Thread: Pics from Central Ohio Pen Club Meeting

Thanks

Default Pics from Central Ohio Pen Club Meeting

The Central Ohio Pen Club held our regular monthly meeting this past Sunday. Once again we enjoyed outstanding attendance, with 7 people attending their first meeting! Welcome to our new members!

Before I say anything else, let me extend our thanks to Tim for bringing his terrific coffee from “Coffee Mess” (www.thecoffeemess.com), and Rose for the super cookies. What a great start to our meeting!

With everyone happily sipping and munching, John Veley showed us his really cool 1930’s “Sin Pencil”. This looked like an ordinary pencil, but had a number of special features:

+ The end could be reversed to a nib for a fountain pen
    + When the cap (containing a compass) was removed, the barrel held three dice
    + The barrel could be disassembled to produce a dreidl like device for use in a “Put & Take” gambling game
    + A portion became a cigar holder
    + No pictures for you, but there was a peephole in the cap that allowed one to gaze upon a picture of …. Well, you figure it out. It’s called a “Sin Pencil”.

And let the record show that it was a young female who insisted on taking the first look! Yes, I looked too. But I’m a dirty old man. What’s her excuse?

Then it was time for the club’s “Christmas in January Ink Swap”. Attendees who wanted to participate put in a bottle of ink. Here we are starting to get ready.

Each bottle had a number. Participants drew a number blindly out of a hat, and whatever number they drew was the ink they got. There was some pretty nice stuff in there! Diamines, Osters, Edelsteins, a set of J Herbin scented inks, etc. Even some hot new ink was up for grabs.

After the drawing, everyone tried each other’s inks, shared samples, and generally had a ball. Many attendees brought a variety of inks to share.

Some collections were a manageable size.

Some were a little larger

And some…..

…… and these were just his sample vials. I didn’t photograph the bottles! Brandon, have you considered an intervention?

Many people claim that women are superb multi-taskers. Lisa convinced me! Here she is, pens in both hands, dip pen at the ready, multiple bottles in play, color ring providing reference swatches, and sample vials being provided.

Not a drop spilled on the white table, and the woman was still smiling!

And who wouldn’t smile? Coffee, cookies, pens and ink, and even a risqué peephole picture.

Sound like fun? Consider joining us next month. It’s all free! All we need is you!

We are trying to finalize arrangements for another guest presenter for our February meeting. Details are still being finalized. If he can not make it in February, we’ll schedule him for a later date and will instead make our February meeting “Black Pen Day”. Bring your favorite black pen(s) for Show & Tell (and sell, if you wish)! If our speaker can make it, we will move Black Pen Day to March. Details to be announced.

Next Meeting Sunday February 11, 2 – 4 pm, Columbus Library Northern Lights Branch, 4093 Cleveland Ave, Columbus.

As Tim says, just look for the meeting room full of distinguished looking people. We’ll be the group in the next room!

Hope to see you there!

​Visit us on Facebook: Central Ohio Pen Club
    ​Visit our website: www.ohiopens.org (sign up for our mailing list at link on site)
    Last edited by whichwatch; January 17th, 2018 at 09:56 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (January 17th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Default Re: Pics from Central Ohio Pen Club Meeting

Quote Originally Posted by whichwatch View Post
    As Tim says, just look for the meeting room full of distinguished looking people. We’ll be the group in the next room!

Hope to see you there!
    I'm going to have to borrow that sometime

I wish Ohio is not 1000 miles from where I live.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens