Thread: #5 nibs versus #6 nibs

Thanks

Default #5 nibs versus #6 nibs

After a short search, I did not find a post on this, but there no doubt it. Nonetheless:
    In modern pens, I have a preference for #6 nibs, but have no real evidence for why. Maybe because they go with a larger pen, and my hands like a wider grip now. Maybe there is a wider center of gravity? My smaller nibs write just as well, and often better.
    So I thought I would throw this one out for discussion. Any thoughts on your preferences?
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Default Re: #5 nibs versus #6 nibs

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    After a short search, I did not find a post on this, but there no doubt it. Nonetheless:
    In modern pens, I have a preference for #6 nibs, but have no real evidence for why. Maybe because they go with a larger pen, and my hands like a wider grip now. Maybe there is a wider center of gravity? My smaller nibs write just as well, and often better.
    So I thought I would throw this one out for discussion. Any thoughts on your preferences?
    I feel like they write better and have better ink flow, but its probably all in my head.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SaoDavi For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (November 25th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SaoDavi View Post
    I feel like they write better and have better ink flow, but its probably all in my head.
    Thanks SaoDavi. I know there are other sites that discuss this question, but that "it's probably all in my head" probably works for a lot of things about fountain pens.
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

I prefer the right size nib to suit the pen. Too often modern pens, to my eye, have far too large a nib to suit the proportions. Usually a #6. But I wouldn't say a #5 was my favourite either; for best writing experience, often it's a #2 or equivalent. But is that because of size? Or age? Or all just in my head? Not a scooby.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    I prefer the right size nib to suit the pen. Too often modern pens, to my eye, have far too large a nib to suit the proportions. Usually a #6. But I wouldn't say a #5 was my favourite either; for best writing experience, often it's a #2 or equivalent. But is that because of size? Or age? Or all just in my head? Not a scooby.
    Good point. I was wondering if I had a large pen, would I notice if the nib were smaller?
    Your comment on #2 nibs conjures my 1920s pens with their flexible nibs. Most of the #2 nibs I have are by default in another class. But in my older pens, I tend to associate large nibs with broader or fatter tips, but that is entirely my perception, and not even supported with any consistency by my own small collection.
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Not to contradict myself, but my Lamy 2000 and my Pilot Vanishing Point have small nibs and write fine.

Maybe it's just more about the aesthetics and proportions.

Maybe some could post some examples of pens with "wrong" sized nibs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SaoDavi For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (November 26th, 2017)