Thread: Montblanc 144

Thanks

Default Montblanc 144

Looking for some information on this fountain pen. Size wise, what other pen/s is it comparable to? Sonnet, Pelikan 400 or 600? Screw on or snap cap? Filling system? And finally, if you own one, what are yor impressions of it in hand? In addition, what model does use a snap cap? Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 795 Posts

Default Re: Montblanc 144

I am not an expert but I believe there are two different 144 models. There is a 1950's model that is a piston filler with a screw cap. Then there is a 1980's model that is CC and has a snap cap.
    Both models seem to be the same size as a Pelikan M400.
    I hope other members with more knowledge will chime in.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

In a brief nutshell: From 1949-60, the 144 was a cigar shape with threaded cap in three choices of celluloid: ubiquitous black, striated green and striated grey, powered by the venerable alloy telescoping piston mechanism. Then came a black plastic version with flat ends that was only produced in 1960 & 61. The last and best known 144 was a skinny full-length cigar of black or bordeaux resin (the latter with early black or later bordeaux section) with a slip-cap and gold-plated band at the end of the section. It accepted either ink cartridges or a converter. Be aware that in the last few years of production, Montblanc named the 144 "Classique" (though the 144 model number still appeared on the box), and just to confuse us, when production of the 144/Classique ended, Montblanc applied the same name to the slightly larger threaded-cap 145.
    Last edited by FredRydr; January 21st, 2018 at 02:14 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (July 1st, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks for the responses guys, that cleared it up for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

There is a downside to the 144 design, though, which involves corrosion of the section trim ring. Here is a brief on the concept: https://danielkirchheimer.com/2017/0...ion-trim-ring/

I forget who sells them, but aftermarket section trim rings are available. Anyone recall?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (February 19th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 795 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    There is a downside to the 144 design, though, which involves corrosion of the section trim ring. Here is a brief on the concept: https://danielkirchheimer.com/2017/0...ion-trim-ring/

I forget who sells them, but aftermarket section trim rings are available. Anyone recall?
    Pentooling.com has them.

Thanks

I read Hirchheimer's comment about the pen trim ring. As far as the Sonnet is concerned, I have a couple of dozen of them, and they might be best avoided for other reasons. Like the drying out issue due to cap defect.

The Montblanc 144 is, however, a really fine writing pen. It is about the best C/C pen I have, because it does not dry out for many days, and it is restarted easily. Writing quality of my four 144s is delightful. To damn the pen for one rather minor issue like corrosion on the trim ring is shortsighted.

A greater problem with the trim ring is that the pens with the older section with plastic section threads the trim ring is a clutch ring, making a friction fit with the inner cap. The inner cap wears because of this, and it has to be replaced after about ten years. Also, the stress of capping and uncapping tends to pull the trim ring off of the section. It is adhered somehow at the factory, and I could not reattach mine, but I am sure there will be comments from users who will write that they did reattach it. I sent mine to Montblanc, and I got a new section on the returned pen, Bordeaux to match the pen instead of the original black, and the new section has a trim ring that screws on. So, Montblanc has improved the pen over time.

I value my four 144s as highly as any of my pens, and I use them with great pleasure.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

jar (February 18th, 2018)

Thanks

Would using the replacement section trim ring in any way void the warranty? I have a NOS 144 so no corrosion yet, but I’m afraid of it happening!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gobblecup View Post
    Would using the replacement section trim ring in any way void the warranty? I have a NOS 144 so no corrosion yet, but I’m afraid of it happening!
    Of course a replacement section ring wouldn't be under warranty by Montblanc if someone else made it. And I'm confident that Montblanc wouldn't wish to remove one and replace it with one of theirs. Whether one on their pen would void the warranty altogether probably isn't known.

However, if you have a NOS 144 that doesn't have corrosion to it's section ring, then the way forward for you is to ensure it doesn't happen, by being meticulous in cleaning ink off of your pen after inking it. You can't really live your life worrying about the fact that it might happen one day. If it does, you should hope that Montblanc will still be able to fix it.
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 4th, 2018 at 03:22 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Gobblecup (May 4th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I read Hirchheimer's comment about the pen trim ring. As far as the Sonnet is concerned, I have a couple of dozen of them, and they might be best avoided for other reasons. Like the drying out issue due to cap defect.

The Montblanc 144 is, however, a really fine writing pen. It is about the best C/C pen I have, because it does not dry out for many days, and it is restarted easily. Writing quality of my four 144s is delightful. To damn the pen for one rather minor issue like corrosion on the trim ring is shortsighted.

