Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What do you wish you'd known when you started collecting?

Thanks

Default Re: What do you wish you'd known when you started collecting?

I wish I had known that the first three pens I ever bought were the best three pens I would buy in terms of function, reliability, and writing comfort. Two of the three are nice to look at, too. Had I stopped after buying pens # 2 and 3, I'd have saved myself some money and frustration.
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (February 13th, 2018)

Thanks

Dreck what are those three pens?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    Dreck what are those three pens?
    #1 Noodler's ebonite Konrad "Methusela's Pine Cone ripple" Aesthetically, this is one of the ugliest pens I've ever laid eyes on (until I saw the line of uber-gaudy acrylic Konrad flex pens!), but it fit my hand perfectly and you just cannot beat the feel of an ebonite pen.

#2 Noodler's Konrad "Roaring 20's Tortoise" Still my favorite pen, and its only flaw is that it isn't ebonite. Loved it so much that I bought a backup (still mint in the box). If I could ever justify spending more than $50 on a pen, Shawn Newton informs me that he could easily replicate it in gorgeous ebonite with a glass-smooth .6mm stub italic nib.

#3 Noodler's ebonite Konrad "Dixie #10 Sahara Ripple" Searched far and wide to find someone who was willing to part with this pen. Absolutely loved it! Gave it to my brother for a birthday present. I still miss it, but it did go to one of my favorite brothers.

All three worked perfectly well out of the box. The "Roaring 20's Tortoise" has proven the most problematic, but in its defense I did entirely too much nib-switching for a while.
    Last edited by Dreck; February 13th, 2018 at 07:12 PM. Reason: notes on functionality
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

Thanks

Wish I had known:

1. Nakayas just aren't for me. I've owned way too many of them and have never cared for any of them.
    2. That it's better to invest in good inks, paper, and nib tuning instead of another pen.
    3. Big, stupid, oversized pens just aren't better (I'm looking at you Pelikan M1000 and Montblanc 149). Often the next size smaller or even the next couple of sizes smaller works better for me.
    4. I wish I had known to buy more vintage pens from ebay when I first started in this hobby about ten years ago. Prices have REALLY inflated.
    5. To buy more Danitrios from Kevin Cheng back when he would sell at really reasonable prices and allow you to lay away. Those things are sooo expensive now.
    6. I wish I could have avoided custom pens altogether. They are fun to have built but they always seem to let me down and the resale value sucks.
    ...BUT...ultimately I wish I could have bought one good Parker 51 aero and called it quits.
    Last edited by heraclitus682; February 14th, 2018 at 05:44 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heraclitus682 For This Useful Post:

amk (February 14th, 2018), Dreck (February 14th, 2018), kia (February 15th, 2018)

Thanks

My collection is only eight pens, and so might not count as a collection to some of the folks here. My first two pens were a Pelikan M215 and a Hero 100. Looking back, I wished I had known those two pens were the only ones I would use 99.99 percent of the time, and not to buy any more.

Wow, I can't believe I have been using fountain pens for 13 years now. I am still so glad I started using them, and wish I had done so long before.
    Last edited by Pendragon; February 14th, 2018 at 06:59 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pendragon For This Useful Post:

amk (February 15th, 2018), dhon27 (February 14th, 2018), Dreck (February 14th, 2018)

Thanks

"Some of the folks here" used to have eight pens, once upon a time :-)

The 215 is a lovely pen, isn't it?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,480 Times in 1,744 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    My collection is only eight pens, and so might not count as a collection to some of the folks here. My first two pens were a Pelikan M215 and a Hero 100. Looking back, I wished I had known those two pens were the only ones I would use 99.99 percent of the time, and not to buy any more.

Wow, I can't believe I have been using fountain pens for 13 years now. I am still so glad I started using them, and wish I had done so long before.
    If there are two, it's a collection.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Pendragon (April 8th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    No joke.
    And what, pray, would a responsible person do with things that were manufactured as junk from the start? Send them to a landfill? I wouldn't even give them away; to do so would be a swindle.
    Yes, send them to a landfill since landfill takes some precaution to not pollute as much (admittedly not much) as possible. More than you anyways. And giving them away wouldn't be a swindle. Maybe someone has more skills than you and could make silk out of sow's ear.

