Thread: Desiderata pen new nib units

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Desiderata pen new nib units

Thanks

Default Re: Desiderata pen new nib units

I did. But now I have to decide if I should spend an extra $20 and get the pen body as well

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Hard to say. $50 seems a lot to me for what it is, considering the $1.60 zebra nib can be worked into a few cheaper Chinese pen bodies - there's quite a few videos about this on the internet - though the ability to put this nib unit into anything that will fit a Jowo #6 may be nice.

Funny thing is that I actually suggested this idea to the maker a couple of years ago when I was buying the Daedalus (which I subsequently sold). People forget so quickly.

Anyway, the upside to the zebra nib frankenpens is that it makes flexible fun affordable. The downside is that you have to replace the nib frequently, and that won't change with the new nib unit either. Whether the swappability among pen bodies is enough of an advantage to pay $50 for is open to question.

Here's another free idea - a potentially better option for this kind of use of the zebra nib would be if it could be fitted to a safety (retractable) pen that would keep the nib submerged in ink when not in use. Might significantly reduce corrosion times. You heard it here first!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Hard to say. $50 seems a lot to me for what it is, considering the $1.60 zebra nib can be worked into a few cheaper Chinese pen bodies - there's quite a few videos about this on the internet - though the ability to put this nib unit into anything that will fit a Jowo #6 may be nice.

Funny thing is that I actually suggested this idea to the maker a couple of years ago when I was buying the Daedalus (which I subsequently sold). People forget so quickly.

Anyway, the upside to the zebra nib frankenpens is that it makes flexible fun affordable. The downside is that you have to replace the nib frequently, and that won't change with the new nib unit either. Whether the swappability among pen bodies is enough of an advantage to pay $50 for is open to question.

Here's another free idea - a potentially better option for this kind of use of the zebra nib would be if it could be fitted to a safety (retractable) pen that would keep the nib submerged in ink when not in use. Might significantly reduce corrosion times. You heard it here first!
    I wonder what nib the Boston takes... I need to do some googling, but seem to recall that the Ahab will take a #6 nib (albeit probably not in a JoWo unit).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShugPug View Post
    I wonder what nib the Boston takes... I need to do some googling, but seem to recall that the Ahab will take a #6 nib (albeit probably not in a JoWo unit).
    Wrong... It's a #5...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Interesting, I was ordering some clear acrylic Jowo #6 feed/housing from Joey at Flex Nib Factory when I noticed his Zebra G offering. Same idea as Desiderata's, compatible with #6 Jowo housings.

Quote Originally Posted by ShugPug View Post
    I do use my Ahab with a modern #6 German nib. I recall Nathan pointing out that the Boston was designed to fit vintage #2 flex nibs (i.e. so that you could salvage most vintage nibs and put them on a usable body). But I am not familiar with them, and cannot say how similar they would be in size to modern #5 German nibs. Maybe someone else could chime in.