Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fountain pen blues

Thanks

Default Re: Fountain pen blues

An update. I got the section out of the VS and I am currently looking for a blue replacement section. As you can imagine it is difficult to find one. I heated up the Parker junior enough to get the lock down out but apparently the combination of me heating up the barrel and squeezing it to twist it out caused the barrel to deform where I was gripping it. After getting the lock down out, I tried heating up the barrel again to get the shape back. This worked on one side but not the other. I have given up on this pen and think I am going to just try selling the cap, filler, feed, and blind cap as parts, unless someone knows of a source for a new barrel.

Still searching for a red/Maroon barrel for the Skyline. I have not found any sources other than Ebay, but I have not come across any part pens yet. I would appreciate any ideas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 10,369 Times in 3,979 Posts

Unless you can find any repairers who have the replacement sections you need, then eBay is probably your best bet. I wish you luck though, as finding replacements is not going to be easy. If I think of anything I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Oh......That's really unfortunate. One thing I learned is holding the section fixed and playing around with the barrel. And another thing I learned is staying away from Waterman taperite/commando......., basically anything that's produced during that time.
    Somewhere in the depths of these forums is a thread on Taperites. I think KrazyIvan started it. I contributed. We BOTH had tales of woe, and mine included the pen that I broke in less than 30 seconds after getting it out of the packaging from the eBay seller.
    It was worse for me. I "successfully" took out the section, installed a new sac and put it back one piece. Then I inked the pen and wrote with it. After probably 2 minutes, with bare pressure from my fingers holding the pen, the section cracked on the threads. It was a disaster. I didn't even know if the section was weakened when I took it out, or it was the ink (Quink black) or what, but I know I don't want that ever again.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mmd For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 9th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

There are numerous parts stashes that I know of. Problem is most of the parts stashes are not being sold as parts. Selling parts comes in two flavors:

a) Your part didn't fit my pen.
    b) Your pen didn't fit my part.

Search eBay and pen shows for project pens.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (January 10th, 2018)

Thanks

One of the things you pick up after a while is the *feel* of how sections come out. It's difficult to explain but there's a little moment when things start to move and I now instantly recognise that and keep going while it lasts. Other pens are just stuck stuck, and I don't insist; they go back in the box for the time being. To start with I try very, very small movements, 90% twisting and just a little (very very little) sideways wiggle, just to see if I can get to that point. Once I'm there it is twist and pull all the way - too much wiggle and you have the risk of breaking the barrel. Easier if you put the section pliers away and just concentrate on using your fingers (assisted with latex gloves, which help the grip), then you can really feel your way.

I have some pens that just keep going back in the box. One Bayard, in a particularly lovely celluloid, has been tried 15 times now and I have a slightly less than one millimetre opening between the barrel and section now. I'm hoping it will be quicker next time!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (January 10th, 2018)