Thread: Rhodia 80gsm vs 90gsm qualities

Thanks

Default Rhodia 80gsm vs 90gsm qualities

Hi all,

I’ve read that Rhodia paper is silky smooth & show sheen, also most have the 90gsm cream clairefontein paper. I’ve also read in another thread that the paper in their pads are different to the notebooks. Also the different pads have various paper gms. & qualities.

I’m interested in the no.18 pad with 80gsm white paper - Is this paper also silky smooth & does it show sheen? How does the 80gsm white compare to the 90gsm cream?

I should just get some tomoe river paper, but that’s a bit rich for me at the moment 😄

Thanks

Default Re: Rhodia 80gsm vs 90gsm qualities

I'm not a paper expert but I have used Rhodia and it is very smooth. I remember it showing sheen but looking through old notes I'm not seeing much, even with sheeny inks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mulrich View Post
    I'm not a paper expert but I have used Rhodia and it is very smooth. I remember it showing sheen but looking through old notes I'm not seeing much, even with sheeny inks.
    Thank you. Does the paper have an almost glossy smooth texture?

Thanks

Maybe someone has done a systematic trial, but different pads feel different to me. The blank pad feels different from lined and dotted. Can’t tell if that is an objective opinion, but the blank paper pad feels more glossy. I do feel like it is a touch smootherbthan Clairfontaine notebooks I have used.
    I wonder if there is a a way to measure these . . .
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    Maybe someone has done a systematic trial, but different pads feel different to me. The blank pad feels different from lined and dotted. Can’t tell if that is an objective opinion, but the blank paper pad feels more glossy. I do feel like it is a touch smootherbthan Clairfontaine notebooks I have used.
    I’ve tried every kind of YouTube search for a clip, searched here & at fpn, but could find nothing that gives me a full comparison.

Thank you for your reply, think that answers my last question. Guess it’s time to go buy some & see for myself.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sadiq For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (December 21st, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiq View Post
    I’ve tried every kind of YouTube search for a clip, searched here & at fpn, but could find nothing that gives me a full comparison.

Thank you for your reply, think that answers my last question. Guess it’s time to go buy some & see for myself.
    On Saturday I will get my papers out again and try a comparison. We can trade notes then!
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

On Saturday I will get my papers out again and try a comparison. We can trade notes then!
    I’ll post my findings once my pad arrives...

The only A4 pad I can get is the no.18 with 80gsm white paper, that is without importing my paper .

I’ve seen reviews of the ‘color’ series that come with 90gsm cream paper. If I’m going to import paper I may as well get TR, as the weight is less, I can save on shipping costs lol.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sadiq For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (December 21st, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I've compared when buying pads at pen shows. The thicker paper is a cream color and has fewer sheets in each pad. I always opt for the traditional white lighter-weight paper.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

dfo (December 22nd, 2017), Marsilius (December 21st, 2017)

Thanks

If you like Sadiq, I can send you some loose leaves of paper including the Tomoe River and Rhodia to compare.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (December 22nd, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    If you like Sadiq, I can send you some loose leaves of paper including the Tomoe River and Rhodia to compare.
    Wow. Thank you so much SIR, that’s a very generous offer.

I was going to purchase the 80gsm pad today, but I think I’ll hold off till I do the comparison.

I’ll pm you for further details. Thank you again

Thanks

Currently in South Africa, there’s one online store that sells decent fountain pen paraphernalia, but they’re quite limited. Of the brands they sell are Moleskine, TWSBI Notebooks, Rhodia (not all variants) & Life Co.

I’ve read the description of the Life Co. noble note & it says that they’re from Japan, has 80gsm cream paper that’ll show sheen.

Do any of you have experience with Life Co. paper? Can you tell me about smoothness, sheeting, shading qualities?

Thanks

I was going to purchase the 80gsm pad today, but I think I’ll hold off till I do the comparison.

Not at all, it will be my pleasure; Tomoe River can seem a daunting proposition price wise, but once you've tried it I'm sure you'll be convinced.

Thanks

Not at all, it will be my pleasure; Tomoe River can seem a daunting proposition price wise, but once you've tried it I'm sure you'll be convinced.
    A few years back I received a letter on TR, I went ahead & wrote on every blank piece on the sheet so I have an idea of what it feels like.

The price is a bit much, therefore the need to find something with similar qualities. & I know nothing is like the real TR.

Thanks

Do any of you have experience with Life Co. paper? Can you tell me about smoothness, sheeting, shading qualities?
    Life is great great paper, ink resistant (not as much as TR) and sheens shades and handles like a champ. Less chalky and smooth than Rhodia/CF. A little less sheen and such compared to TR but has substance like a real paper and better dry times than TR. I like it every much as TR and if given a choice of a life time supply of (haha) of Life paper and notebooks or TR, I would probably choose the Life. It is more versatile, more like standard paper but outperforms CF/Rhodia and has a nicer texture. YMMV.

I like the notebooks but don't often buy them ($) but do like these pads:

and use them a lot since Tomoe River is not available here anyway. I have pad of it and use that for air mail (seems like old school airmail paper).

I guess that all I am saying is that moving to or from Life from TR is a lateral move and it is all about the application and personal taste. I like TR, but don't want to use it for everything. I adore Life.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 4th, 2018), SIR (December 23rd, 2017)

Thanks

Thanx stub!

I prefer super smooth paper to textured paper, & I really don’t mind long dry times - I love watching the ink dry.

I’m still deciding, but may try the Rhodia & the Life paper.

Thanks

Well. I never got to take a picture, but I look forward to hearing about your comparison. My 80g and 90g are both very smooth and feel pretty similar. Another really smooth glossy feeling paper is Apica.
    Fortibus es in ero