Thread: Vintage "Mallat Windsor"-- cartridge filler?

Thanks

Default Vintage "Mallat Windsor"-- cartridge filler?

Hello!

I bought this pen for very cheap off an ebay seller who knows nothing about pens--figured it's pretty enough to spend a couple quid on and try to work with. The nib is actually quite nice, so I'd love to use it, but I have no idea what in the world to use it with.

All it says on it are "Windsor, Mallat Paris" (engraved) and "Mallat Metal Cart, FRS 12.65" (painted on). The seller did send it with a metal tube of some sort and an empty(ish) cartridge, but I have absolutely no idea how either of these is meant to fit on the pen: if I stick the metal piece down the barrel, it actually impedes the section screwing back on. I have no idea how the cartridge would fit, either, at it doesn't actually look suitable for size, though I may just be being foolish here and missing something silly, as I usually use pens with converters or ink sacs.

Any ideas on what I can do to make this pen usable? The section bit is patent--I used a syringe to drop water on the tiny receiving end, and it did run down through.

IMG_20180104_131157356_1920x1080.jpgIMG_20180104_131436618_1920x1080.jpg

Thanks for reading!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Vintage "Mallat Windsor"-- cartridge filler?

Likely a proprietary cartridge. The one you show looks like the early Wearever/Eversharp cartridges. More pictures of the metal part might help.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

You could buy an ink sac, cut it short and just shellac it at the end of the section and use it as a bulb filler.
    Even better if you could fit a small plastic tube that can act as a breather tube, that way you could fill more ink into the sac.

Just keep the cartridge as parts, sooner or later you will come across a pen that could use it.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

I haven't come across this pen before, but I seem to remember seeing a Waterman / JIF pen which had a little metal piece like that along with a glass cartridge in its presentation box. The metal in that case is to protect the cartridge from being inadvertently smashed, I think - it doesn't fit in the pen. The date would be probably the same as or a little earlier than your Mallat.

It's a nice pen; there were quite a lot of those swirly patterned pens about at the time (late 50s I think) - Bayard 'Karting' and Soma are ones that I've seen quite often, as well as no-names. Yours looks a little thicker than most of them and probably a lot more comfortable to use.