Thread: Parker VS section questions

Thanks

Default Parker VS section questions

So I finally tracked down a replacement section for my Parker VS. My issue is that when I tried putting the nib and feed back in, everything was extremely tight. I did manage to get it in but it looks incorrect. I was wondering what the community thought. I Googled other VS's and as far as I can tell it looks like mine should go further in, but I can't make it happen. Feed and nib stick out from the section for a inch. Also, when I pushed the feed in without the nib it only goes down about a strong 16th more.

Are there different sections or models of VS, could I possibly have a incorrect section?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Default Re: Parker VS section questions

There were some that were made with hard rubber feeds. Possibly this section was mated to a hard rubber feed that was a little smaller, and maybe there is a little shrinkage of the section down to that. I'm assuming you've dug around inside the section to remove anything that shouldn't be there. There's a correct orientation (the top axis of the nib is supposed to line up with the notch in the section, IIRC), but this doesn't prevent insertion in the wrong orientation. Some heat might help. And you can always wrap a piece of fine sandpaper around the feed's cylindrical base and twist it to slowly reduce its diameter. Since VS's tend to disintegrate eventually, the much-more-durable acrylic feeds aren't hard to find if you mess anything up. I happen to have one right in front of me for that reason.
    Last edited by mhosea; January 20th, 2018 at 10:10 PM.
    --
    Mike

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (January 20th, 2018)

Thanks

I did make sure the section was clean, and I lined up the nib with the notch on the inside of the section. Are you saying this feed will eventually fall apart? How long does that process take?

Also, I am assuming you believe that the nib and feed are sticking out too much?

Thanks

Yes, you assume correctly: the feed is way too far out. No, the feeds last "forever". They're made of acrylic. It's the pens that fall apart because they aren't. They used a plastic that doesn't age well for the VS's. They get brittle. Perhaps by now they all are somewhat brittle. I don't know because nobody in their right mind tries to snap them like a pencil just to find out. I've used VS's, but I treat them like they are made of glass.
    --
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,017 Posts

From what I can see of that nib, it's way too far out. In fact as it is it doesn't look anywhere near to the right sized nib for that section.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 21st, 2018 at 01:42 AM.

Thanks

The nib is correct. Parker VS's had plain nibs, labeled PARKER but with no arrow. It's an unusual, if not unique (AFAIK, it is unique), feature. It should be seated up fairly close to USA.

Why it can't be seated properly is the mystery. I'm not aware of any differences in the sections.
    Last edited by mhosea; January 21st, 2018 at 01:07 AM.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Perhaps the OP needs to find one of your suggested "much-more-durable acrylic feeds" for his nib.

Thanks

Well, I will try taking it apart and possibly try your sandpaper suggestion and heat up the section and see if that has any success.

First, I will have to cross my fingers that I can get the section off. I shellaced it in the place, but hopefully patience and some heat will help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linkinyeah View Post
    Well, I will try taking it apart and possibly try your sandpaper suggestion and heat up the section and see if that has any success.

First, I will have to cross my fingers that I can get the section off. I shellaced it in the place, but hopefully patience and some heat will help.

It's not advisable to shellac your new section in place until you have fitted the nib and feed in there.

Thanks

Yeah, I put the nib and feed in while it was out. After doing everything I knew to do to get the nib and feed in further, I had come to the determination that it had to be correct and I was just being paranoid. That is why I shellaced it.

I then thought I better double check with the community because it looks so strange. I am curious if anyone has a picture of their own section, with nib and feed in it so I could compare. The picture from above showing it further in is from the internet and I just wanted to compare it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

You might try to consult with Gary Weimer, who restores Parker VS pens quite regularly. He has an etsy shop under MidnightPens.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Perhaps the OP needs to find one of your suggested "much-more-durable acrylic feeds" for his nib.
    He has one. The acrylic feeds had to be manufactured by cutting it out of a blank, like hard rubber. The pen itself is made of a molded plastic, I think. I never read why this particular pen needed a new section, but I'm not surprised because it's common for them to crack. That's a significant risk when seating the nib and feed here, i.e. that the new section will crack under the stress when the nib and feed are properly seated. I did that once right before the sale of one of my last VS's (I had a mini-collection of them) and didn't know it (refunded).

