Thread: A Geha School Pen

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

Default A Geha School Pen

I don't subscribe to the view that the most expensive pen is the best one – or at least not always. The pen I'm using to write this is a Geha. As it was a gift it has exceptional sentimental value but I couldn't say what price would be put on it – no more than £45 at a guess.

It's a school pen, I suppose. The nib was gold plated but is no longer. The plating has rubbed off over the years. It's quite a small pen at 12.4 cm but it suits my hand quite well, even unposted. The nib is fine and precise, just what I like.

Gehas have a little trick that no other pen has, so far as I'm aware. There is a little button on the underside of the nib which gives access to an "emergency supply" of ink – enough to write another couple of pages. I read somewhere that there was competition for the school student market in Germany and this little gimmick of the Geha gave them the edge over Pelikan for a time. However when the fountain pen market began to fail, Geha was taken over by Pelikan. I think my Geha predates that takeover.

Many post-war German piston fillers can be had for very little and often they are exceptionally good pens, even the unknown ones or ones with no name. There are more expensive gold nib Gehas but even they are quite cheap compared with Pelikans, for example.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

AzJon (April 24th, 2018), Blue Note (April 24th, 2018), catbert (April 24th, 2018), Cob (April 24th, 2018), Kaputnik (April 24th, 2018), Lady Onogaro (April 24th, 2018), Lexaf (April 30th, 2018), migo984 (April 24th, 2018), Pterodactylus (April 24th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Default Re: A Geha School Pen

Very nice pen, Deb. I have a real penchant for understated & inexpensive ‘little black numbers’. I’d much rather have one of those than the modern swirly, brightly-coloured acrylic pens so prevalent today.

I only have one Geha, a more modern 1970’s Steno, in teal blue with a stainless steel cap. It takes cartridges, which are an unusual size. But happily I found that the old Pilot CON-20 converter fits it perfectly.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

catbert (April 24th, 2018), Fermata (April 24th, 2018), penwash (April 24th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    I only have one Geha, a more modern 1970’s Steno, in teal blue with a stainless steel cap. It takes cartridges, which are an unusual size. But happily I found that the old Pilot CON-20 converter fits it perfectly.
    Good that you found a converter that will fit. Those very manufacturer-specific cartridges can make for problems nowadays. I try to keep a few unusual carts around to go with pens I may come across. 1970s Conway Stewarts are a case in point.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post

I don't subscribe to the view that the most expensive pen is the best one – or at least not always. The pen I'm using to write this is a Geha. As it was a gift it has exceptional sentimental value but I couldn't say what price would be put on it – no more than £45 at a guess.

It's a school pen, I suppose. The nib was gold plated but is no longer. The plating has rubbed off over the years. It's quite a small pen at 12.4 cm but it suits my hand quite well, even unposted. The nib is fine and precise, just what I like.

Gehas have a little trick that no other pen has, so far as I'm aware. There is a little button on the underside of the nib which gives access to an "emergency supply" of ink – enough to write another couple of pages. I read somewhere that there was competition for the school student market in Germany and this little gimmick of the Geha gave them the edge over Pelikan for a time. However when the fountain pen market began to fail, Geha was taken over by Pelikan. I think my Geha predates that takeover.

Many post-war German piston fillers can be had for very little and often they are exceptionally good pens, even the unknown ones or ones with no name. There are more expensive gold nib Gehas but even they are quite cheap compared with Pelikans, for example.
    Nice example, Deb. I have the same one. Bought it in a thrift store about 30 years ago. The imprint on the cap says: "Geha Schulfuller mit reservetank." It's a great little writer and I use it in regular rotation. The clip is totally brassed, but the nib still has all its plating. I've never seen another one until yours. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

I have something to add here.

Apparently these Geha pens are also used for companies to hand out to people because I remember having (had?) one with a company name engraved on the cap.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I have something to add here.

Apparently these Geha pens are also used for companies to hand out to people because I remember having (had?) one with a company name engraved on the cap.
    A lot of fountain pens were used in that way. Now the best you can get is a cheap ballpoint - if you're lucky.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Note View Post
    Nice example, Deb. I have the same one. Bought it in a thrift store about 30 years ago. The imprint on the cap says: "Geha Schulfuller mit reservetank." It's a great little writer and I use it in regular rotation. The clip is totally brassed, but the nib still has all its plating. I've never seen another one until yours. Thanks.
    Yes, mine has that inscription on the cap too, though it's rather worn.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Deb: that's a really stylish design and rather more elegant than a run-of-the-mill German school pen.

I had a Geha with a gold nib, and it too, had the splendid ink reserve feature - I love those radical ideas that makers came up with to make their pens different, but this was a really good idea I think and rather more practical than elaborate filling systems (especially the loathsome Parker Vacumatic!) . Sadly it lost its tipping and I gave the pen to a piston-filler enthusiast.

Cob
    Last edited by Cob; April 24th, 2018 at 11:32 AM.
    Vive les chevaliers! A bas les têtes rondes!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post
    Deb: that's a really stylish design and rather more elegant than a run-of-the-mill German school pen.

I had a Geha with a gold nib, and it too, had the splendid ink reserve feature - I love those radical ideas that makers came up with to make their pens different, but this was a really good idea I think and rather more practical than elaborate filling systems (especially the loathsome Parker Vacumatic!) . Sadly it lost its tipping and I gave the pen to a piston-filler enthusiast.

Cob
    That's a shame. I've had the occasional gold nib Geha, rather larger than my wee pen. They're really good quality. The ink reserve reminds me of the reserve tank you used to have on motorbikes.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Cob (April 24th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I have the same Geha pen and it also was a gift. It is a really good writer. I just don't understand how the spare ink reservoir switch works.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I have the same Geha pen and it also was a gift. It is a really good writer. I just don't understand how the spare ink reservoir switch works.
    I haven't pulled it apart to find out.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

An illustration how it works can be found here:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...MjMwMjU=/?ref=

The description is in German, but i think the picture show clear enough the mechanism.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Deb (April 24th, 2018), KrazyIvan (April 24th, 2018), Lexaf (April 30th, 2018)