Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Do?

Thanks

Default Re: What Would You Do?

Ok, I had one failed transaction with the seller mentioned here. I wanted to purchase some Senator presidents with gold nibs that he had listed at a good price. I paid and he postponed the shipping and then one fine day I got a full refund, when asked he said that someone looted his car and took away things that included the bag in which my packed parcel was kept to be posted.

Banned
    Thanks

Hello,

I don't know how to start, since the verdict is already given and I am guilty. I have received the info from Suzy,but as I wrote in correspondention with her, all I asked was the question why if sth was wrong she didn't contact me since the nib or the cork seal aren't things which will work out in some time, also you can see it and I wouldn't critize anybody especially if she would do it immediatelly after receiving pen, since I buy pens as well and I want it working if stated so also. I don't want to be rude, but since she didn't wrote nothing in first few days and then point the problem with nib, I can say as well that pen was in good condition, the nib was straight and she broke it, since I haven't received any proof, that this state was just out of the box. I have this policy since once I had received the pen back which was totally broken ( one wing of the nib broken and the piston knob broken from mechanism), after I agreed for return after few days usage.

Others didn't wrote anything that there's sth wrong with their fountain pens, except Taidaina which wrote that the nib was a bit misangled and she will send it for a repair, but she's happy and she didn't heard about this model of MB pen with steel nib, the pen she aquired was tested with magnet since I haven't heard about MB 144 with steel nib also and was unsure was the plating lost or the nib was steel and I think it was stated in description, also I have sent her exact photos of the pen with writting samples and more photos of the nib, I am still learning about fountain pens so I might not no everything. Unfortunately the original listing was on FPN and is probably expired.

Due to the Senator pen which Hari wrote about I have received payment, prepared the pen for shipping, take it to car which unfortunately was broken in and I lost not only pen but my stuff as well, I have infromed Hari about it and said I am sorry and wrote that I will send him refund which I did immediatelly, I don't have pen factory so I did only thing I could.

I don't know it's all but I have tried to reply to everything.

Regards,

david1600
    Last edited by david1600; May 8th, 2013 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david1600 View Post
    Hello,

I don't know how to start, since the verdict is already given and I am guilty. I have received the info from Suzy,but as I wrote in correspondention with her, all I asked was the question why if sth was wrong she didn't contact me since the nib or the cork seal aren't things which will work out in some time, also you can see it and I wouldn't critize anybody especially if she would do it immediatelly after receiving pen, since I buy pens as well and I want it working if stated so also. I don't want to be rude, but since she didn't wrote nothing in first few days and then point the problem with nib, I can say as well that pen was in good condition, the nib was straight and she broke it, since I haven't received any proof, that this state was just out of the box. I have this policy since once I had received the pen back which was totally broken ( one wing of the nib broken and the piston knob broken from mechanism), after I agreed for return after few days usage.

Others didn't wrote anything that there's sth wrong with their fountain pens, except Taidaina which wrote that the nib was a bit misangled and she will send it for a repair, but she's happy and she didn't heard about this model of MB pen with steel nib, the pen she aquired was tested with magnet since I haven't heard about MB 144 with steel nib also and was unsure was the plating lost or the nib was steel and I think it was stated in description, also I have sent her exact photos of the pen with writting samples and more photos of the nib, I am still learning about fountain pens so I might not no everything. Unfortunately the original listing was on FPN and is probably expired.

Due to the Senator pen which Hari wrote about I have received payment, prepared the pen for shipping, take it to car which unfortunately was broken in and I lost not only pen but my stuff as well, I have infromed Hari about it and said I am sorry and wrote that I will send him refund which I did immediatelly, I don't have pen factory so I did only thing I could.

I don't know it's all but I have tried to reply to everything.

Regards,

david1600
    In essence, what David is saying is (a) that I must have broken the nib because I didn't contact him immediately (which makes no sense) and (b) since I didn't contact him immediately he has no responsibility to pay for the costs of repairing the cork seal. That sounds to me like a man who will not stand behind what he sells.

