Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Dilemma? What to do for the best?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default A Dilemma? What to do for the best?

I have encountered a "troll" on a recent Ink Review thread that I posted in the Ink review forum. This person has been a member for a long time, although it's noticeable that they haven't posted many posts. So, yes they could still be a "sleeping troll." I was trying my best to be polite and answering in an entirely normal way.

Today, a relatively new member has posted a post that thanked me for my reviews. However, despite saying they weren't coming back to the thread, the "troll" has called that member a 'Creep' with a smiley.

As far as I'm concerned, this is absolutely unacceptable. It makes me want to leave this forum for good because I actually don't need to have to deal with 'trolls' like this. I'm happy to live my life without having to do so. On the other hand, I feel really sorry for this relatively new member, who did absolutely nothing wrong, yet found themselves called a 'creep'

What kind of an impression is this "troll" giving to relatively new members who come on here to make reasonable posts rather than to just sell stuff? No wonder this forum is what it has become.

I suppose I could just leave negative feedback on the Reputation Board, but to be honest, this doesn't affect 'trolls' in the slightest. Especially those who stay under their bridges for prolonged periods.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 7th, 2018 at 09:38 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

dfo (January 8th, 2018), welch (January 8th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: A Dilemma? What to do for the best?

Do we need a Troll Hunter?

Remember most of us are adults and so recognize infants when they post. If the infant is somewhat polite we may even ask them to sit at the big people table. That others find your reviews helpful is indicative but self control and manners are sometimes late developing in kids.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 7th, 2018), Dreck (January 8th, 2018), inklord (January 7th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (January 7th, 2018), Woody (February 5th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

Remember most of us are adults and so recognize infants when they post. If the infant is somewhat polite we may even ask them to sit at the big people table. That others find your reviews helpful is indicative but self control and manners are sometimes late developing in kids.
    Maybe we do? I never thought about it.

I know that we have to make allowances for these children. Knowing how to block them helps.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

Maybe we do? I never thought about it.

I know that we have to make allowances for these children. Knowing how to block them helps.
    Yup. That's why God made the kiddie table.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 7th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 840 Posts

He seems to have started out as a normal human being, then the consequences of the dominant troll gene began to show. Poor soul.

We do what we must always do: ignore the troll.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    He seems to have started out as a normal human being, then the consequences of the dominant troll gene began to show. Poor soul.

We do what we must always do: ignore the troll.
    Yes, it might have started out as a normal human being, but turned into a troll. It had a good bridge to sleep under for a long time.

When I go and look at the troll's profile page, I see that it has specifically reserved all of it's posts for my Ink Review thread. So it would seem that it is now definitely announcing the fact that it is a troll, and that I was it's sole victim, until it also attacked the relatively new member who posted on my thread.

Now I'm 100% certain of the fact that it is a troll, I've reported it and can ensure I don't feed it. Not that many trolls have been members since 2010 and have an 8 reputation power.

At least now we know.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 7th, 2018 at 07:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 840 Posts

You certainly don't deserve that for your excellent work. It's very angry-making.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You certainly don't deserve that for your excellent work. It's very angry-making.
    Thank you, but please be careful what you say there. Zippy the troll might target you too.

Thanks

I would wager that there are quite a few members like myself who post rarely but read regularly. I always enjoy your ink reviews and make it a habit to check if you have a review of an ink before I try it. Keep up the good reviews and ignore trolls!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hansdown For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you, but please be careful what you say there. Zippy the troll might target you too.
    Zippy can't be a troll...he's a speed slug!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Follow these steps:

- Click on Settings
    - Choose Edit Ignore List
    - Add name

19. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Chrissy, you have to remember something, and Jar alluded to it: most everyone on the list is aware enough of human behavior to recognize that person (troll) and their comments for what they are - meaningless. I saw that thread as it was happening and it was clear this person was trying to poke you. As hard as it may be (on your part), just let them (the comments) stand and don't even respond. Either that or get into it hammer and tongs (which you won't, it's not like you) and show them their own medicine.

