Thread: Newbie needs help with M800

Thanks

Default Newbie needs help with M800

Hi everybody, I posted this in another forum too to see if I can get some info asap so if you read this somewhere else it is the same pen.

I'm new to fountain pens and just started in September this year. Can someone offer me some information regarding the M800. Any and all information will be appreciated. I just received my first Pelikan in the mail after picking it up on ebay for $175 (do you guys think that this is a fair price to pay). It isn't in the best condition and has some ugly cosmetic scratched on it but the nib seems to be ok. The piston knob seems like it is a little tight. I have a old but very smooth piston in a Montblanc 146, which I also picked up on ebay. I was able to unscrew the piston part and lubricate it with silicon grease. Can I do the same for the Pelikan? Are there any illustrated guides online that show this? I notice that the piston is not all the way up but only at the half way point, by looking at the body in front of a bright light. The piston is only half way up the barrel and the knob is already flush against the body. For the Montblanc there is a method to adjust the starting point of the piston inside the barrel. I am assuming that there should be a similar procedure for the Pelikan. Thanks in advance for all the input.

P.S. : Is there a special tool I need to take the nib off. I had purchase a M800 fine nib that I would like to swap out for the BB that is on it now

IMG_0059.jpgIMG_0060.jpgIMG_0061.jpgIMG_0062.jpgIMG_0063.jpg

Thanks

Default Re: Newbie needs help with M800

Flush the pen out with lukewarm water until it runs clear. Now, just to be certain to loosen any dried ink around the nib collar, fill the pen with water and soak the whole nib section in some water. (Fill the container so it has water up to just above the nib).
    Let the pen stand overnight in the water.
    In the morning, unscrew the nib. Grip the nib so your thumb is holding the nib and your fingers the feed. The nib should unscrew easily. If not, you probably have dried ink in the threads still, so flush the pen and soak some more.
    You can lube the piston from the nib end. Use a toothpick or match with a small amount of silicon and rub it well up on the inside of the barrel. (Not too much silicon, or it will clog the feed.)
    You could also try putting the whole pen in some warm water and work the piston. In piston pens you always end up with some ink on the top of the piston and flushing the old ink out also loosens the piston.

The M800 piston will also unscrew. You need the right size spanner and remember it is a left hand thread.
    To lube the piston in a Pelikan, it is easier and safer to lube it from the nib end.

You can do the same to clean out the piston on your MB.
    MB nibs are not as easy to unscrew without the right tools, so don't try unscrewing the nib until you know more about the pen.

You should be able to find help on unscrewing the M800 piston on FPN.
    Last edited by whych; December 19th, 2017 at 05:29 PM.

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

No need to search fpn for a guide. Here is a video regarding dissembling the m800:

https://youtu.be/MI9XjWSvBqQ

I would fast forward to 4:08 as the first part is a comparison with another pen. I love Pelikans because they are so easily self serviceable. The price you paid is a good deal. The nib alone is worth more than that.

Dfo
    Last edited by dfo; December 19th, 2017 at 05:55 PM.
    "Love is the final fight."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    Flush the pen out with lukewarm water until it runs clear. Now, just to be certain to loosen any dried ink around the nib collar, fill the pen with water and soak the whole nib section in some water. (Fill the container so it has water up to just above the nib).
    Let the pen stand overnight in the water.
    In the morning, unscrew the nib. Grip the nib so your thumb is holding the nib and your fingers the feed. The nib should unscrew easily. If not, you probably have dried ink in the threads still, so flush the pen and soak some more.
    You can lube the piston from the nib end. Use a toothpick or match with a small amount of silicon and rub it well up on the inside of the barrel. (Not too much silicon, or it will clog the feed.)
    You could also try putting the whole pen in some warm water and work the piston. In piston pens you always end up with some ink on the top of the piston and flushing the old ink out also loosens the piston.

The M800 piston will also unscrew. You need the right size spanner and remember it is a left hand thread.
    To lube the piston in a Pelikan, it is easier and safer to lube it from the nib end.

You can do the same to clean out the piston on your MB.
    MB nibs are not as easy to unscrew without the right tools, so don't try unscrewing the nib until you know more about the pen.

You should be able to find help on unscrewing the M800 piston on FPN.
    Whych, thank you for your advice, I'm already soaking the pen. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks

dfo, thanks, I totally forgot about his videos even though I seen most of them. Can't wait to ink up and give the bird a run.

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

I wouldn't soak the whole pen over night. The striped green bind can swell and split, as it is made of cellulose acetate. A few hours is enough.
    "Love is the final fight."