen- 149 with a celluloid barrel and silver trim rings
    8.) Best value when buying used- 146 (generally can be had for under $200)

If your choice is between the 146 and 149 go with the 149, especially if the price difference is that close. The 146 is a fantastic pen and I wouldn't dare to say it is inferior, it just has a slightly different purpose. However, I wouldn't rule out the idea of a 147 for the right price.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mmahany For This Useful Post:

franzdimson (May 14th, 2013)

Banned
    Thanks

Whats the difference between the two?
    I have a 146 and it looks very similar to the 149 in my opinion. Ofcourse, Ive only seens pics of the 149

Thanks

The 149 is much larger for one...wider and longer.

Thanks

Here is a comparison between the 146, 147, and 149. There are two of each (one capped and one not).

Notes-
    1.) The 146 and 147 are nearly identical in physical appearance. The newer 146 and 147 are identical in size, but my older 146 with a mono-toned gold nib is a few millimeters shorter than my modern 146 and my 147s. Even still the slight difference is negligible
    2.) The 149 is physically larger in every way. Longer, thicker, heavier, and a larger nib.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmahany For This Useful Post:

I like mango pudding (May 13th, 2013), KrazyIvan (May 13th, 2013)