Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review of Platinum 3776 Century Fine Fountain Pen

Thanks

Default Review of Platinum 3776 Century Fine Fountain Pen

Hi, I'm finally back in the community guys, I took a break because I started college. And we all know how time consuming college can be. But I am back now for good and I started my youtube channel back up. Check out the Video down below comment like it and subscribe. But more importantly give me all the feedback no matter if its good or bad, because the videos can only get better and better. Lastly I have a few more pens and inks on the way that I will be reviewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRIdPy6x_zM

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavionWest For This Useful Post:

matteob (January 22nd, 2018), Miss Fountain Pen (September 29th, 2023), rosmarinaus (March 30th, 2019)

Thanks

Default Re: Review of Platinum 3776 Century Fine Fountain Pen

Great pens these and nice review. I have exactly the same but medium nib which is still on the fine side. Best vendor for these in Japan is J-Subculture. I think I paid about 75 dollars for mine.

Thanks

I got one as an impulse from AndersonPens in Blue
    I went for the Soft-Fine nib as it seems to provide a new experience for me.

After a few days I can say this pen is above my ability level!
    It needs me to think before each stroke and makes me slow down (maybe not a bad thing)

The nib felt a bit scratchy at the beginning but now it feesl smoother, so I guess it just needs to get used
    I am used to glide over the paper, and this pen requires some presure and clays more/les ink depending on that (flex nib)

The Platinum blue ink that came with the pen is OK, the flow is good but the color is boring
    Last edited by titrisol; July 25th, 2018 at 06:44 AM.
    Unix is user-friendly ; it's just picky about who it's friends are -

Thanks

I bought mine for I think £49 with free shipping. It's a soft fine. I had problems with it to begin with as it was very dry, but after tweaking the nib it writes well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Medieval View Post
    I bought mine for I think £49 with free shipping.
    Where was that from?!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

I love these pens. For my hand, the shape and weight is just right and you have a wide variety of nibs to choose from. Sometimes they need a bit of finessing but once set right, these are writers to have and use for years to come. All of mine are shown below:

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

amk (September 29th, 2023), Deb (October 3rd, 2023), Lady Onogaro (July 20th, 2018), Long Le (July 22nd, 2018), Yazeh (October 7th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Where was that from?!
    Amazon

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medieval For This Useful Post:

SIR (July 19th, 2018), titrisol (July 20th, 2018)

Thanks

Wow! that's a steal!

I got mine (Chartres Blue) for about $150 (L110) and yes the nib feels dry and scratchy but is getting better with use.
    I guess I have to get used to hte nib and the nib has to get used to me

I bought mine for I think £49 with free shipping. It's a soft fine. I had problems with it to begin with as it was very dry, but after tweaking the nib it writes well.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Where was that from?!
    Unix is user-friendly ; it's just picky about who it's friends are -

Thanks

Platinum 3776 Century Fine fountain pen is good quality. The handwriting when writing this pen is very thin and beautiful, but the price is a bit high. mapquest directions

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I see that emmausa the spammer is still around and being reported
    Last edited by Chrissy; October 8th, 2023 at 04:36 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavionWest View Post
    Hi, I'm finally back in the community guys, I took a break because I started college. And we all know how time consuming college can be. But I am back now for good and I started my youtube channel back up. Check out the Video down below comment like it and subscribe. But more importantly give me all the feedback no matter if its good or bad, because the videos can only get better and better. Lastly I have a few more pens and inks on the way that I will be reviewing.

rooftop snipers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRIdPy6x_zM
    This is one of my top pens. Other pens might be more fun, but this one tops the list for reliability and appearance. And for a gold nib, they come in a pretty good cost.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 249 Posts

The main cons of the 3776 models the elements have too thin gold plating, and with everyday using it wears off too quickly (1-1.5 years). I have never had a chrome coating, so I don't know how it behaves. And for my taste, ordinary nibs are too hard and have thin/small tip, so UEF, EF and F nibs also wear out quite quickly. After a year of everyday use, these tip needs in nibmaster correction.
    About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org or watch on social networks
    FB: @ArtDesignPenS
    Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS
    Instagram: @andrew.lensky

