Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Be honest, what is the real reason?

Thanks

Default Re: Be honest, what is the real reason?

It's not so much the length but the diameter that is the issue for me. My wife bought me a Cross Medalist many years ago but the diameter makes my hand ache. The Stipula Passporto she also bought is small (very small) by comparison but I can write all day with it.

My favorite pen at present is an old style Pelikan M600.....not too big and not too small.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ian1964 For This Useful Post:

inklord (January 7th, 2018), RNHC (February 2nd, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ian1964 View Post
    It's not so much the length but the diameter that is the issue for me. My wife bought me a Cross Medalist many years ago but the diameter makes my hand ache. The Stipula Passporto she also bought is small (very small) by comparison but I can write all day with it.

My favorite pen at present is an old style Pelikan M600.....not too big and not too small.
    Similar for me as well. We all hold pens differently. Everyone has slightly different hands and fingers. We don't all hold a pen exactly the same way, and we all apply different pressure to the fingertips and section when we grip the pen. I grip a pen with more force and write with higher pressure than most. I do like pens with larger diameter sections, but there is certainly a limit. The Visconti HS is near perfection for me. In effect the larger surface area on which to grip the pen allows my fingers to spread out the force over a larger area and it is simply more comfortable. If the section is too small then the pressure on my fingertips increases and my hand fatigues faster. It makes for a less pleasant writing experience, even if the pen has a glorious nib. If I go too much larger with the section I think it would affect my ability to actually control the nib of the pen. At the same time I know there are people out there with larger hands who use similarly high pressure to grip the pen, so I can see where gigantic pens have a reason to exist. I don't like long pens. I bought a Visconti Opera Master and sold it within a couple weeks because it was too long and there was too much weight too far away from the nib.
    Last edited by Scooby921; January 9th, 2018 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,489 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    ... also, our hands have grown bigger since 1900; as mentioned above, I have average to small hands, though very much used to hard, physical labor; I happen to own a few vintage, pre-WWII hunting knives. Their hilts are ridiculously short even for my hands. And many a knifemaker reproducing classic designs had to increase the length of the hilts of their recreations compared to the originals to keep the pinky of us moderners on the grip.
    I will not admit to my age.

My hands are little. But they are most comfortable with lightweight pens of similar girth to the Sailor Progear, 1911 L, or even Hero 616.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

The antique dip pens that have the mother of pearl handle are so skinny they give me hand cramps if I try to use the three-finger grip. If I want to use one of those, I have to hold it between forefinger and thumb. It works for me that way. I have to change off with that grip sometimes when I write with one of the Sheaffer Snorkels or other thin pens for a long time.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

Thanks

OK, so I do own oversized pens. I DO find them comfortable, in fact I find them much better for long writing sessions than small pens.
    If you are a vintage lover and have grown up with those pens, then the new large pens do look and feel HUGE.
    I personally really wanted an old Esterbrook J, when I tried my friends, it was like writing with a toothpick for me (too thin, too short)... I hated it and never looked back.

I do own standard sized pens, pocket pens, oversized pens, etc... and love them all. But if I'm going to write a letter to my mom or dad, I'll choose my Pilot Custom Urushi!
    The size, weight (not heavy) and balance of the pen; the wonderful bouncy nib; the way it sits in my hand... I love it.
    For example at work:
    Mon - Holiday
    Tues - Sailor Profit Large
    Wed - Franklin Christoph 1901
    Thurs - Montblanc Rouge et Noire (the original Boheme)
    Fri - Usually Pilot Custom Urushi or Wahl Eversharp Decoband (modern)... because Friday!

Why do I only have to like one size or type? I like them all for different reasons.
    I like my Decimo for note taking, but not for writing a letter.
    I like my Pilot Custom Urushi for letters, but not note taking.

Also, when we talk about large pens, the 146 is a large pen by comparison to others!
    Granted, it's not oversize, but it is still quite a big pen.

To me it comes down to the grip section, is that comfortable?
    I like oversized pens, but the Dolce Vita OS grip IS too big and uncomfortable to me.
    Also, the nib is important, an OS pen with a bad nib is pointless (see my sig.).
    I love my Mabie Todd; long, thin, amazing nib.
    I love my Pilot Custom Urushi; big, fat, amazing nib.