Some clarification. The nib is not broken, it is misaligned. If that were the only problem, I wouldn't complain, because one can pretty easily push the feed back into the nib.

But since I asked specifically about the cork before buying the pen and that is what is wrong with the pen, I think David does have a responsibility to pay for the cost of the repair. This was a $375 pen. This was not a cheap pen where one could perhaps expect it to be less than perfect. I find absolutely no basis to David's argument that because I didn't contact him the day I received the pen that he has no responsibility. As I stated earlier. I had the pen a total of 7 days when I contacted him. That is not enough time for a good cork to go bad. And, despite what he says, I contacted him in a reasonable amount of time (how is 7 days not a reasonable amount of time?). There was nothing in his listing indicating that a buyer has to contact him immediately if they have problems.

I did not "break the nib" as he accuses and I did not cause the cork to go bad. He sold me a defective pen. Period. And his only recourse is to keep saying that I didn't contact him immediately, so that absolves him of any responsibility. That, I believe, is ridiculous.

I hope others learn from this experience. And I certainly wish David would, at the least, in order to salvage his reputation, offer to pay for the cork replacement.

Susan
    Show me a shiny blue fountain pen and I will probably buy it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susan3141 For This Useful Post:

ever onward (January 4th, 2014), fountainpenkid (June 23rd, 2015)

Banned
    Thanks

Everybody is different, but if I buy sth which, is bad I inform asap about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzyq2463 View Post
    (I was criticized by another seller when I contacted her after only one day of using a pen and she said I hadn't given it a good try!)
    Do you inform about sth like this often? for me seems like a pattern.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

I want to remind anyone commenting on this thread not to attack either party, but instead make suggestions that might help each come to an agreement.

This forum is a place for users to provide factual information about a transaction and allow the other party to respond, giving potential customers as much information as possible.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

Manny (May 9th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david1600 View Post
    Everybody is different, but if I buy sth which, is bad I inform asap about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzyq2463 View Post
    (I was criticized by another seller when I contacted her after only one day of using a pen and she said I hadn't given it a good try!)
    Do you inform about sth like this often? for me seems like a pattern.
    Are you serious? I mention one other situation, about which you know nothing, and you call it a "pattern"? Is that the best you can do?

Really, David, all I'm asking is for you to do the right thing, which is pay for the cost of the repair for the cork. I don't think that is outrageous or unreasonable. What I do think is outrageous and unreasonable, is your unwillingness to take responsibility for selling a defective pen.

Susan

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susan3141 For This Useful Post:

ever onward (January 4th, 2014), fountainpenkid (May 8th, 2013)

Thanks

I've a suggestion for the seller. You can avoid suspicions about customer related damage with decent sale photographs. Certainly, a macro of the nib alignment and gap. Here's the new cork gaskets about to be fitted. Here's an example clip showing the seals are ink-tight. If you're selling expensive pens, it's worth taking the time and avoiding future unpleasantness & ambiguity.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

Thanks

To be honest, I can't comment on the nib issue, but it sounds like there was an issue with the cork to begin with. I find it difficult to believe that a piston cork seal that was working perfectly would give way to problems within even a month, much less 7 or 10 days (unless BSB was somehow involved).

Usually if a cork seal needs to be replaced, it is because it no longer seals properly - which points to it being too old. Perhaps David thought it looked alright when he sent it out, but had not tried the pen extensively? Either way, it seems like the best solution here is to at least compromise and perhaps split the cost of the repair. It's difficult to say who is right or wrong, if indeed someone is even in the wrong. It could just be a number of other factors that we can't see or think of.

Thanks

I'm also seeing -still - a communication problem. I think David has trouble expressing his thoughts on possibilities, so that Suzy thinks he is accusing her of damaging the pen where he is - as yet - only suggesting the possibility, from his point of view. And this then set the tone for the subsequent communication between the two. It is often difficult for native speakers to see where a non-native speaker has problem expressing him/her self in another language. It is often not only the vocabulary that is deficient - or confused! - but also the grammar, the use of stock expressions, and such things. I say this because I can sense his frustration from some of the things he says in his posts. And I have some experience with situations where people are obliged to express themselves in a foreign language, sometimes in stressful situations, and it becomes difficult for them in ways the native speakers cannot even imagine.

I also think that there were two issues that Suzy brought up, the issue of the nib tines and the issue of the cork seal, and they are at least confused in David's mind as to which is more important. Here I think a solution may present itself, something that others have already suggested: since the nib was not really the big problem, it might be dropped from the discussion, and then the cork seal problem stands out, and there David has not really responded, and I think he should. I think Suzy's demand in that respect is very reasonable.

I hope this perspective helps.
    De pen is machtiger dan het zwaard - de pen wordt nog gebruikt, het zwaard hangt aan de muur...

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mhguda For This Useful Post:

de_pen_dent (May 20th, 2013), ethernautrix (May 9th, 2013), jar (August 21st, 2013), Susan3141 (May 9th, 2013)

Thanks

What if there was a sort of "Angie's List" (http://angieslist.com) for fountain pen sellers (especially ebay ones), that buyers could refer to before a purchase?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    What if there was a sort of "Angie's List" (http://angieslist.com) for fountain pen sellers (especially ebay ones), that buyers could refer to before a purchase?
    What an excellent idea.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachez

Thanks

I am not judging David but there are more than a few users who have issues with him. This is a trend. If you consider that there are only a limited number of users here on FPG, then I would take this as a sign not to do business with David.

I am thankful that the original poster warned us.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JustinJ For This Useful Post:

ever onward (January 4th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post
    I am not judging David but there are more than a few users who have issues with him. This is a trend. If you consider that there are only a limited number of users here on FPG, then I would take this as a sign not to do business with David.

I am thankful that the original poster warned us.
    Unfortunately, he sells more pens on FPN than here, and as far as I know, there's no way to warn people there.

On the positive side, I got the MB 234 1/2 back from Gary Lehrer and it works perfectly. The cost of repair was $65. Seems like that wouldn't break David's considerable bank if he refunded me at least that much. But the likelihood of that is next to zero.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I would not say, "don't buy from him..ever." But I would say, buy carefully.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Senior Member Penne Stilografiche's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by collectiblepens.com View Post
    Holy guacamole.

Thanks

I am the person who purchased a Montblanc 146 for $462 from David1600 on FPN and started the post referenced above. He described the pen as "excellent." What happened to me is theft, nothing less. There are obvious bite marks, not described or in photos. When I raised this, he told me that the marks were not there before and I must have chomped on the pen myself. The cap of the pen is warped to one side. Again not mentioned or photographed. He has had no comment regarding this. The rings are a mess. Also not mentioned or depicted. After my post on FPN, which initially contained a link to his ad, including his pics which were on a 3rd party site, he went to the site and removed all of the pics. He sent me a pic, not included in the ad, that provides a clearer image of some of the problems with the rings and falsely claimed that this was in the original ad. I will try to attach 4 pics. The 2 with a wood background were used in his ad. The other 2, showing the rings, the warping, and some of the bite marks, are mine. His response has varied from evasion to outright lies. The worst buying experience of any kind in my life.

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ksh For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Holy guacamole.
    Holy guacamole indeed. It seems that this is not just a "communication problem" anymore. After that thread was posted, David1600 deceivingly removed the photos in his listing and replaced them with flowers, he also changed his price to "free". It is kind of scary to allow people like him to continue to sell pens on boards like the FPN and FPG, he continues to misrepresent the items he sells.

I have to thank the OP, if you did not raise concerns about this matter, I would have purchased the item in question on the FPN. I certainly would not want to deal with anyone who habitually deceives others to sell their products.

Best Regards,
    Vincenzo

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Penne Stilografiche For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Did the post on FPN get deleted? I can't access it anymore.

Thanks

Shocker, the thread regarding David1600 ripping off another FPN member has disappeared.
    Last edited by Penne Stilografiche; August 21st, 2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Susan beat me to it.