Thanks

I have several 3776s. I haven't had any issues with the plating, but the nibs have been hit or miss. My very best one (equipped with a SF nib) has been my workhorse pen for a number of years now, and the nib is one of the very best I own, which is saying something (I have some very nice pens). That's the best one. I have another 3776 SF, and it's okay, but a bit dry. I got another 3776 SF (because I wanted another color), and it was so bad that after trying and failing to fix it (and trying multiple different inks), I ended up literally tossing it into the trash. Ah, but I really wanted that color, and so I bought the same pen again. Well... It was better, but still skippy. Works better on cheap office paper than on high quality paper. Then, I have another one with a regular fine nib, and it's okay if you like nails. Finally, I have a soft medium nib, but unfortunately, the feed has trouble keeping up with the writing. (I also have a Nakaya briarwood with a SM nib, and the feed keeps up just fine, except that this particular Nakaya model dries out very fast, which is annoying. Nakaya nibs are basically Platinum nibs with a different logo, but Nakaya seems to have much better quality control, plus the feed is different.)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Fountain Pen For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (October 6th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_Lensky View Post
    The main cons of the 3776 models the elements have too thin gold plating, and with everyday using it wears off too quickly (1-1.5 years).
    I find this a strange comment, at least compared to my personal experience. I have 8 3776 pens and two Nakayas. One of the 3776 pens has rose gold plating, one is ruthenium plated, and one model is an early one from the 1990s. I have had *zero* problems with any plating loss whatsoever, and the rose gold nib has even been ground to a cursive italic by Mike Masuyama. He cautioned me that RG plating can be problematic, but that was done in 2016 and the pen is still in pristine condition, plating-wise. I have not noticed issues with the trim, either.

ETA: Wow, I didn't realize this was an old thread and I have a post from 5 years ago just a few posts up!
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; October 5th, 2023 at 10:55 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I had 2 my UEF 3776(Blue and Burgundy) and one old Balance (like 3776) and many other people's 3776 pens that were brought to me for service. I don't like nail nibs. Among Platinum nibs, I like only Music nib)).

This is how the UEF tip wears out over a year of use.

This is how the plating is wear (see the clip)

About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org or watch on social networks

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 8th, 2023), Yazeh (October 7th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_Lensky View Post
    I had 2 my UEF 3776(Blue and Burgundy) and one old Balance (like 3776) and many other people's 3776 pens that were brought to me for service. I don't like nail nibs. Among Platinum nibs, I like only Music nib)). This is how the UEF tip wears out over a year of use. This is how the plating is wear (see the clip)
    Thank you for some real world documentation. If nothing else, this shows how differently pens can behave under differing circumstances with differing users. I don't doubt any of the above, just as I also note that nothing like this has happened to my pens.

Is this the worst longevity performance you have experienced, and/or do you have other brand pens that have exhibited similar, if not as dramatic, signs of wear and use?

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

I've had a UEF for well over 5 years and it writes like new; I use a very light hand.

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

Of course I have many own different fountain pens of different brands from vintage to modern, and even more different pens have been serviced from other owners. Any things are not eternal, and it wears out, but I was impressed only by Platinum 3776 from modern famous brands. Also the button in the Pilot Capless wears out quite quickly, the ring rusts in the Montblanc 144 and Pelikan M800, the platinum coating on the gold nibs is quickly scratched and black nib lacquering is not strong, the steel nibs from 70s-90s are subject to corrosion, as well as modern metal elements(clips, rings) made in India, modern Chinese fp's also lose their coating quite quickly, and I still don't like the soft iridium tips on L2K its also worn quickly.

I understand that many users may not notice the wear of the tip, and on the contrary, are surprised by the acquired smoothness over time, but when you make a nib for drawing with the necessary parameters (let's say 0.2 mm lines wide) and after a while you notice that the line has already wider to 0.3 mm (let's say thicker) and if you can to look on the tip under microscope, everything becomes obvious: The thinner and harder nibs are faster wears off - this is the law of physics about friction)). I read on the Internet that Saibi-Togi also wear out quite quickly, but I have never had one.

ps: by the way, out of the 3776 purchased, only one nib wrote flawlessly out from the box, the one which I bought on Rakuten with shipping inside Japan.

pss: let's assume that I was unlucky, and accidents happened with me.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

amk (December 6th, 2023), Deb (October 8th, 2023), Lloyd (October 8th, 2023), Yazeh (October 8th, 2023)

Thanks

This is one of the best posts I've read on this forum. The information in the article helped me understand more about a new topic that I had never known. suika

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

emmausa ^^^^^^ is a well known long term spambot that has already been reported
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 11th, 2024)