Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Be honest, what is the real reason?

Thanks

Default Re: Be honest, what is the real reason?

Just for laughs... I invite you to go and take a look at the pic of a Waterman 20 against the itsy bitsy teeny weeny doll pen, at Gopens - https://gopens.com/Pen-Blog/waterman-doll-pen/

Thanks

It seems odd to me that so many people are questioning the trend towards larger pens. I thought that it was a given that tastes are currently for larger pens. I know when I try to sell a more traditionally standard size pen I get told from a lot of potential buyers that they prefer larger pens. I don't know if I've ever been told by a potential buyer that a pen is too large. Obviously this isn't scientific but I do feel that the trend is for larger pens. I see a similar trend with watch collectors. A lot of oversized watches being moved over on watchuseek. Of course, I'm sure that there are still a lot more smaller pens being made an sold, but isn't this due to the fact that they are cheaper? If a Pelikan M1000 and an M400 were the same price I wonder what the numbers would look like?
    Last edited by heraclitus682; January 2nd, 2018 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Really screwed up the first time

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heraclitus682 For This Useful Post:

catbert (January 3rd, 2018), Hawk (January 2nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heraclitus682 View Post
    It seems odd to me that so many people are questioning the trend towards larger pens. I thought that it was a given that tastes are currently for larger pens. I know when I try to sell a more traditionally standard size pen I get told from a lot of potential buyers that they prefer larger pens. I don't know if I've ever been told by a potential buyer that a pen is too large. Obviously this isn't scientific but I do feel that the trend is for larger pens. I see a similar trend with watch collectors. A lot of oversized watches being moved over on watchuseek. Of course, I'm sure that there are still a lot more smaller pens being made an sold, but isn't this due to the fact that they are cheaper? If a Pelikan M1000 and an M400 were the same price I wonder what the numbers would look like?
    Actually the reality is that the Pelikan 200 and 400 are the same size and the original 600 was also that size. Pelikan survives on its smaller pens. So does Montblanc, and Pilot, and Sailor, and Cross, and Platinum, and almost every other maker. You can get your answer regarding big and small pens at the same prices by looking at the Chinese and Indian markets. There is a minor difference in price between the big pen and the smaller pens. There are also the examples of high priced smaller and slimmer pens to examine; even in Montblanc most of the higher priced Writers Edition are the 146 size not the 149 size. There are the two larger size Montblanc Writers Edition pens, the Hemingway and Dumas that were based on the 139 but the rest are 146 size.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 3rd, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Actually the reality is that the Pelikan 200 and 400 are the same size and the original 600 was also that size. Pelikan survives on its smaller pens. So does Montblanc, and Pilot, and Sailor, and Cross, and Platinum, and almost every other maker. You can get your answer regarding big and small pens at the same prices by looking at the Chinese and Indian markets. There is a minor difference in price between the big pen and the smaller pens. There are also the examples of high priced smaller and slimmer pens to examine; even in Montblanc most of the higher priced Writers Edition are the 146 size not the 149 size. There are the two larger size Montblanc Writers Edition pens, the Hemingway and Dumas that were based on the 139 but the rest are 146 size.
    Yes, it is my assumption that some (remember everyone, I wrote some) people that prefer larger pens prefer larger pens because they are more exclusive. Now, most people won't come out and honestly say that they like having the biggest, flashiest, most expensive item, but I think a lot of people do. I went through that stage until I realized that big pens are uncomfortable for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    ... but the M1000, Danitrio, Delta OS pens are just silly to me. At some point the thing just looks like a flashlight with a quitar pick taped to it.
    haha

well-put

but they do show a lot of beautiful material

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    At some point the thing just looks like a flashlight with a quitar pick taped to it.
    That's the instrument everyone stops learning when they get to barre chords, right?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 10,507 Times in 4,016 Posts

I remember going to my local auction house and finally seeing a pen that I had never seen, but had always wanted to see in real life. That pen was the Waterman Edson. I was really disappointed that it seemed to look so over large and bulky compared with the flowing lines of the cap and section that I had always liked so much in pictures. In fact the barrel seemed to almost bulge out in the centre in a most unattractive way. It was enough to put me off the Edson forever, as it's far too big a pen for my hand.

