Thread: Polishing/cleaning nibs

Thanks

Default Polishing/cleaning nibs

Sometimes when you get an older nib it is discolored.. what do you use to polish it up and make it look like new again?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

Default Re: Polishing/cleaning nibs

Meguiars metal polish. I always check the slit after to make sure no residue is hiding there.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sunshine cloth. No residue to worry about, minimal material removal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Meguiars metal polish. I always check the slit after to make sure no residue is hiding there.
    thanks for that, there are some metal polishes that are a paste, others like a liquid, which one is Meguiars please?
    It's a paste.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Sunshine cloth. No residue to worry about, minimal material removal.
    I'd second that; also is a marvellous mild polishing medium for the business end (tipping); I'd still floss the nib slit after polishing, though, since a Sailor once gave me grief after polishing (minimal ink flow) until I flossed a few sunshine cloth fibers from the nib slit right at the tip!

Thanks

I'd start with a Selvyt PR cloth, and only resort to abrasive products like Meguiar's or a Sunshine cloth if that proves ineffective. Note that some of these products are intended to leave a protective film (e.g. "conditioner", wax, etc.) behind; that must be thoroughly stripped to ensure proper performance.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kirchh View Post
    I'd start with a Selvyt PR cloth, and only resort to abrasive products like Meguiar's or a Sunshine cloth if that proves ineffective. Note that some of these products are intended to leave a protective film (e.g. "conditioner", wax, etc.) behind; that must be thoroughly stripped to ensure proper performance.

--Daniel
    I took it from the OP's question that we were talking about the the difficult ones. Those are the ones I use metal polish on. For the rest, a little time with a clean cloth is quite enough. Now, "some of these products" isn't really specific enough. Do you mean Meguairs or don't you? I've been using the same container for about five years. I have many of the pens I've used it on in that time. Their performance is excellent.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

--Daniel
    I took it from the OP's question that we were talking about the the difficult ones. Those are the ones I use metal polish on. For the rest, a little time with a clean cloth is quite enough. Now, "some of these products" isn't really specific enough. Do you mean Meguairs or don't you? I've been using the same container for about five years. I have many of the pens I've used it on in that time. Their performance is excellent.
    Yes... refurbing old nibs that have been neglected.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stickler View Post

--Daniel
    Yes... refurbing old nibs that have been neglected.
    If they're inky and dirty, but not actually scratched such that an abrasive product is needed to level the surface, a careful cleaning and work with a Selvyt PR is the mildest intervention. Failing that, I'd go with a dry impregnated polishing cloth to minimize the risk of getting paste into places it ought not be.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton

Thanks
    Thanked 10,500 Times in 4,015 Posts

If it's just a discoloured older gold nib, then a quick dip into 'silver dip' works for me. Jewellery cleaner might work too. A whizz in an ultrasonic cleaner will also bring it up.

If it's an old vintage nib with marks as well as discolouration, then a wipe with a smooth cloth is worth a try before going on to a Sunshine cloth, then Meguiars polish