I shellac Parker 51 hoods because it's a location where ink might seep, and Parker 51's are made of acrylic, which has a very high melting point, making it easy to soften the shellac safely. I actually don't know what the melting point of the Parker VS body plastic is. The VS doesn't really need anything because these threads are not in contact with ink (no seepage there), and the cap pulls off (no twisting there which might eventually unscrew it accidentally), but the best thing would probably be a little rosin thread sealant because it softens at a much lower temperature than shellac.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

I am curious if anyone has a picture of their own section, with nib and feed in it so I could compare.
    Here's a picture of one that I had with a hard rubber feed. Looks a little far out to me now.

ParkerVSa
    --
    Mike

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (January 21st, 2018)

Thanks

Another. That one arrived with a cracked barrel. I managed to convert it to a blow filler using a Kullock Parker 51 barrel and some other work, but the section actually didn't last very many weeks after these photos were taken.

Last edited by mhosea; January 21st, 2018 at 01:54 PM.
    --
    Mike

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (January 21st, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    He has one. The acrylic feeds had to be manufactured by cutting it out of a blank, like hard rubber. The pen itself is made of a molded plastic, I think. I never read why this particular pen needed a new section, but I'm not surprised because it's common for them to crack. That's a significant risk when seating the nib and feed here, i.e. that the new section will crack under the stress when the nib and feed are properly seated. I did that once right before the sale of one of my last VS's (I had a mini-collection of them) and didn't know it (refunded).

I shellac Parker 51 hoods because it's a location where ink might seep, and Parker 51's are made of acrylic, which has a very high melting point, making it easy to soften the shellac safely. I actually don't know what the melting point of the Parker VS body plastic is. The VS doesn't really need anything because these threads are not in contact with ink (no seepage there), and the cap pulls off (no twisting there which might eventually unscrew it accidentally), but the best thing would probably be a little rosin thread sealant because it softens at a much lower temperature than shellac.
    Thanks for this, it was another question I had. The original pen started leaking on me at the section and barrel threads, so I thought it was like the 51's and needed Shellac. It was when I went to remove the section that it cracked on me. Perhaps it was already cracked and just not noticeable, hence the ink leakage. I just couldn't remember what the nib looked like then.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Another. That one arrived with a cracked barrel. I managed to convert it to a blow filler using a Kullock Parker 51 barrel and some other work, but the section actually didn't last very many weeks after these photos were taken.

Well, I got the nib out after a few minutes in warm water, which then caused me more problems, cracks in the section.

Is there such a thing as reproduction sections that will not break?

At this point I am two sections into this pen and $40. Is there a way I can Franken pen this pen to get a working product?

I don't think I could sell the pen to get my money back?

What about coating section in something to stop the cracking?

Thanks

I have not seen reproduction parts. The durable parts are abundant (pressure bar, button and collar, feeds, nibs, caps), but chances are good that replacement barrels and sections will come to you from pens that are already brittle.

The nib is a common size for Parker pens of the late 1930's and 40's, including the Parker Vacumatic Major. I would not expect it to fit the earliest Vac Majors, as their nibs do not look similar, but for the later ones the difference is just that the VS nib doesn't have the arrow engraved on it. The cap will fit on a Parker 51. Obviously the clip is different, and the bevel on the edges of the plastic insert inside isn't exactly the same (so it may not seal as well on a 51 as a genuine 51 cap).
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Have you ever tried coating a cracked section in anything to try and seal it?

Thanks

Have you ever tried coating a cracked section in anything to try and seal it?
    My experience is that, while heroic measures can extend its service life for a time, the condition is terminal.

But that doesn't mean it should go gentle into that good night. Try sealing it, if you like. Why not? I wouldn't spend any more money on it, though. You'd be better served by finding a Parker Vac that has been bereft of its nib, though unfortunately Vac restoration requires special tools.
    --
    Mike

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (January 22nd, 2018)