Thread: Leaving the forum

Thanks

Question Leaving the forum

Hello all!
    Not sure if this is the right place for this inquiry, but I couldn't find any place that really fit...
    Is there a way to permanently leave the forum? And if so, will this adversely affect threads and posts (e.g. leave gaps so that responses to now missing posts no longer make sense)?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,481 Times in 4,009 Posts

Default Re: Leaving the forum

I'm not sure if there is actually a 'close your account' button, or if there is whether all of the threads and posts would be affected and no longer make sense. My instinct is that there isn't such a button. If there is, I haven't found it.

I know of more than one really good member who has left, and they just stop posting. The advantage of doing that means that you can, at least, still sign-in and read posts and threads even if you don't post.

Please don't leave. I know (God how I know!) exactly how it gets you down from time to time and sometimes you think "what's the point," but your posts are valuable and interesting and you would be missed.

Let's both stay.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

inklord (January 8th, 2018)

Thanks

... just checking out options...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Hotel California.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Annie (January 14th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,728 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    What prompted you to check out this option, though?

I thought I spent quite a bit of time here, but obviously I don't because I have no idea why people who regularly contribute feels like leaving until they say it publicly.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Is there a way to permanently leave the forum?
    Apparently not.

I have written admin with the same request a month ago. No reply.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

inklord (January 9th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

If I ever leave, I'm going to take the entire Internet down with me. Just to be sure.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Annie (January 14th, 2018), AzJon (January 9th, 2018), Beowulf50 (January 10th, 2018), Dreck (January 9th, 2018), inklord (January 9th, 2018), kia (February 15th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (January 9th, 2018), VertOlive (January 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    If I ever leave, I'm going to take the entire Internet down with me. Just to be sure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

I thought I spent quite a bit of time here, but obviously I don't because I have no idea why people who regularly contribute feels like leaving until they say it publicly.
    Why the thought of leaving this forum has crossed my mind: I am not very comfortable with internet social media in general, and this forum is indeed the only social site I am participating in (no facebook, instagram, not following anything on twitter or any other platforms); what drew me to this forum, above all else (and that includes my fascination with pens!) is the general openness of its members, their (mostly) civil tone of conversation and sincerety, with a good deal of humor tossed in. But at the same time I sense that internet presence does not bring out the best in me, and perhaps not always in others as well, even on this forum. If I am considering leaving, that is therefore more or less to be seen as putting myself on a "diet of the mind", staying away from forms of interaction that foster anger and other negative sentiments. Unfortunately that has been the case on this forum as well, despite the laudable efforts of many good people. I hope this does not sound all too egocentric or pompous, but since you asked...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 809 Posts

Why the thought of leaving this forum has crossed my mind: I am not very comfortable with internet social media in general, and this forum is indeed the only social site I am participating in (no facebook, instagram, not following anything on twitter or any other platforms); what drew me to this forum, above all else (and that includes my fascination with pens!) is the general openness of its members, their (mostly) civil tone of conversation and sincerety, with a good deal of humor tossed in. But at the same time I sense that internet presence does not bring out the best in me, and perhaps not always in others as well, even on this forum. If I am considering leaving, that is therefore more or less to be seen as putting myself on a "diet of the mind", staying away from forms of interaction that foster anger and other negative sentiments. Unfortunately that has been the case on this forum as well, despite the laudable efforts of many good people. I hope this does not sound all too egocentric or pompous, but since you asked...
    In that case leaving the forum is as simple as an exercise of personal restraint: just don't log in while on your diet. An internet forum is like an exclusive club: you need your key and secret password to enter. If you don't go to the club you have effectively left the forum.

This approach has a clear advantage. Once you feel the diet is over you just come back as if nothing happened.

If you desire something more permanent (and I hope you don't) change your password to a random set of numbers you will never remember. That way, even if you want to break your diet, you won't be able to access the forum. It's the virtual equivalent of throwing away the key.

But then again you can open up a new account.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post

In that case leaving the forum is as simple as an exercise of personal restraint: just don't log in while on your diet. An internet forum is like an exclusive club: you need your key and secret password to enter. If you don't go to the club you have effectively left the forum.

This approach has a clear advantage. Once you feel the diet is over you just come back as if nothing happened.

If you desire something more permanent (and I hope you don't) change your password to a random set of numbers you will never remember. That way, even if you want to break your diet, you won't be able to access the forum. It's the virtual equivalent of throwing away the key.

But then again you can open up a new account.
    Or be cursed with an eidetic memory.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,728 Times in 1,976 Posts

I did ask, and thank you for the explanation. What you said makes sense to me and I don't think it's egocentric. It is always interesting to me to learn about other perspectives that people employ given a situation.

I believe that "internet presence" are just people presence, but the internet does open up the opportunity to be a semi-anonymously rude and being disrespectful due to everyone typing on a computer rather than being in the same room physically.

The idea of taking a break from something (or fasting) is a good idea when the time is right. I don't know about anything permanent
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

18. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have often thought the same thing, but then I realised I am a bit of an annoying git in real life too, so I wouldn't really accomplish much apart from giving you lovely people a break.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

When in high school, I'd say "I'm leaving and I'm NEVER coming back" to boyfriends or friends in general. Just to hear them say "NAY! Rather stay, we couldn't stand to be without you!"

But, as an adult, when I truly meant to leave, I left without comment.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (August 2nd, 2018), Chrissy (January 10th, 2018), countrydirt (January 9th, 2018), Dreck (January 9th, 2018), grainweevil (January 9th, 2018), Jon Szanto (January 9th, 2018)

Thanks

I've been trying to think of how many members have left FPG and come back, and I must admit there aren't many.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,430 Times in 2,520 Posts

Rule 142

24. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I've been trying to think of how many members have left FPG and come back, and I must admit there aren't many.
    I stopped frequenting the forum for a while. I can't really remember how long it was, but I know I've never returned to the posting frequency I had before I took a break. I think there are only a handful of people remaining from when I first started frequenting the forum. I may be wrong though.
    My Pinterest Feel free to add me on Facebook as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    When in high school, I'd say "I'm leaving and I'm NEVER coming back" to boyfriends or friends in general. Just to hear them say "NAY! Rather stay, we couldn't stand to be without you!"

But, as an adult, when I truly meant to leave, I left without comment.
    There is always the worry that when you say you are leaving, you look over your shoulder and see a group of people with thumbs up, with big smiles and reaching for the champagne.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 11th, 2018), Chemyst (August 2nd, 2018), countrydirt (January 10th, 2018)