Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ink Review: Diamine Majestic Blue

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 4,002 Posts

Default Re: Ink Review: Diamine Majestic Blue

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    I'm a big fan of Diamine inks and I've wanted to try this one, but i live close to the ocean in an area that gets lots of rain and fog (and mold), and paper doesn't do well here. I read an account by someone living in Louisiana, where it is also chronically wet and humid, in which the writer claimed that days after writing with Majestic Blue, the ink still wasn't completely dry and would still smudge on the page. It may be that the amount of moisture in the air plays a role in how the ink behaves when used.
    Britain isn't known as one of the driest places in the world, and I bet we get more rain than many users in the US.

I did an experiment with Majestic Blue by using it for many of my InCoWriMo letters during February. I would write a side of Tomoe River 52gsm A4, then immediately turn it over and write on the back. Majestic Blue didn't smudge or smear at that time. I asked some of my penpals to let me know if it had smudged or smeared when they received the letters. None reported that it did.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I'm a big fan of Diamine inks and I've wanted to try this one, but i live close to the ocean in an area that gets lots of rain and fog (and mold), and paper doesn't do well here. I read an account by someone living in Louisiana, where it is also chronically wet and humid, in which the writer claimed that days after writing with Majestic Blue, the ink still wasn't completely dry and would still smudge on the page. It may be that the amount of moisture in the air plays a role in how the ink behaves when used.
    Britain isn't known as one of the driest places in the world, and I bet we get more rain than many users in the US.

I did an experiment with Majestic Blue by using it for many of my InCoWriMo letters during February. I would write a side of Tomoe River 52gsm A4, then immediately turn it over and write on the back. Majestic Blue didn't smudge or smear at that time. I asked some of my penpals to let me know if it had smudged or smeared when they received the letters. None reported that it did.
    I lived in London for about a year, and where I live now in the US is much wetter. In the US city I lived in until recently (Eureka, California), and in surrounding towns, it was so damp all the time that mold grew out of the walls, around window panes and almost everywhere else, constantly, in my house and just about every building I knew of. Books became mildewed on the shelf in less than a year, and art paper became heartbreakingly ruined about as quickly. Ink that would dry in Jolly Old England might well not dry on the California North Coast. According to a quick online search, Berkshire gets an average of 25.2 inches of precipitation annually, London 23.4 inches, Eureka, California 40.3 inches, and New Orleans averages 63.5. Then again, Princetown in Dartmoor National Park averages 78.7 inches.

On another subject, let me add that I find your ink reviews interesting, informative, and thoroughly enjoyable! Thank you so much for them, you perform a great service for the entire community. (I can't speak for the entire community, of course, but I can see that many people find your posts extremely valuable.)
    Last edited by calamus; May 15th, 2018 at 09:37 AM.

Thanks

People often overstate the humidity in wet areas of the country, the heat in hot areas, the cold in cold areas, the dry air in dry areas. Majestic Blue dries well enough in NYC, which is hot and humid in the summer. Give it a try.

Thanks

I haven't experienced any "non-drying" problems with Majestic Blue. I really like the ink, better than several of the latest very high sheener's I've tried, that have hard start and flow problems in some of my ink testing pens.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 16th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I haven't experienced any "non-drying" problems with Majestic Blue. I really like the ink, better than several of the latest very high sheener's I've tried, that have hard start and flow problems in some of my ink testing pens.
    Well, I might just have to try some and find out for myself whether the water-logged ambiance here in the temperate rain forest that I live in (coastal redwoods) will prove a problem or not. Anyway, I have a weakness for blue, and recently remarked to someone else on this forum that I wasn't sure it was possible to have too many types of blue ink. I've just bought my current quota of new ink, so it won't be until at least next month, but by gum I do believe I'll take a stab at it. You've twisted my arm. (Thank you.) (You can let go now.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    People often overstate the humidity in wet areas of the country, the heat in hot areas, the cold in cold areas, the dry air in dry areas. Majestic Blue dries well enough in NYC, which is hot and humid in the summer. Give it a try.
    None of the boroughs begin to compare with the dampness of the redwood forest. At least the sun comes out in the summer in New York.
    And some regional differences really are significant. I was once a passenger in a car traveling through Death Valley in August. One of the car's tires actually melted from the heat, stranding us in 120º+ temperature for several hours.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

welch (May 17th, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks Chrissy. I'm trying to like this ink, but it continual dries on the nib, and I can't get a restart. Eye droppers, Pelkan, and all my Edisons. Just can't figure it out. So I've mixed it 50/50 with a Sailor purple and got a nice flow. Not a terrific color but serviceable. Perhaps if I add a little water to it. I'll have to try.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Thanks Chrissy. I'm trying to like this ink, but it continual dries on the nib, and I can't get a restart. Eye droppers, Pelkan, and all my Edisons. Just can't figure it out. So I've mixed it 50/50 with a Sailor purple and got a nice flow. Not a terrific color but serviceable. Perhaps if I add a little water to it. I'll have to try.
    Hmmm I've never heard of that happening before with Majestic Blue. It's certainly never happened with any pens I've ever filled with it.

I would have thought adding a little water might make it drier, but it's worth a try.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Madagascar - Gloria by Ptero Pterodactylus on DeviantArt

(Diamine Majestic Blue, Dip Nib, Pentel Waterbrush)

Gloria - Sheen by Ptero Pterodactylus on DeviantArt