Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Do?

Thanks

Default Re: What Would You Do?

Was this the advert? I read both the post and the ad with photos. http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...with-shipping/

edit - to clarify, before the post was made unavailable and the ad photos were changed.
    Last edited by Flounder; August 21st, 2013 at 05:42 PM.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

Thanks

Yes, but without the thread, there's no link to the listing. I can't remember what listing it was, that's why I'm asking.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

Thanks

Hmm. Disappointing way to behave. Certainly shits all over the country club, all chums together vibe.

Thanks

The thread was removed. However, FPN admin has tried to help me by encouraging David1600 to refund the $. In the thread to my FPN post, I learned of this thread. If I had known of it, I would never have purchased a pen from him. My purpose in posting here is that maybe someone will read this and be spared the aggravation. I also hope that this guy will be barred from ever selling another pen here and at FPN.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ksh For This Useful Post:

ever onward (January 4th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Was this the advert? I read both the post and the ad with photos. http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...with-shipping/

edit - to clarify, before the post was made unavailable and the ad photos were changed.
    No, that's a different pen. Mine was listed as a 1950's:
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...with-shipping/
    But this is after he removed all the pics.

Thanks

Today I received David1600's response to FPN's effort to resolve this. He wrote: "The condition wasn't described as near mint or perfect but extra fine, which in my opinion was correct.".
    Look at the pics of the pen. Should someone who thinks that it is proper to sell this as an extra fine item be permitted to sell anything?
    I would like this post to be brought to the attention of the appropriate people who would have the authority to bar him from ever selling another pen. Can anyone tell me how to go about this?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ksh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ksh View Post
    Today I received David1600's response to FPN's effort to resolve this. He wrote: "The condition wasn't described as near mint or perfect but extra fine, which in my opinion was correct.".
    Look at the pics of the pen. Should someone who thinks that it is proper to sell this as an extra fine item be permitted to sell anything?
    I would like this post to be brought to the attention of the appropriate people who would have the authority to bar him from ever selling another pen. Can anyone tell me how to go about this?
    For this forum, maybe try the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.

Thanks

Submit a dispute to PayPal. I haven't had to do that yet, so I can't help with the exact process. Best of luck with it!

This whole thing has kind of soured me on the thought of using the FPN classifieds. Basically, it seems like the mods aren't doing their jobs - so far the only action taken is to delete the thread, which is punishing the victim of a crime. It's not cool when victims of muggings get blamed (ex, You shouldn't have been on that street, what did you expect), and it's not cool when the victim of an online scammer gets hassled either. Plus, now I know there's no way to know if some seller on FPN is a scammer. We apparently can't warn other buyers if we get scammed, and the mods didn't seem to take this seriously, despite the guy being a repeat offender. I'd rather spend my money somewhere that takes it seriously.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WirsPlm For This Useful Post:

Thanks

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flounder For This Useful Post:

Annie (August 23rd, 2013), ksh (August 22nd, 2013)

Thanks

Also, there seems to be a difference between the cached and current "condition"

Thanks

Flounder: Would you explain how you pulled up the page from Aug 7th? Free software?

Thanks

Nope, it's all google. Here's a backup of the advert as it is today, in case it is further changed.

[22 Aug] Montblanc 146 1950's With Shipping - Classifieds - The Fount.pdf

If you are in contact with the mods @ FPN about this, show them there is proof the advert has been altered. It wouldn't hurt to give paypal the links too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Got to love the long, long memory that is Google. That folks haven't realized everything they post online is there forever in cache I really don't get. Hope this gets resolved.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Flounder:
    I don't mean to highjack my own subject matter, but how exactly did you do it? You didn't have the page saved in your own browser history, right? So you went to Google and did what? In my work, sometimes I'll want to find what someone posted on Facebook, but when I go to look for it, it's gone. Can you just pick a date a month or two ago and get what was there?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Facebook, by it's dynamic nature, is going to be a lot harder to pull out. But more standardized web pages do get cached. I'll be curious to see if Flounder has a way of resurrecting Facebook data, and how far back...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Flounder:
    I don't mean to highjack my own subject matter, but how exactly did you do it? You didn't have the page saved in your own browser history, right? So you went to Google and did what? In my work, sometimes I'll want to find what someone posted on Facebook, but when I go to look for it, it's gone. Can you just pick a date a month or two ago and get what was there?
    When you do a Google search, there is usually a link to the cached item to the right of the search result. Sometimes takes some getting to, and mousing over, but basically Google and other engines keep cached versions of pages. Even a page that has vanished and is gone can be retrieved this way. Facebook is way trickier. But if it was shared PUBLICALLY on FB then again, Google may have indexed it and have a cache.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Thanks

The third-from-last picture does show a bit of damage to the cap rings. But it's a little hard to spot, and IMO the seller should have called attention to it.

Thanks

That photo, particularly if you go to the 3rd party site and do a close up, provides a clue to the issue with the rings, but the actual problem is significantly worse than shown. I did not realize I could do a close-up. My fault. But the process of buying a pen should not be a game in which the seller tries to get away with hiding the condition, while revealing just enough to claim that the buyer had fair warning. Moreover, there was no mention or photo of obvious and deep bite marks. And no mention of warping. The pen was described in the ad as "Extra Fine." C'mon. With the help of FPN admin, I have reached a resolution, with a refund that should be sufficient to buy a replacement cap, assuming I can find one somewhere. I prefer this to having to pay to ship it to Europe with delivery confirmation, worrying about whether he claims that the item was damaged in transit, and waiting for Paypal. The purpose of my post was not to engender sympathy. It was to try to prevent someone else from going through the aggravation I have gone through, and which I would have avoided if I had read this thread prior to purchase.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ksh For This Useful Post:

Annie (August 23rd, 2013), dr.grace (August 23rd, 2013), ever onward (January 4th, 2014), fountainpenkid (August 25th, 2013)

Thanks

Flounder:
    I don't mean to highjack my own subject matter, but how exactly did you do it? You didn't have the page saved in your own browser history, right? So you went to Google and did what? In my work, sometimes I'll want to find what someone posted on Facebook, but when I go to look for it, it's gone.

Here's all you do:
    1. Copy and paste the advert URL from FPN to google's seach box.
    2. Click the little downward arrow to the right of the search result. The word "Cached" appears. Click that to see the listing as google cached it on the 7th August.
    3. Remember a time when trading was a fun way of learning about different pens in a safe and trustworthy environment, instead of a forensic ball ache.

Can you just pick a date a month or two ago and get what was there?
    Nope. It is fortunate that the advert was up long enough for google to cache it before David1600 altered it. For any given archived page, the Internet Archive lets you choose snapshots from specific dates.

Don't know about Facebook, I've never needed to do that. For saving offline copies of web pages, I like to use a firefox addon called printpagestopdf.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flounder For This Useful Post:

ksh (August 23rd, 2013), Mesu (August 27th, 2013)