Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using only visconti Homo Sapien fountain pens

Thanks

Default Re: Using only visconti Homo Sapien fountain pens

I have been using London Fog almost daily for last 5 months. They are very good writing implement :-)
    With a super Med CI grind from Nib Smith :-)

Thanks

Why did it need a nibsmith if it’s such a great writer?

Thanks

It didn't. I needed, because i love CI nibs. :-)

Thanks

A nibmeister can make any nib write perfectly...even a cheap Jinhao.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

Medieval (July 2nd, 2018)

Thanks

sure...how does that change whether London Fog is a daily writer for me or not? I was replying to original question -> Is it is an ornament or a good writing instrument -> For me it is a good writing instrument. Correct Size, quality, feel in hand, weight, and i love the look of it. Also very functional filling mechanism. It is a well made product for daily writing. And this one did come out of the box with an excellent "M" nib. So i did not get that nib ground. I bought a new nib to get CI grind :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Onionartz View Post
    It didn't. I needed, because i love CI nibs. :-)
    I believe he was referring to your original post where you said this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onionartz View Post
    I have had many pens over last year or so (M800s, Pilots, Sailors etc....), but since i used visconti HS, i am exclusively using only Visconti Homo Sapien fountain pens. Something about the weight and feel of the pen is very exclusive for me. So now i am using exclusively 3 HS pens for my daily writing (Bronze age maxi, Chiantishire and London Fog). The nibs needed some work before they wrote well, but i hardly use any of my other pens. I do not see much topics about visconti's in forums. Are there any other visconti exclusive users out there?
    Last edited by Medieval; July 2nd, 2018 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks

Even a fake Hero costing £1 for a 10 pack can be made into a fantastic writer after sending it to a nibmeister. It's how the pen writes out of the box that matters.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Medieval For This Useful Post:

SIR (September 23rd, 2018)

Thanks

I am not generalizing nor trying to get any one to agree with me. For me London fog was and is a good writing instrument. :-)
    I do not mind some nib adjustment to make the pen write the way i want. It is part of the fountain pen experience for me.
    I never had any pens which wrote the way i want out of the box and i own many pens (Visconti, Pelikan, MBs, Pilots...). They were all functional, but did not give me the joy of writing.
    MB Rouge Coral with a Fine nib was the only pen which came close to my perfect nib preference.
    Last edited by Onionartz; July 2nd, 2018 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks

I own 14 Visconti pens, I love them all! The only nib I needed to send back was the chiantishire. It wrote fine, just not wet enough for my liking and Visconti gladly accepted it back to work on the Nib. I’ve owned and used almost every pen company from this tier or price point and non seem to check as many boxes as a Visconti. They are the pens I now exclusively use and buy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lionheartlee For This Useful Post:

julio.romay.5 (January 18th, 2019)

Thanks

Couldn't agree more with those expressing positive views about Visconti, a unique and original penmaker. I have a modest seven Visconti pens, dating from early models up to the HS Bronze. Marvelous, beautiful and original designs that function superbly.
    A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him.

Thanks

I own 8 Visconti fountain pens. The ones with the internal fillers are in my top 5 pens with only a Pelikan claiming a top 5 spot. The HS is the favorite of them all.

Thanks

Your a brave man to put that much faith in visconti.
    Mouth injury is stopping you to get in Kickboxing and MMA Sport.Here We have list of Best mouth gurad Reviews and buyer Guide about Kickboxing Mouth Gurd.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Medieval View Post
    Even a fake Hero costing £1 for a 10 pack can be made into a fantastic writer after sending it to a nibmeister. It's how the pen writes out of the box that matters.
    Why? If a $2 pen plus $40 of adjustment produces as good or better a writer as a pen that costs $800, isn't that significant? I'd say so.

(And what happens if you buy that pen pre-adjusted for $21? Does it now count but not the one that has to make the trip?)
    Last edited by ilikenails; January 13th, 2019 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjohn View Post
    It doesn't sound like "faith" but actual experience. The poster has tried Viscontis and found they suit him or her: no faith is required.

Thanks

I have found viscontis to be a hit or miss when it comes to writing experience out of the box, but they always hit it out of the park in aesthetics. I currently own 4, and will most likely add more to my collection in the future.

Thanks

Welcome to FPG. Nice to see your first post is an attack on someone else's experience, enjoyment, and comfort with a brand.

Misfit isn't the only one to own and enjoy multiple Visconti pens without issue. I've had six of them. The worst "issue" was needing to flush with soapy water to get some manufacturing or assembly oil out of the nib so the ink would flow. It's not brave. It's choosing not to believe and regurgitate the bullshit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    Welcome to FPG. Nice to see your first post is an attack on someone else's experience, enjoyment, and comfort with a brand.

Misfit isn't the only one to own and enjoy multiple Visconti pens without issue. I've had six of them. The worst "issue" was needing to flush with soapy water to get some manufacturing or assembly oil out of the nib so the ink would flow. It's not brave. It's choosing not to believe and regurgitate the bullshit.
    There's a very responsible and nuanced discussion re. Visconti here -

https://blog.gouletpens.com/2017/10/...nal-collection

...All companies ship faulty pens from time to time, possibly it happened more at one time with Visconti than average, but that's because they were trying to do something ambitious and interesting. And afaik they always stood behind their pens, at least if they were bought through a proper dealer.

Otoh it's natural that people who had bad experiences would be remember them too...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    It's also their only post and their sig contains spam - save your ire for more worthy targets, Scooby.

Owing, perhaps, to Scottish heritage and/or only happening on one Visconti bargain, I have, er, only one Visconti. (Everyone say "Awww") It writes. I liked it enough to replace its steel nib with an NOS gold one. That writes too. I kinda like it, but not, it seems, enough to purchase another Visconti thus far. Mayhap I will ink it up again sometime soon and see if that might change. That is all.

P.S. "London Fog" annoys the hell out of me as a name for a pen - we've only had the Clean Air Act since 1956, ffs. Love George Gershwin and his lovely wife Ira to death and back, but dammit, I wish they'd never written that particular damn song...

Thanks

I have a couple of Rebecca Moss Voyager demos (earlier version of the HS). I've put loads of miles on them over 10+ years as everyday work pens with no trouble at all.
    When they were new the stories were about all the celluloid swirls separating from the acrylic in the barrels, causing leaks. I don't doubt that it happened, but I've never seen one with that problem.

I like Homo Sapiens a lot. I sold my Bronze only because I generally don't use black pens. I love the swirled demonstrators.

The crooked clip syndrome is a valid complaint. I much prefer the Voyager Il Moro clip.

And I've noticed that most of the unsatisfactory reviews are about the Midi. That's a very different pen with its small nib. Am I right that the Midi uses a captive converter?

Thanks

Correct. The Midi has a captured converter of some sort, but it might as well be labeled a piston filler as the converter isn't something you can pull out of the pen like other converters.

My one problem with a Visconti was with my Midi HS. I didn't realize that most of the negative reviews were in relation to that specific size / variant. I guess mine is one more on the pile, though as noted the problem went away after thoroughly cleaning.

Currently using my HS Jade as my daily carry.