Thread: Grail inks

Thanks

Default Grail inks

Certain inks seem to have achieved "grail" status, such as Parker Penman Saphire. Why do you think the companies don't step up and offer these inks again? It would seem to be a smart business decision...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stevekolt For This Useful Post:

KKay (January 5th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,500 Times in 4,015 Posts

Default Re: Grail inks

Parker don't offer any Penman inks anymore as they caused problems in their and other manufacturers' pens. However some manufacturer's have their own copy of "grail inks" like Parker Penman Sapphire.

As time passes, ink components move on and some that are no longer available have to be replaced. So old "grail inks" can't be reproduced, they can only be copied.

Thanks

Hakase Real Sepia (Dark) is my grail ink. But to little old me, £1+/ml seems steep.

Thanks

... my grail ink is always the next truly wondrous concoction someone comes up with. I'm looking forward to the R&K SketchInk series...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

inklord (January 2nd, 2018), Marsilius (January 3rd, 2018)

Thanks

Nice handwriting EOC... i'm thinking though maybe Sailor could surprise us by rereleasing the same or very similar ink under another name like Apricot and Kin-Mokusei?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

inklord (January 2nd, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    ... did you check Kobe inks? Like Kobe Brick Red? I don't really know how close they are, because I don't have any of the SRB, but the Kobe Brick Red is my go-to ink for a reddish brown in the Sailor line of inks...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Nice handwriting EOC... i'm thinking though maybe Sailor could surprise us by rereleasing the same or very similar ink under another name like Apricot and Kin-Mokusei?

Sailor did re-release Apricot. Now sure how readily available it is in GB, but Anderson Pens has it in stock in the USA. They also re-released Epinard and Grenade.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,500 Times in 4,015 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post

Sailor did re-release Apricot. Now sure how readily available it is in GB, but Anderson Pens has it in stock in the USA. They also re-released Epinard and Grenade.
    Sailor's re-release of Apricot was for the US only.

Apricot and Kin Mokusei in their current formulations are identical enough as to make absolutely no difference anyway. So you may as well just buy the cheapest version you can get. I've also found the current versions of Souten and Sky High, and Epinard and Tokiwa matsu to be as identical as makes no difference. I don't have Oku yama because I have Grenade, so I can't comment on those two.

Manufacturers aren't stupid. They know that when people want a particular ink, how much it pays for them to re-release it.

Parker just can't do it with Penman inks though. The original components aren't available.

Montblanc have their inks made for them and yet they haven't felt the need to request the re-issue of Racing Green or Hitchcock. This seems a bit short-sighted on their part.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 3rd, 2018 at 02:51 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (January 3rd, 2018)

Thanks

I guess my grail inks are those ones of which I have a bottle but no replacement in sight. Rikyu-cha returned, so good there. Love Ancient Copper so good there. Daniel Defoe is becoming a grail ink with each fill from the bottle. Never had Jonathan Swift so that would be a grail ink for me. But the true grail ink is that perfect mix of two colors than have never been made yet and that flows like manna from the bottle. I dream of a perfect mix of blue and green to look like the Atlantic Ocean, one that changes colors like the ocean does from the changes in the sky. Or a peacock teal or hummingbird that changes color as you look at it. I guess I want the perfect flowing ink that changes to whatever color you wish to see or feel: Sailor Jentle Mood Ring?
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Old formula Sailor Red Brown. What an ink. I would buy in 350ml bottles if I could.

The fact that there is only one ink on my list now just reflects that I am increasingly ink weary.

I could easily see myself going back to having a dozen inks or less.

My 2 favorite ink manufacturers both raised prices this year to boot.

Still pen crazy, but the ink explosion (Robert Oster has 37 new teal inks just this week i think), the over the top sparkles, the shrinking bottles, no thanks. I give up.

My last dozen inkings were all Sailor or Pilot Blue Black, Lamy Black and KWZ (I remain interested in them) Thief's Red (grading/markup).

I have about a dozen inks I just want to give away.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

BayesianPrior (January 4th, 2018), Marsilius (January 3rd, 2018), SIR (January 4th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 6,440 Times in 2,523 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stevekolt View Post
    Certain inks seem to have achieved "grail" status, such as Parker Penman Saphire. Why do you think the companies don't step up and offer these inks again? It would seem to be a smart business decision...
    Perhaps to maintain exclusivity for future reissue. On the other hand, what our tiny group calls "grail" isn't necessarily synonymous with "profitable."