Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: School Pens

In the late '50s and early '60s, my elementary public (in the American sense) school near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA featured pencils and ballpoints, so no excitement there.

At the same time, the girl who I later married attended an independent girls school near Guilford, Surrey UK and used a Parker 17 that her father bought for her (he wrote with Parker pens, probably because of the royal warrant). By sheer chance, when she and I were in the late Bert Heiserman's Pen Haven in Maryland, she mentioned this pen to Bert. He brought out from a cabinet a mint Parker "17" made in England, in the very color blue that she recalled! I still have it, uninked, with it's squeeze converter embossed with instructions: TO FILL PRESS RIBBED BAR AT LEAST 5 TIMES and THE PARKER PEN CO LTD LONDON ENGLAND.

IMG_0392.JPG

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Deb (December 5th, 2017), inklord (December 5th, 2017), jmccarty3 (December 8th, 2017), Marsilius (December 5th, 2017), oldstoat (December 9th, 2017), penstaking (December 21st, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (December 5th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

I like the 17. In fact, it's the only hooded nib pen I use. They, like the 45, were among Parker's last really big sellers.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (December 5th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

I have numerous Sheaffer school pens.....was given an Osmiroid a couple years ago and instantly became a huge fan.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (December 5th, 2017)

Thanks

Our three children also graduated from pencils to FPs at school. Eldest went through with Safaris and borrowing my trusty P25 for exams (he's another that uses 1.1 cursive italics). For his 18th, we gave him an M200 with an M400 nib custom ground to a 1.1 cursive italic, which took him through uni.

Our middle lad used a Safari with a fine nib through school, and graduated to one of my Dad's P45s with a medium nib (he chose this when Dad died). This pen is loaded with Noodler's black and is used to fill out maintenance records now that he is a bus mechanic.

Our youngest is still at school, and is another that uses fine nibs. Her back up pen for exams is my M200.

Thanks

The two school pens I can recall were a blue cartridge pen from WH Smiths which wrote really well and my Osmiroid Cartridge pen. I left school in 1991 and I still have the Osmiroid. It's never had a converter fitted into it and it never will. If I want to write with it I pop in a blue ink cartridge.
    It was the only fountain pen I had until 2005 which was when I bought my Waterman Hemisphere thus kickstarting the bug.
    Even at school I preferred to write with a fountain pen rather than a biro.
    No doubt about it fountain pens have soul whereas biros don't.
    A working class hero is something to be. (John Lennon)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidDecorator For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (December 21st, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDecorator View Post
    The two school pens I can recall were a blue cartridge pen from WH Smiths which wrote really well and my Osmiroid Cartridge pen. I left school in 1991 and I still have the Osmiroid. It's never had a converter fitted into it and it never will. If I want to write with it I pop in a blue ink cartridge.
    It was the only fountain pen I had until 2005 which was when I bought my Waterman Hemisphere thus kickstarting the bug.
    Even at school I preferred to write with a fountain pen rather than a biro.
    No doubt about it fountain pens have soul whereas biros don't.
    Which cartridges does your Osmiroid take?
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog