Thread: Parts: modern Aurora Optima

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Parts and repairs: modern Aurora Optima

In 2007, I bought a new Aurora Optima that has recently developed a crack running the length of its black plastic section. Has any Optima owners sourced a section from Aurora? I've done a bit of research, and about to send the pen to Kenro Industries in Mineola NY (minimum flat fee $35). https://kenroforyou.com/product/auro...-consultation/

Anyone have experience with Aurora parts and repairs?

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; March 18th, 2018 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Parts: modern Aurora Optima

The good news is that it will be fixed, and done well.

The bad news is that their communications are poor, and if it has to go to Italy it will take a while. But it will be fixed and done well.

This is based on my experience in having an Aurora repaired in Italy via Kenro.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 17th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I've never dealt with Kenro as I'm in the UK.

Just before I was about to buy a brand new Aurora Optima 365, I contacted Aurora (HQ) to ask about a nib exchange service. The CEO's office advised me to send the pen to them for a quote for a brand new nib, but that they didn't do any free nib exchanges. I would ned to buy a brand new nib and I wouldn't get the original one returned.

Needless to say, I didn't bother.

Thanks

Kenro does a great job with repairs. They're professional about it and my recent interaction with them was quite pleasant. I don't think there is a way around the $35 fee unless you want to take it up with the retailer you bought the pen from.

These issues with Aurora pens cracking concerns me. I've read about 5 on the forums now, not a big number, I understand. But are Aurora's really prone to such cracks?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s_t_e_v_e View Post
    These issues with Aurora pens cracking concerns me. I've read about 5 on the forums now, not a big number, I understand. But are Aurora's really prone to such cracks?
    This is the only modern Aurora fountain pen I own, so I cannot say.

I'll post the progress of Aurora's service for USA owners: I purchased a $35 basic service through the Kenro website and printed the confirmation of purchase with order number and address. I packed the pen with cap into one of my telescoping pen tubes, then tucked the pen and printout into a small flat-rate Priority box and sent it off. I included the cap in case Aurora replaces the entire barrel/section assembly and the old cap does not match. I decided to unscrew the nib unit from the section and put that away; I really like that nib and do not want a replacement if that can be avoided. The risk is a new section might not have the same threads, something I'm willing to deal with if Aurora asks me to send it along.

Stay tuned....
    Last edited by FredRydr; December 22nd, 2017 at 06:37 AM.

Thanks

Pen delivered to Kenro on 17 December 2017 at their offices (not far from the Long Island Pen Show venue!). Despite enclosing printed documentation from their website (repair order No. and all my contact information), Kenro has not acknowledged their receipt of my Optima. I'm not concerned; it's just a question of business sense.

Thanks

Fred, I’ve had a couple of repairs go through Kenro and what you’re describing seems par for the course. The communication is poor and the wait can be lengthy, though the work was satisfactorily completeled (eventually).

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Pen delivered to Kenro on 17 December 2017 at their offices (not far from the Long Island Pen Show venue!). Despite enclosing printed documentation from their website (repair order No. and all my contact information), Kenro has not acknowledged their receipt of my Optima. I'm not concerned; it's just a question of business sense.
    I’m in the same boat with Pilot customer’s service. I sent the pen weeks go nd have not heard anything from the company.

I would not be concerned about Aurora pens cracking as a whole, Steve. A few pens do not establish a trend for the whole brand. That said, any plastic pen can crack—all the way up to MBs.
    "Love is the final fight."

Thanks

I believe the status on the order shows as 'processing' after they have received your pen. And once they have shipped the pen to you, it changes to 'Completed'.

Thanks

It's always hard to wait for the return of precious pens when they have to go away to be fixed. Hopefully, they will return to their homes very soon.

Thanks

An Aurora Optima in green (turquoise) Auroloide was delivered to me today by the USPS (on a Sunday!). I'm not sure if it is my original pen, because it is polished like new. I can see no evidence of reattaching a new section to the barrel. The piston and ink window have no vestiges of ink whatsoever. Even if Aurora replaced everything except the cap, they matched the cap and barrel perfectly. I'm happy! So in the USA, it was a three month turnaround for my Aurora repair (or replacement).

I'm researching the retail price of a new Optima nib/feed unit (does anyone already know?).

IMG_0751.JPG
    The color is deeper, darker and greener than appears in this iPhone photo
    Last edited by FredRydr; March 19th, 2018 at 11:31 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (March 18th, 2018)

Thanks

Glad you got your pen back!

I wish you would have mentioned that during your repair. Aurora would have replaced your nib with the size of your choice as well. I have done so in the past.

Buying a new nib unit will be around $150-$250.

Thanks

It certainly sounds like it's better service than getting a brand new nib swapped.

Thanks

I'm researching the retail price of a new Optima nib/feed unit (does anyone already know?).
    Like Rani (aka Aurora) already mentioned, you can find one in the $150 - $250 range, new.

Or you could also look on eBay, but you need some patience there as you might not find one right away.
    I went the eBay route and did well (got one in my choice of size for under $100).