You can't tell someone that their personal taste is wrong... it is their PERSONAL taste

Edit: I'm sure if I tried the Esterbrook again, I might like it... too late now though.
    Last edited by Sammyo; January 10th, 2018 at 09:08 PM.
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammyo For This Useful Post:

jar (January 11th, 2018)

Thanks

Think of it this way.... if Pelikan (for example) was selling so many M1000's why are they only producing it in basically two finishes? Very rarely do you see SE/LE pens in that size. But they will sell you a Black or a Green Stripe all day long. M800 is getting some SE (burnt orange, ocean swirl) so the sales numbers have to be there to justify it. The smaller pens are getting all the new and/or special editions. Why do you think that is? Because sales can support putting together these additional/special models.

I haven't held a M800 or M1000, but I know they are too heavy for me. I prefer my pens less than or equal to 30 grams. And the pens I have at that weight point are getting less use than the lighter ones.
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks

With apologies to Groucho Marx, sometimes a fountain pen is just a fountain pen.

But seriously folks, I'm guilty of being seduced by oversize pens--in my collection are a Danitrio Genkai, a Namiki No. 50 vermilion, a Montblanc Heritage 1914, a couple of Platinum Izumos, a Decoband, a Pelikan M1000 and M1050, and an ASC Arco. These giants make my MB 149s look midsize. But I don't ordinarily carry them around or write much with them--I bought them because they are beautiful to look at and to handle. For writing, I'm much more comfortable with with my Pelikan M600s or 400NNs, and my Montblanc 146s, 344, and other vintage examples. I bought a Pelikan M320 in orange because of the color, and was surprised to find how nice it was in the hand. One of my most attractive pens is an M450 Vermeil Green Tortoise. So there you are.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Runnin_Ute;229476]Think of it this way.... if Pelikan (for example) was selling so many M1000's why are they only producing it in basically two finishes? Very rarely do you see SE/LE pens in that size. But they will sell you a Black or a Green Stripe all day long. M800 is getting some SE (burnt orange, ocean swirl) so the sales numbers have to be there to justify it. The smaller pens are getting all the new and/or special editions. Why do you think that is? Because sales can support putting together these additional/special models.

Pelikan M1000 size has more than two basic finishes. There are both SE/LE models available; not as many choices as the M800/805 Series. The 1000 most likely sell fewer pens than the smaller series therefore, they would limit the choices available. I will not quantify them since one can find them on the internet. Yes, some are very expensive but are very nice if one can afford them.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

Never really cared what size a pen is. I have small pens and a few oversized ones. I just buy what catches my eye.

David

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy Fry For This Useful Post:

Hawk (January 22nd, 2018)

Thanks

I don't like them at all. Only oversize I have is a Jinhao 159. It gets quite tiring to use after a while. My hands are not big and the weight is an issue.

Thanks

Well, consider the Pilot Custom 845, which is about a Montblanc 149 sized pen. I find it on the outer edge of useful largeness. Now, the latest Custom Urushi model is even larger than the 845 and sports a massive size 30 nib. Why would Pilot make the pen even larger like this, if there wasn't some marketing evidence of a larger pen being more desirable?

But for the "real user" fountain pen community, I don't see any anecdotal evidence of there being a gravitation towards pens being very large. They're simply not as user-friendly for most people.

Thanks

As an elegant man I like discrete fountain pens.

For example, the only Montblanc I would consider buying is the retractable Bohème:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,438 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marcelomelgaco View Post
    As an elegant man I like discrete fountain pens. For example, the only Montblanc I would consider buying is the retractable Bohème....
    Okay, but take the photo from the other end, and what does the world see?

Thanks

I went through many pens of varying size, thickness, and weight to learn which size pens were most comfortable to me. Oversized, heavy pens aren't comfortable for me to hold so I don't even consider them at all.

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

As a person with social anxiety, I prefer fountain pens masquerading as ballpoints. I do like large pens, but they stay at home.

I prefer pens that I can readjust my grip without having threads get in the way. The shape of the Lamy 2k allows me a variety of different diameter grip points—especially when posted.

IMG_0659.JPG
    "Love is the final fight."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myu View Post
    Why would Pilot make the pen even larger like this?
    Some of us are more accustomed than others to holding larger objects?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by myu View Post
    Why would Pilot make the pen even larger like this?
    Some of us are more accustomed than others to holding larger objects?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (February 4th, 2018), RNHC (February 5th, 2018)