Thread: Montblanc 149

Thanks

Default Montblanc 149

I am interested in the Montblanc 149 in any nib configurations. Please contact me if you have one for sale

I am located in Canada and will be paying with PayPal. If you need references as I rarely use this account, let me know!

Thanks

Default Re: Montblanc 149

Hello xopher, I have two 149s for sale at the moment. One is mint with sticker on barrel, ca 1992-95: two-tone 18K fine nib and first-generation plastic feed. Never even dipped. The second is a current production: ca 2010 til present, three-tone 18K fine nib, second-generation plastic feed. It is in excellent plus condition, has been filled & posted a couple of times. No box for either. How about $425 for either one? Price includes insured postage from Virginia to you, and will toss in a bottle of 1990s just opened Montblanc blue-black ink from which I have taken one penful. Will send photos if you like, but I am pretty lousy at pictures. Please check my references. The pens are perfect. The 149 is one of my favorite models. Look forward to hearing from you. Have a good week. Best wishes, Barry
    Last edited by Barry Gabay; December 11th, 2017 at 07:22 AM. Reason: misspelled word

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Barry Gabay For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 26th, 2017)

Thanks

Sorry I’m going to have to pass at that price seeing as the original case isn’t included. Thanks for your time

Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 Times in 4,000 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    Sorry I’m going to have to pass at that price seeing as the original case isn’t included. Thanks for your time
    I believe that is a mistake. You won't use the box.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (December 12th, 2017)

Thanks

Jop, You are very kind. Thank you for your generous words. The current production 149, I believe, has just been claimed. Will post if so. Thank you, Chrissy, for your encouragement. Moderators, I suppose this should move to For Sale. I will move it if I can figure out how. Best wishes, Barry
    Last edited by Barry Gabay; December 12th, 2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: grammar error

Thanks

The rapier thrust of your focus upon the truly important aspect dear fellow, is breathtaking to behold.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oob For This Useful Post:

Deb (December 13th, 2017), lsmith42 (December 13th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oob View Post
    The rapier thrust of your focus upon the truly important aspect dear fellow, is breathtaking to behold.
    That was unnecessarily condescending. Well done on your first post!

It's entirely possible that the OP wants to get a used 149 to test drive, expecting a decent chance of not liking it and having to move it on. In that case, having the box/papers helps.

Thanks

Good morning,

Both 149s have been sold. Thank you very much to all of the kind people who posted here & sent private messages. I appreciate all of your communications. You all are evidence of how genuinely supportive the members of this website are. Peace, Barry

Thanks

I’m actually surprised too. Is it wrong to want a complete set...? For some, this pen is clearly a tool, however, I’m more of a collector. My focus has actually wandered off towards more of the vintage variety with flex.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Gabay View Post
    Good morning,

Both 149s have been sold. Thank you very much to all of the kind people who posted here & sent private messages. I appreciate all of your communications. You all are evidence of how genuinely supportive the members of this website are. Peace, Barry
    Thanks again for replying to my WTB ad. I apologize if my comment came off a little harsh. If you encounter other MB 149, please let me know! Bonus points if it flexes.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

...If you encounter other MB 149, please let me know! Bonus points if it flexes.
    That's not feasible for a Montblanc No. 9 nib in a pen made after the '60s. You better be prepared to spend more than what you've shown you're willing to pay so far. Others may disagree, but figure $550 and up used retail for an early resin 149 that has semi-flex, and $1,500 and up for a celluloid that has semi-flex, and even more money for more flex. Correct boxes from that era of 149s are harder to come by, and will drive the price even higher.

Good luck with your search for a 149 with a box and flex nib at your price point.
    Last edited by FredRydr; December 13th, 2017 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oob View Post
    How very well put. I think you've come to the right place.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Thanks again for replying to my WTB ad. I apologize if my comment came off a little harsh. If you encounter other MB 149, please let me know! Bonus points if it flexes.
    As the Boy from the Farm says... “every pen will flex at least once...”

Thanks

Did I say I wasn’t willing to pay? It just wasn’t in the configuration I was looking for. Boy this community is hostile. Good night internet warriors

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...If you encounter other MB 149, please let me know! Bonus points if it flexes.
    That's not feasible for a Montblanc No. 9 nib in a pen made after the '60s. You better be prepared to spend more than what you've shown you're willing to pay so far. Others may disagree, but figure $550 and up used retail for an early resin 149 that has semi-flex, and $1,500 and up for a celluloid that has semi-flex, and even more money for more flex. Correct boxes from that era of 149s are harder to come by, and will drive the price even higher.

Good luck with your search for a 149 with a box and flex nib at your price point.
    Mhm! I’m familiar with those prices. This hunt will definitely be fun

Thanks

If you are still interested, I have a 149 I can sell. It has a fine nib, was manufactured about 1980, and has the original clam shell box. $425 shipped.

I also have a 1950s celluloid silver rings model with a tortoise box. It would be significantly more.........

Best wishes,

Chris

Thanks

Did I say I wasn’t willing to pay? It just wasn’t in the configuration I was looking for. Boy this community is hostile. Good night internet warriors
    Not the first time this has been said. Possibly time for someone to start a new courtesy thread.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

Alchemist (December 19th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I believe that is a mistake. You won't use the box.
    I think it depends on what you expect to do with the pen. If it's a writer for you and never plan on selling it then a box & papers isn't much of an issue but if you think that eventually you may sell the pen then B&P can be a large price difference. There are MB users and MB collectors and collectors want to have everything and are willing to pay top dollar. I have seen Writers editions described as coming with box, papers, outer box and plastic sealed! The price was a multiple of the pen itself. It has taken me a long time to realize what I think is important isn't necessarily what other people think is important , and people pay for what they think is important. I use to rail against what I thought was sillyness in pens but eventually realized you like what you like and aren't easily going to be swayed.

To bring this back around I too am looking for a 149 with fine nib and brass filler. So PM me if you have something.
    Be Here Now