The one other pen I never thought I would like because it is just too small is the Montblanc Mozart. Firstly because it's a "cartridge only" pen, and secondly because you apparently have to post the cap in order to be able to write with it. I'm not a fan of posting any caps, and find that of those that I have to post, like my Montblanc Boheme and my Kaweco Sports, I just don't like having a cap on the end of a pen when I'm writing with it. The Boheme annoys me even more because the clip is now not perfectly in line with the nib when the cap is screwed on. That offends me and annoys the heck out of me whenever I write with it.

Recently, I saw that the Mozart might be discontinued. I don't know if this is even true, because I didn't hear it from Montblanc. Irrationally though, I thought I should have bought one as it would be the perfect sized pen for sticking in my bag, and not worrying too much about taking out. Of course, I found when I looked at the prices of these very small pens that they have suddenly hiked up in price on the second hand market, so I will never buy one anyway. I do feel strange pangs of regret that I never had one though. It's totally weird!
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 3rd, 2018 at 04:01 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,827 Times in 1,162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Yes, it is my assumption that some (remember everyone, I wrote some) people that prefer larger pens prefer larger pens because they are more exclusive. Now, most people won't come out and honestly say that they like having the biggest, flashiest, most expensive item, but I think a lot of people do. I went through that stage until I realized that big pens are uncomfortable for me.
    Speaking of biggest, flashiest, most expensive, Brian Goulet offered this assessment in Goulet Q&A 193:

‘The US market, it’s all like ‘give me the shiniest, flashiest, biggest, heaviest thing that you can’.

Anecdotal, of course, but conceivably backed by observation of sales.

The remark was part of a somewhat rambling answer to a question about mail-in registration/warranty cards. The quoted part starts around the 27:30 mark.

Link (audio only): https://youtu.be/kLur1UA3Bro?t=1649

Thanks
    Thanked 6,443 Times in 2,523 Posts

A big (pun intended) letdown was the new Wahl Eversharp decoband fountain pen. Syd Saperstein selected the best quality of everything: the woodgrain ebonite, the gold accoutrement, the fantastic gold nib and the craftsmanship made for an all-'round great pen to own and use, except for one thing. It is just massive; it is too big. If you haven't held one, imagine the vintage woodgrain decoband pen on steroids. I suspect with all that goodness, the temptation to make the new version extra-good in terms of size was just too much to resist. The new range has been expanded to other materials and colors, all of which are impressive, but suffer from the same fate: way too big.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

dfo (January 3rd, 2018), Hawk (January 3rd, 2018), inklord (January 3rd, 2018), Jon Szanto (January 3rd, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    A big (pun intended) letdown was the new Wahl Eversharp decoband fountain pen. Syd Saperstein selected the best quality of everything: the woodgrain ebonite, the gold accoutrement, the fantastic gold nib and the craftsmanship made for an all-'round great pen to own and use, except for one thing. It is just massive; it is too big. If you haven't held one, imagine the vintage woodgrain decoband pen on steroids. I suspect with all that goodness, the temptation to make the new version extra-good in terms of size was just too much to resist. The new range has been expanded to other materials and colors, all of which are impressive, but suffer from the same fate: way too big.
    I had the same reaction. It looks lovely in pictures, but it’s just plain huge, uncomfortably so.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

Several years ago I bought a Laban Mento because I liked the colours of the acrylic (not the best reason to select a pen!). It was only when it arrived that I realised how big it was. Neither my husband nor I could make any use of it. As it was so large and colourful it was christened "The Clown Pen." I persevered for a while then offloaded it.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

When I shoose a pen I go for the erogonomic shapes and how it fits in the hand to write without loosing my comfortebility to write with my flow.
    I have recently started to improve my writing and I find out you have to have a specific pen and a nib to go with that to write in specific style. So the size ( The weight ) matters and I know sometimes for some people it does not seems to have any difficult to write how they want. So If someone wants to show off with the pens he/she has and if he /she dose't bother about how his/her writing looks like., it is up to them.
    This is my own personal thought and I don't over look any of the original question. I have some hefty pens and I got them becouse they look nice but they are for me hopeless pens. I have a Mont blanc 146/ 149 and a Fibercastle emotion and some few Very oversised Indian 3 pens Gama oversise. for me oversize pens are Oversised...( Base ball bat pens )

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

"The Tale of An Old Big Pen"

I just got this pen last week for almost nothing.
    An old, worn out big Keene with no nib.
    5-1/4 inches capped and a large, comfortable barrel.

But the gorgeous pattern, the warm color, and rustic charm won me over.
    At least the lever is strong and good.

Enter a loose section with a big and flexible Diamond Point no.8, sitting in my nib collection.
    On a hunch I put the section in the barrel.
    Voila! A snug fit!

One #20 ink sac later, I have a nice pen.
    That is as big as I needed it to be.

Now I just have to find a clip for it.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Deb (January 4th, 2018), Hawk (January 6th, 2018), Jon Szanto (January 3rd, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (January 9th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Oh, Will, that is a handsome pen! That nib is perfect and gorgeous, never have seen a DP that big. However, 7 demerits for not lining up the breather hole with the lever!

Also, I think it is fine without a clip (unless there are holes in the cap from a previous clip we don't see...)
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

penwash (January 4th, 2018)

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

Before I dove into the hobby, I was staying in a town in Germany. There were at least five small (writing stores) Schreibwarenladen in this town. They mostly carried stationary, pencils, Lamy pens, and some other offerings. One day, a shop owner let me try out the most expensive pen in his shop: a Pelikan M300.

I was in awe. It was dainty, yet I found it comfortable while posted. The most expensive pen in the store was also the smallest.

Years later, I acquired a Pelikan M805, but I still yearn for the M300.
    Last edited by dfo; January 3rd, 2018 at 09:53 PM.
    "Love is the final fight."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dfo For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 3rd, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I bought one and my wife has one. They are fabulous, beautiful etc. To write with, very marginal due to the size being massive. I have inked it up and used it several times. To me it is a ‘want to have pen’, not a user. Will it appreciate in value? I didn’t buy it for that. It was, I guess, the bling factor and the beauty of it,but I don’t regret the purchase. I wish I could afford the set.
    Material things, in general, are a want item and not a need item. With that said, the attrbutes that make it more noticable will satisfy the personal need. As I tried to say before, to a certain extent, size, weight, balance etc. are inportant as a writer, each person varying to their needs and wants.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

Beautiful material in that Keene, Will.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 4th, 2018), penwash (January 4th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,443 Times in 2,523 Posts

Then there was my giant limited edition Conway-Stewart sterling overlay by Henry Simpole, another example of lovely design ruined by excess size. The added length and girth required more heavy overlay, the end result reminding me of those weights that slide onto baseball bats for batting practice. The pretty pen was a kind gift that was much appreciated, so I cannot fault my ownership of it. Alas, on inking it, I discovered it was a ridiculous thing, the irony being that Simpole insists his creations are designed for regular use and not just collector's items. I wonder if he ever made them that big since.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Oh, Will, that is a handsome pen! That nib is perfect and gorgeous, never have seen a DP that big. However, 7 demerits for not lining up the breather hole with the lever!

Also, I think it is fine without a clip (unless there are holes in the cap from a previous clip we don't see...)
    7 demerits! Ouch!
    That lever is cool too, it says Keene on it instead of the generic "Made in USA".

When I took that photo, I wasn't thinking about the alignments yet because I'm still testing the pen for a few days. I will take care of the alignment when I'm done.

The cap has two holes, which means I can't just use a generic Z-clip. I have to do something creative, maybe a cool little roll-stop.
    - Will

27. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Beautiful material in that Keene, Will.
    I am a sucker for woodgrain ebonite, Deb. I like to show it to people (non-fountain pen people) and invariably they will ask me "what kind of wood is that, it's cool"
    - Will