Oh, and what do you suppose happens to celluloid pens in a rifle? Do they catch fire from the powder charge? Explode? Make plastic fouling in the barrel? Now I know something you collectors don't. Pure research demands a little pollution now and then.
    Perhaps you are being tongue-in-cheek but, if so, it's puerile and stupid. So has your "research" made the pen collecting world a little better? How is your "research" useful in anyway? As I've said, I absolutely detest mindless destruction when there could be a constructive option - make a frankenpen, use for parts, etc. etc. But then again, I guess there's not much to do in Northeast Ohio. Gotta do something for fun, right?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    Perhaps you are being tongue-in-cheek but, if so, it's puerile and stupid. So has your [...]
    Could you be overreacting just a little?
    --
    Mike

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Dreck (February 15th, 2018), fountainpenkid (February 15th, 2018), Hawk (February 17th, 2018), kia (February 16th, 2018), RNHC (February 15th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (February 15th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Perhaps you are being tongue-in-cheek but, if so, it's puerile and stupid. So has your [...]
    Probably. I can be overly dramatic at times.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    I'm glad he did though...it gave me a good laugh.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

RNHC (February 16th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heraclitus682 View Post
    Wish I had known:

5. To buy more Danitrios from Kevin Cheng back when he would sell at really reasonable prices and allow you to lay away. Those things are sooo expensive now.
    My feelings exactly. Some of my favorite pens came from, or were commissioned through, Kevin. I'd have bought many more if I'd known what my situation today would be.

Thanks

Yes, send them to a landfill since landfill takes some precaution to not pollute as much (admittedly not much) as possible. More than you anyways. And giving them away wouldn't be a swindle. Maybe someone has more skills than you and could make silk out of sow's ear.

Oh, and what do you suppose happens to celluloid pens in a rifle? Do they catch fire from the powder charge? Explode? Make plastic fouling in the barrel? Now I know something you collectors don't. Pure research demands a little pollution now and then.
    Perhaps you are being tongue-in-cheek but, if so, it's puerile and stupid. So has your "research" made the pen collecting world a little better? How is your "research" useful in anyway? As I've said, I absolutely detest mindless destruction when there could be a constructive option - make a frankenpen, use for parts, etc. etc. But then again, I guess there's not much to do in Northeast Ohio. Gotta do something for fun, right?
    Where is your imagination? Where is your curiosity: the will to "run and find out"? If you must, think of this exercise as a tribute. It is a tribute to companies that waste the world's resources to manufacture trash.

I don't owe the pen collecting world a thing. Making it a little better is not a consideration. So now that I have learned a few things about pens and rifles, I have no reason to share the information with you.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

Thanks

Where is your imagination? Where is your curiosity: the will to "run and find out"? If you must, think of this exercise as a tribute. It is a tribute to companies that waste the world's resources to manufacture trash.

I don't owe the pen collecting world a thing. Making it a little better is not a consideration. So now that I have learned a few things about pens and rifles, I have no reason to share the information with you.
    You can justify however you want but it won't change the fact that you are just a selfish person with no consideration for others, especially the future generation. "Give a hoot, don't pollute!"

Strange as it may sound, there may be some quirky people who may be interested in your exercise in wanton destruction. As an atonement for your transgressions, the least you can do is share the useless information (that has no practical value to anyone) with those interested. I, of course, have no interest since with my knowledge and experience know what had had happened - the pen went kaput.

Thanks

See? Even Church of England is advocating the use of fountain pens "in a bid to cut the environmental damage..." as mentioned Cob's thread https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...Recommendation!

Thanks

CofE will probably advocate ending education to save even more...
    http://www.secularism.org.uk/petitio...h-schools.html

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

See? Even Church of England is advocating the use of fountain pens "in a bid to cut the environmental damage..." as mentioned Cob's thread https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...Recommendation!
    Will British landfills fill with empty ink cartridges?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    CofE will probably advocate ending education to save even more...
    http://www.secularism.org.uk/petitio...h-schools.html
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Will British landfills fill with empty ink cartridges?
    You guys are derailing my harangue.

Thanks

Actually, i completely agree with your sentiments regarding wanton waste and destruction; however, when shooting, one does need something with regards ammunition and targets to practice with.

Thanks

Perhaps, shooting may not be a good topic for discussion with the recent event in Florida as it may rile up contentious sentiments. It sure did to me.