In a perfect world we'd have some light modding to take care of these occasional things. Please take a step back and look at the vast number of posts and large number of readers you have *without* any bother. This is an isolated incident and we all see it for what it is. Don't give that person any credibility or attention.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 10th, 2018), Chrissy (January 7th, 2018), Dreck (January 8th, 2018), welch (January 8th, 2018)

Thanks

Any troll attacking the valuable members of this forum are welcome in my yard: I'll happily let them stand there and perform the Rumpelstilzchen act until they crack and vanish...
    Always appreciate your excellent contributions, gentle demeanor and kindness, Chrissy, so please don't be dismayed - trolls carry their own punishment with them!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Perhaps the troll was participating in the "drink" review forum...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hansdown View Post
    I would wager that there are quite a few members like myself who post rarely but read regularly. I always enjoy your ink reviews and make it a habit to check if you have a review of an ink before I try it. Keep up the good reviews and ignore trolls!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I will do that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Chrissy, you have to remember something, and Jar alluded to it: most everyone on the list is aware enough of human behavior to recognize that person (troll) and their comments for what they are - meaningless. I saw that thread as it was happening and it was clear this person was trying to poke you. As hard as it may be (on your part), just let them (the comments) stand and don't even respond. Either that or get into it hammer and tongs (which you won't, it's not like you) and show them their own medicine.

In a perfect world we'd have some light modding to take care of these occasional things. Please take a step back and look at the vast number of posts and large number of readers you have *without* any bother. This is an isolated incident and we all see it for what it is. Don't give that person any credibility or attention.
    Thanks. I know you're right.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    Any troll attacking the valuable members of this forum are welcome in my yard: I'll happily let them stand there and perform the Rumpelstilzchen act until they crack and vanish...
    Always appreciate your excellent contributions, gentle demeanor and kindness, Chrissy, so please don't be dismayed - trolls carry their own punishment with them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Follow these steps:

- Click on Settings
    - Choose Edit Ignore List
    - Add name
    Thanks. I've used the block button again.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 7th, 2018 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, this is absolutely unacceptable. It makes me want to leave this forum for good because I actually don't need to have to deal with 'trolls' like this. I'm happy to live my life without having to do so. On the other hand, I feel really sorry for this relatively new member, who did absolutely nothing wrong, yet found themselves called a 'creep'

What kind of an impression is this "troll" giving to relatively new members who come on here to make reasonable posts rather than to just sell stuff? No wonder this forum is what it has become.
    Chrissy, I don't think you need more affirmation on how appreciated your contributions here are. But for what it's worth, here's one from me. I am not an ink person. I am happy to just buy a new ink once in a while and my ink hue ranges are pretty dull and limited

But I absolutely love your reviews and I am amazed that your ink reviews are consistent and fair as your other posts are courteous.
    Consistency attracts good people, unfortunately, it also attract petty, envious, immature (as Jar calls them) people with too much time on their hands and wrong perspectives.

They win (and will take down the forum with them) if people who contribute positively finally got fed up and tired and leave.

All I can do is to ask you to not be bothered by trollish actions and truck on.

I like the famous Edmund Burke quote: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing."
    Additionally, evil will also triumph if good people gave up first.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 7th, 2018), Dreck (January 8th, 2018), Hawk (January 7th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (January 8th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

Chrissy, I don't think you need more affirmation on how appreciated your contributions here are. But for what it's worth, here's one from me. I am not an ink person. I am happy to just buy a new ink once in a while and my ink hue ranges are pretty dull and limited

But I absolutely love your reviews and I am amazed that your ink reviews are consistent and fair as your other posts are courteous.
    Consistency attracts good people, unfortunately, it also attract petty, envious, immature (as Jar calls them) people with too much time on their hands and wrong perspectives.

They win (and will take down the forum with them) if people who contribute positively finally got fed up and tired and leave.

All I can do is to ask you to not be bothered by trollish actions and truck on.

I like the famous Edmund Burke quote: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing."
    Additionally, evil will also triumph if good people gave up first.
    Thank you. I love the Edmund Burke quote.

Thanks

Exclamation Re: A Dilemma? What to do for the best?

Hi Chissy,

Firstly, I must reiterate others' praise for your contributions, you are a valued member and would certainly be missed; indeed, i'd go so far as to say the forum wouldn't be the same without you.

However... I am extremely troubled by the deletion of a post which posed the question of whether or not you might be professionally associated with the Diamine company.
    To me, that is FPN behaviour and one of the main reasons I exclusively limit my interest to this site and not that one.