Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a goal pen in 2018?

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Default Re: Do you have a goal pen in 2018?

1930s Parker Golden Arrow.

Thanks

I said no but this month I bought 8 pens and I found another list in a wishlist and in a basket of my famous online shopping store. Did I do this while I was doing sleep-walking ?? I used to do it sometimes I confess!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I'm currently contemplating picking up a vintage pen with certain criteria. Not looking for an elusive pen -- likely I will end up seeking a rather common model, in fact.

The challenge, being new to this hobby, lies in determining which pens are a match for my criteria of reliability, nib flexibility, affordability, diy fixability, and so on.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    The challenge, being new to this hobby, lies in determining which pens are a match for my criteria of reliability, nib flexibility, affordability, diy fixability, and so on.
    I have created a collection of vintage pen + writing sample on my instagram account. More than 200 of them. I've been told by enough people who faces the same challenge you described above that perusing this collection is useful for them to get to know the world of vintage pens. Just don't mind the sloppy sketches
    Last edited by penwash; April 2nd, 2018 at 09:21 PM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 3rd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

I have two goals this year: first, to finally sell off a number of pens that are not in play any more, were early purchases, or just pens that have become extras. Beyond that, I hope to have my first (and possibly only) custom pen done before the year is out. I honestly feel like I'm winding down.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Care to share a little teaser detail about the custom pen, Mr Szanto?

No real goals this year, pen-wise. There's an inbound 52 1/2v that may or may not be a noodle nib. If it is, great. If not, then away it goes.

I also have a custom pen in production - model is based loosely on the KoP and the material is CS Dartmoor (as at least in my case the material has some significance beyond being merely 'pretty')

Then, as I have just been told my exhaust heat sensor has gone on the car and will cost over $500 to fix... other things are going to have to get sold. There'll be a Waterman and a Sheaffer fantasy Legacy in that batch for sure.

Overall life is just too volatile to make too many plans for this year, at least not without a lot of contingency planning.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Care to share a little teaser detail about the custom pen, Mr Szanto?
    About the pen, no. However, this last week I landed a buy for what I believe is the nib/feed (and possibly section?) I'll use in it by getting an old HR Sheaffer that was broken and beat up except for what looked like a good condition nib. It is, thank goodness, but it was a calculated gamble at only $20.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Nice choice! I was going to cannibalize my Parker duofold (big red) nib to go in a custom pen but cannot bring myself to destroy a perfectly good pen. So, it's bog standard jowo for me (not having any other sources to draw on as it is).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,176 Times in 698 Posts

Well, that is the question - do I have a goal pen for 2018???

I have been reading a lot about the new Pineider La Grande Bellezza in Rodalite Red or Lapis Blue, but I am not sure if I want to spend that much right now. I have also been thinking seriously about another Franklin Christoph with one of Mike's nibs and a music nib. But at the very least I will probably buy another Lamy Aion and probably another Lamy Studio with 14K nib and possibly another Lamy 2000.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    I have been reading a lot about the new Pineider La Grande Bellezza in Rodalite Red or Lapis Blue, but I am not sure if I want to spend that much right now. I have also been thinking seriously about another Franklin Christoph with one of Mike's nibs and a music nib. But at the very least I will probably buy another Lamy Aion and probably another Lamy Studio with 14K nib and possibly another Lamy 2000.
    Doctor, we seriously need to work on your sense of adventure.

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (April 3rd, 2018), lsmith42 (April 3rd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Do you have a goal pen in 2018?
    Yes, Jon Szanto's brown Optima 365. Cheap.
    Last edited by FredRydr; April 4th, 2018 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Do you have a goal pen in 2018?
    Yes, Jon Szanto's brown Optima 365. Cheap.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I have a goal project: to make my handful of Lady Elsa’s write as beautifully as they look, which involves replacing their nibs and ripping out their feeds. It may be slightly cheaper than therapy.

Thanks

My goal pen for 2018 is another Conid pen. The original clear flattop demonstrator is what I have my eyes on. Too bad their prices went up a little. Just means I have to save more $$$$.

Dave

Thanks

I only started using fountain pens again this year, but already my 2018 goal is to stop buying them. By the end of the year, I aim to have settled down with three pens that I really like. One fine nib, one medium, and one italic. If there's a few others lurking in a drawer as spares, loaners and potential gifts, I don't mind. I also want to have an established range of inks that I really like.

In effect, 2018 will be my exploration of kit, so that I can then just settle down and enjoy using them. That's where the real enjoyment is for me. I'm not a shopper, a collector, or a hoarder. I just like using the same few things time and time again over many years, be it mugs, hats, pocket knives, lighters, pipes, saucepans, or pens.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

hansdown (April 13th, 2018), Kaputnik (April 13th, 2018)

Thanks

What Cyril said.

Thanks

Yes, I now understand I have one goal.I bought a few Pen cases to put my Fps in them, clean and wash.
    And then buy some good paper and a good overall Calligraphy ink. Prepare some nibs and start using the Dip pens until my writing get fine tune to a better level.

By the way, I am well equipped for dip pens as I bought several Dip pen holders and a Bunch of Vintage nibs on E-Bay.
    I'm more focus in calligraphy and then I am going to manifest my writing skills using FP in a different level. I am setting my goal now-a-days.
    Last edited by Cyril; April 20th, 2018 at 07:14 AM.

Thanks

What wuddus said. I think I've reached my pen goal which was to have a super smooth ridiculously fine nib,. I've just received a custom grind which I think fits the bill so far

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wuddus View Post
    I only started using fountain pens again this year, but already my 2018 goal is to stop buying them. By the end of the year, I aim to have settled down with three pens that I really like. One fine nib, one medium, and one italic. If there's a few others lurking in a drawer as spares, loaners and potential gifts, I don't mind. I also want to have an established range of inks that I really like.

In effect, 2018 will be my exploration of kit, so that I can then just settle down and enjoy using them. That's where the real enjoyment is for me. I'm not a shopper, a collector, or a hoarder. I just like using the same few things time and time again over many years, be it mugs, hats, pocket knives, lighters, pipes, saucepans, or pens.
    Well, we've just crossed into May, and I think I'm almost there already with the three pens. My pen goals have changed a little from when I wrote the above post though, and I will be expanding on that in a separate thread when I finally cross the finish line, which should hopefully be in the next few weeks.

Suffice to say that of my ideal three, I have one already, number two just needs another nib which is on the way, and I had a very near miss with number three. I got one that very nearly ticked all the boxes for the third slot, but not quite, so I'm trying something else instead. I ended up with a few more pens than I hoped for along the way, but they were all part of the necessary learning curve to end up where I wanted to be.

Inks are still work in progress, but I hope to have that nailed too by the end of the month.

Details to follow when the postie's been.

Thanks

The day that one pen - or three pens, etc - can do everything I want to do with a pen, I'll pare down to that amount. Until then (an event that won't ever happen) I'll never allow my creative urges to be subservient to a minimalist folly.

I never plan on eating just one food, either. Life is a banquet.

~ Benjamin Franklin