Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What Would You Do?

Thanks

Default Re: What Would You Do?

I am very shocked to hear such things happened at FPG and FPN. I hope Paypal can help Susan and Keith.

In my opinion, buying from a reputable seller is the best bet although it does not guarantee everything will go right. However when buying a pen, we should keep in mind taking very close examination to the detail pictures as well as writing samples, and always ask for return/exchange policy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ksh View Post
    I am the person who purchased a Montblanc 146 for $462 from David1600 on FPN and started the post referenced above. He described the pen as "excellent." What happened to me is theft, nothing less. There are obvious bite marks, not described or in photos. When I raised this, he told me that the marks were not there before and I must have chomped on the pen myself. The cap of the pen is warped to one side. Again not mentioned or photographed. He has had no comment regarding this. The rings are a mess. Also not mentioned or depicted. After my post on FPN, which initially contained a link to his ad, including his pics which were on a 3rd party site, he went to the site and removed all of the pics. He sent me a pic, not included in the ad, that provides a clearer image of some of the problems with the rings and falsely claimed that this was in the original ad. I will try to attach 4 pics. The 2 with a wood background were used in his ad. The other 2, showing the rings, the warping, and some of the bite marks, are mine. His response has varied from evasion to outright lies. The worst buying experience of any kind in my life.

Keith
    David has asked for his images to be removed under copyright law. If he can prove it I'll have to take them down. In the meantime, I'd suggest hosting the images outside of FPG, just in case.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I am sad to see this progression...it now seems that he is not simply a careless seller from another country but a dishonest one as well. I will never buy from him again. Many thanks to ksh for the heads up!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

ever onward (January 4th, 2014)

Thanks

The photos of the pen he sold to me, that I posted here, were taken by me. As for his pics, there is no copyright protection in the US unless he takes out a copyright. It isn't some inherent property of any photo posted on the net. He has been begging me to assist in taking down this thread. Here is my last message, as in final, to him:

Let's not pretend that you gave me a refund because you had some moral awakening. You gave me a refund (and still refused to accept a return, even though that's what I wanted), because ... [you knew] that if you did not resolve things with me there was no chance that you'd ever sell a pen on FPN again. What you did was not an innocent mistake or mere negligence. It was theft. You knew the deplorable condition of the pen and you tried to hide it, and when I called you on it, you lied. So let's be blunt -- I think you are a crook with no moral conscience. I hope you are barred for the rest of your life from selling a pen anywhere. And I do not want to hear from you again.

Keith
    Last edited by ksh; August 27th, 2013 at 05:32 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksh For This Useful Post:

ever onward (January 4th, 2014), Laura N (August 27th, 2013)

Thanks

I received a message from David also. He finally agreed to refund the repair costs for the MB he sold me. So, I am grateful for that and wanted to acknowledge it. I don't think it would have happened without Keith's experience being posted on FPN and informing moderators here and on FPN.

All the same, he asked me in another message to delete this thread, which I will leave up to the moderator.

I hope this leads to better business practices by David in the future. But I still think we need some sort of rating system for buyers and sellers to help prevent this sort of problem.

Susan
    Show me a shiny blue fountain pen and I will probably buy it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susan3141 For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 27th, 2013), Laura N (August 27th, 2013)

Thanks

I strongly urge that this thread not be taken down. If I had read this, I never would have bought the pen. This thread may spare someone else the aggravation I went through.
    One more thought re copyright. I am pretty certain that copyright protection cannot be created after the fact. The pics he sent to me and posted on FPN were not copyrighted. I can do whatever I want with them. I'm not a copyright lawyer, but I doubt you can post something on the web, as he did, then later get a copyright, (which he will never really do anyway), and then claim protection for something you put unprotected into the stream of public communications.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ksh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

FWIW, I think this thread should remain up, with or without the photos from the classified ad.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ksh View Post
    The photos of the pen he sold to me, that I posted here, were taken by me. As for his pics, there is no copyright protection in the US unless he takes out a copyright. It isn't some inherent property of any photo posted on the net.
    Keith
    I was wrong about copyright protection. Turns out, it is not required to register in order to have some protections. However, there is a "fair use" doctrine, that, I am told, generally permits publication by a non-owner in circumstances where the economic value of the item being published is not reduced by the publication, where the publication is for the purpose of criticism, and where there is a public benefit to the publication.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Take a picture of the pictures. He put the pictures up on the Internet... take a picture of them on your computer screen....

Thanks

Default What Would You Do?

To understand fair use a bit more completely, you should Google the "four factors"
    http://katexic.com/clippings/
    Love interesting words? Curious links? Great writing? Subscribe to the free, thrice weekly Katexic Clippings newsletter!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maiboo View Post
    Ahh that might explain it. English is my second language too and I still have problems with tenses even after living here awhile.
    Betcha he cashed the check that was written in English.