Thread: Pentel Sterling Rollerball converted into Fountain Pen

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Default Pentel Sterling Rollerball converted into Fountain Pen

Got this with a bunch of other pens from Japan, and the first think I thought was, what a waste of a good Sterling Silver body. So I examined the construction of this pen.
    It has no metal section like a typical rollerball, rather it has a long section (sturdy plastic) that ends in a rollerball. Then the section just screw into the metal barrel and continues into a plastic ink container that looks like a permanently attached long ink cartridge.

This whole plastic section-cartridge assembly has a code printed on it Pentel REM6 JAPAN. So I assume I can buy another one as a refill. So I am not permanently converting this pen, just this one "cartridge" (for the lack of a better word).

I remove the rollerball tip and fish out the fiber-like inside that contains the ink. After the cartridge is clean and free of fibers, I'm now at the point where I could just try to fit a nib and feed into the "section", or find a small section that would fit into the opening.

Finding a feed that fits, and an FPR nib, I managed to find a good snug fit without additional section:

I'll fill this with ink and see how it goes. If this writes well, we'll deal with the refilling strategy later (part two of this project).
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (December 7th, 2017), Deb (December 7th, 2017), EMQG (December 6th, 2017), KrazyIvan (December 6th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Default Re: Pentel Sterling Rollerball converted into Fountain Pen

Oops forgot to update this thread:

It writes! But this morning I saw some ink on my fingers. It's not a leak, but the area around the nib and feed are very saturated with ink (duh!).
    Maybe it's time to find a small section, but that also means smaller nib than the FPR. Hmmm...
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens