Thread: re: Please some help end this search

Thanks

Default re: Please some help end this search

Hello, My name is Jason Bradley and I’ve been search for a pen cap for almost 7 months. I own a Mont Blanc LeGrande Platinum 7571. This was a gift my grandfather gave when I was promoted back in 2014. He has since passed away and this pen is one of my most treasured things. 7 months go some stole the cap off of my desk and I have yet to be able to replace it. I have scoured ebay and amazon, I have even been ripped off by a few “Chinese knock-off companies whose products never arrive). I don’t mind paying for the cap, but Mont blanc wants me to give them my pen to send out so that it can return “repaired” with a new cap and I am just not comfortable sending my pen out.

I was directed to your site by a friend who is a jeweler in Boston. I have been trying to figure out how to post in one of your classifieds/forums but I do not believe I am allowed. Is there any way you could post something for me asking your community if someone out there would have that part to sell? I would greatly appreciate any help you could provide- my contact info is as follows

Address: Boston, MA 02127
    Cell;’ 978-809-7442
    Office- 617-720-2000
    And email: this one or jbradley324@gmail.com

Thank you so much for again, ANYTHING you can do.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Default Re: Please some help end this search

You ought to at least take a trip down to the Montblanc shop (I see one in Copley Place) and talk it over with them. Possibly having the pen with you will show the need for cap only, and if not, I would expect the MB people to be able to handle transport of the pen safely. Otherwise, it is still going to be hit-or-miss on finding a part like this. You might try putting a similar post on the "For Sale" sub-forum with the 'prefix' of WTB so that people know you are looking to purchase a part. While they tend to traffic in lower end pens, the pen_swap reddit also might be a place to start a WTB thread. I'd also suggest going to a pen show near you - the Philadelphia Pen Show is coming up in just a couple of weeks and it might be worth it to attend and ask a bunch of the vendors if they have a cap or might know a source. Most of the vintage sellers will be helpful in a case like this. Good luck!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,436 Times in 2,522 Posts

Finding a used 146 platinum cap is going to be nigh on impossible. Your only viable source is Montblanc. I agree that you should take your pen to the boutique and let Montblanc replace the cap. They will send it to the Texas service center.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 27th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Yup. If you want mochi go to the mochi maker.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,493 Times in 4,013 Posts

You will search forever fruitlessly unless you return the pen to Montblanc and request a replacement cap. They have to have the pen because Meisterstück 146 caps can be different sizes, as they have changed quite a few times over the years. Montblanc is the only place that can help you.

You will be fully insured if you take it to the boutique and let them send it. Otherwise, send it fully insured to your Montblanc Service Centre. There is no other option that will get you the right cap for your pen.
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 27th, 2017 at 04:22 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 27th, 2017), Robert (December 27th, 2017)

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

You can also let them know that you do not want the whole pen replaced: just the cap.
    "Love is the final fight."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dfo For This Useful Post:

Finnegans (January 7th, 2018), Jon Szanto (December 27th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dfo View Post
    You can also let them know that you do not want the whole pen replaced: just the cap.
    From what I've heard, that would be a very important thing to specify. The one hesitancy I've had about MB service is the many times I've read of people receiving very different (i.e. new) pens on return from service.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Finnegans (January 7th, 2018)

Thanks

The pen is already new. It's a 2014 model with platinised trim. It hasn't been produced for that long. Nothing vintage about it at all. So they will just replace the cap. No chance of them sending out a new nib unless they break it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

dfo (December 28th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    The pen is already new. It's a 2014 model with platinised trim. It hasn't been produced for that long. Nothing vintage about it at all. So they will just replace the cap. No chance of them sending out a new nib unless they break it.
    Yeah, I (sort of) knew that. But especially in light of it being relatively new, I would hope they wouldn't just plop an entirely new pen in a box and send it back, if only for the sentimental value attached to the precise pen that was sent in for a new cap (only). Just something I would make clear at the outset of the transaction.

~ Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

dfo (December 28th, 2017)

Thanks

Here's another option: Buy another identical pen, used is fine as it will be the "repair" pen. Send the repair pen in for repair (without a cap), take the cap it comes back with for your pen, then put the repair pen's original cap back on and sell the donor pen.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

SIR (January 1st, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Yeah, I (sort of) knew that. But especially in light of it being relatively new, I would hope they wouldn't just plop an entirely new pen in a box and send it back, if only for the sentimental value attached to the precise pen that was sent in for a new cap (only). Just something I would make clear at the outset of the transaction.
    On the other hand, it's so new that no-one will be able to tell the difference if a completely brand new one is sent back.

Thanks

On the other hand, it's so new that no-one will be able to tell the difference if a completely brand new one is sent back.
    Oh, you are probably right on that. But being that there is emotional stuff tied up in the pen (the provenance), it would be awfully nice to not even think if the original had been replaced by something else. I mean, I'm not working in the realm of the pragmatic and rational, but of the heart.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,436 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Here's another option: Buy another identical pen, used is fine as it will be the "repair" pen. Send the repair pen in for repair (without a cap), take the cap it comes back with for your pen, then put the repair pen's original cap back on and sell the donor pen.
    Or just buy another platinum 146 with a different nib, and swap the cap to whichever pen is inked. (I have two very nice Conklin 4NL crescent-fillers, but only one cap between them pending my tedious search!)
    Last edited by FredRydr; December 28th, 2017 at 06:03 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (December 28th, 2017)

Thanks

If you tell Montblanc that the pen is sentimental, they won't just replace the pen.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 28th, 2017)

Thanks

I'm sentimental about some of my pens too, but not to the point where I wouldn't send one to Montblanc for 7 months if it needed a new cap.

Whatever sentimental value a pen has, or had, once you've "left it on your desk and someone has stolen the cap" then you now only have half of a once sentimental pen left. And to be absolutely painfully honest, it wasn't sentimental enough to not be left on a desk unattended where it or it's cap could be stolen was it?

No-one could ever steal a cap off of any of my Montblanc pens because I never leave them anywhere. In fact most of them have never been taken out of the house.

I expect that Montblanc will just add a new cap to the original pen without much hassle. It must be the current model after all. Then they will be able to charge the level 2 service charge.

Here is a post from FPN that the OP ought to read
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 28th, 2017 at 11:32 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (December 30th, 2017)