Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: The dying art of owning a decent pen

Thanks
    Thanked 4,806 Times in 1,156 Posts

Default Re: Article: The dying art of owning a decent pen

Quote Originally Posted by sharmon202 View Post
    I enjoyed reading the article. I thought the first paragraph were sentences from different paragraphs. Keep a pen in every pocket was the point but it did not say decent pen. Noth very weel thought through in my opinion but i enjoyed reading it, thanks for the share.
    To be honest the picture got my attention before the headline. (Is that a Metropolitan? Yes, I also pause movies for pen sightings.)

Odds are the writer had nothing to do with the 'decent pen' headline anyway. At least it wasn't something clickbaity like 'You won't believe what Zaha Hadid hid in her sketchbooks!'

Thanks

A ballpen has its uses such as filling in official forms signing your credit/debit card but I just cannot get on with them. I used Uniball gel pens for years before coming bsck to fountain pens as I was buying refills for my gel impact which were expensive so thought I might as well get a fountain. I have not looked back. My only peeve is that most paper today is not really fountain pen friendly though I find Noodlers X Feather does a remarkable job on crap paper. Many an expensive diary I have bought only for it to not tolerate a fountain pen!

Thanks

I found it to be a silly piece for any useful commentary... it's more of a fiction work.

But truth be told, the art of owning a decent pen is slowly dying. Just consider how much work is done electronically these days. I observed a degradation of hand writing quality in myself before I got into using fountain pens. And for others? I can't get over the lousy penmanship of some people. Even professionals! I'll never forget the time when my boss from a few years ago handed to me a print out of a document I'd prepared and he chose it mark it up with pen rather than use the Microsoft Word version tracking features (where you can track changes and leave comments). I couldn't read about 30% of what he'd jotted down. I've recently seen friends jot down a few words on paper, revealing terrible penmanship. Not many schools are teaching children good penmanship these days.

Let's face it -- the need for a pen is still there, but with global competition (notably China) the prices for everyday work-horse pens has dropped while the quality of inks and fine tips has increased. Just look at the rash of decent working nicely designed gel pens out there, which have steadily improved over time. The average person just doesn't see the need to fork out relatively large sums to own a super fine pen. But of course, the big pen makers of fine fountain pens seem to be hard at work creating more... they wouldn't if the demand wasn't there. Is the top 1% feeding their revenue? Maybe.
    Last edited by myu; February 1st, 2018 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks

Times change. I have to say I don't want to buy any more pens. I have enough, but, even if I didn't I would probably prefer to buy a luxury phone.

Thanks

So, err... not really about penmanship, but composing text in general.
    A friend (who is teaching in university) recently complained about how many of her students send their assignment as attachment in a blank e-mail.
    As if they are so used to chatting culture of instant messengers, they can't even compose e-mail anymore.

And like mentioned previously, they would rather take a photo snap of the blackboard rather than taking notes of their own.

Thanks

Agreed, most people today, even some FP geeks, don't see the point of splashing out on a Nakaya or Montblanc LE.

But then of course the average person in 1920 or 1930 or 1940 didn't see the point in splashing out on a super-fine fountain pen either, which is why there are so few solid gold Parker 51s and so many black ones with lustraloy caps.

Thanks

People today are more interested in a stupidly expensive iphone

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GTG For This Useful Post:

penwash (February 6th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Years ago I lost a sentimental fountain pen by carelessly lending it. These days, in addition to whatever fountain pens are in rotation, I carry a cheap gel pen and/or clicky ballpoint for lending to non-pen people. Someone who wants a pen in a hurry is unlikely to be looking for a lesson on the finer ponts of fountain pens. So far my loaners have never been needed. Even with such easily replaceable pens I would be anxious about getting them back unscathed. What can I say? I like all my pens.
    Then lend the pen and not the cap. A fountain pen with no cap always returns.
    Don't discount the human race's creativity and ingenuity at making a mess.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Then lend the pen and not the cap. A fountain pen with no cap always returns.
    The other reason to do this is you won't be biting back tears as someone finds the strength to pull the cap off of your screw cap pen.

And they won't be handing it back while holding the cap which they screwed on 1/100th of a turn so you drop it.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

It has taken a while, but I am gradually morphing my collection to only include indecent pens.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (February 12th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    It has taken a while, but I am gradually morphing my collection to only include indecent pens.
    how about incandescent pens?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    how about incandescent pens?
    Covered:

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (February 12th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by youssefosama View Post
    I am ready to die for One of these
    You keep spamming this all over the board, sunbeam, and there'll be a queue of folks wanting to help...

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

Deb (February 18th, 2018), Hawk (February 17th, 2018)