A greater problem with the trim ring is that the pens with the older section with plastic section threads the trim ring is a clutch ring, making a friction fit with the inner cap. The inner cap wears because of this, and it has to be replaced after about ten years. Also, the stress of capping and uncapping tends to pull the trim ring off of the section. It is adhered somehow at the factory, and I could not reattach mine, but I am sure there will be comments from users who will write that they did reattach it. I sent mine to Montblanc, and I got a new section on the returned pen, Bordeaux to match the pen instead of the original black, and the new section has a trim ring that screws on. So, Montblanc has improved the pen over time.

I value my four 144s as highly as any of my pens, and I use them with great pleasure.
    Have you done a direct experiment to compare the 144 against the 145 for drying out?

I only ask because I would never buy a 144 if a 145 was available with it's screw-on cap. I just can't get my head around these slip on caps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post

Have you done a direct experiment to compare the 144 against the 145 for drying out?

I only ask because I would never buy a 144 if a 145 was available with it's screw-on cap. I just can't get my head around these slip on caps.
    I tried a 145 for a while, but I prefer the slip cap to the screw on cap, and black pens are not my favorites. The 144s don't dry up in weeks or months for me. The 145 didn't dry up. Pelikans don't dry up. I still don't like screw on caps. I put up with them on a few special pens. It isn't a make or break thing for me. I take the pens as they come. If they work and they are pretty and convenient, I might use them. As I get older I am trying not to be too judgemental about this stuff.

Thanks

As I now remember, my Montblancs with screw on caps used to come unscrewed in my shirt pocket, occasionally ruining a shirt with ink. Not everybody carries pens in a shirt pocket, but I routinely do, so these Montblancs with the screw on caps I sold. The Montblancs I still use are the 144Rs, 163Rs, and 164Rs. If you don't carry pens in your shirt pockets, they won't be subject to the same forces that tend to unscrew them in my pockets, and you will be fine, but that's the way I like to do it, so I use push on cap pens as long as the friction fit remains good. Even retired I still put the pens in my shirt pocket, and it's of no use to argue that I shouldn't do it or that you don't do it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (September 29th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

I have a 50s 144 with a BB nib and I love the pen.

With cap, same size as a Pelikan 400 NN.
    Without cap a little bit shorter than the 400NN, but heavier in weight (mainly because of the awesome telescopic piston mechanism)

Quote 011 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

(Montblanc 144 - BB ..... Montblanc Miles Davis Jazz Blue)

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (July 30th, 2018), calamus (May 17th, 2018), farmdogfan (May 5th, 2018), pajaro (October 4th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 587 Posts

Beautiful lettering there, Pterodactylus. Bravo. And that Miles Davis Jazz Blue looks richer than I've seen it look in other photos. Must be the broader nib. Nice.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Pterodactylus (May 17th, 2018)

Thanks

Hello, I have a MB 144 pen like the one in the picture shown in this thread. The problem with it is that the kind of cork piston ring was so old that it fell apart when I tried to get the charging system to work. Does anyone know where I can purchase that ring from? Thanks & regards

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gobblecup View Post
    I doubt that any Montblanc 144 is still under warranty, even if it is so called NOS.

Thanks

Beautiful pen, Pterodactylus.

One note about the 1950s 144: it isn’t that far off the 1950s 146 in length. However, it is noticeably more slender.

Thanks

In 1991, my boss gave me an MB 144 (Burgundy) as a thank you for undertaking a special assignment. I loved that pen and used it for many years. Snap cap, cartridge/converter - I used a blend of MB Black and Burgundy inks (producing a warmish-black color) exclusively.

Unfortunately, I found that it was high-maintenance - about every couple of years, a problem would develop that required that I send it to the MB service center for refurbishment. The two most common problems were the corroded section ring (causing both leaks, and a loose cap) that others have mentioned, and misalignment of the nib. Each time they returned it, it was 'like new' - and I suspect that it actually was mostly new. At one point, the refurbishment replaced the cartridge/converter mounting to accept the new screw-mount converter. But after several cycles of repair, I realized that the repair costs were starting to add up to a considerable amount, so I reluctantly decided to retire the pen.

Thanks

My year-and-a-half old 145 has started drying out again, so I sent it back to MB USA Service Center last week.

Never had the drying out problem with the 144 CC, and I wish I hadn't sold it.

Although retired, I still carry my pens in my shirt pocket, and once in a while the 145 comes oartially unscrewed. Not as often or as far unscrewed as my Pelikan M800's do, though.

C'est la vie, non?
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens