Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What do you wish you'd known when you started collecting?

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: What do you wish you'd known when you started collecting?

Yes, indeed; see you at thetruthaboutguns.com .

Thanks

Default Re: What do you wish you'd known when you started collecting?

I also kind of wish I'd known just how passionate people can be about pens, almost as much as me! I thought I was the only one interested in such things as pen, paper, and ink. I've always amassed quirky pens and such since I was a kid, but now I'm collecting the good stuff, and it's fabulous.

I am very passionate about pens and the part their development as a basic tool has played in history. We wouldn't have history without the means to record it.

I am also passionate about other stuff, including my rights under the Constitution. Freedom of speech (written, as well as oral), and freedom of religion (my choice, to worship - or not - as I wish), and my right to bear arms (which I do). America is a great place, and instead of arguing or judging and condemning, I think pushing forward the power of the pen and writing is more important. Seriously. Time to bring back cursive and schools and enable our children and their children to be able read the original Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States (or at least facsimiles thereof in the written hand of our forefathers), and to push forward with careful thought and logic, as well as pride. The rest is to be debated. But not here.

I try to choose my battles wisely, and here I am choosing to arm myself with pen and paper and the history - past and future - it represents. I write, therefore I am. Scribere est agere. To write is to act. But this is my pen forum. And, so, my pen fanaticism is here. My other passions are elsewhere.

Ok, said my peace. I'll disappear for another 3 years, now.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kia For This Useful Post:

Pendragon (April 8th, 2018), RNHC (February 16th, 2018), Rossler (February 16th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (February 16th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,741 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kia View Post
    I also kind of wish I'd known just how passionate people can be about pens, almost as much as me! I thought I was the only one interested in such things as pen, paper, and ink. I've always amassed quirky pens and such since I was a kid, but now I'm collecting the good stuff, and it's fabulous.

I am very passionate about pens and the part their development as a basic tool has played in history. We wouldn't have history without the means to record it.

I am also passionate about other stuff, including my rights under the Constitution. Freedom of speech (written, as well as oral), and freedom of religion (my choice, to worship - or not - as I wish), and my right to bear arms (which I do). America is a great place, and instead of arguing or judging and condemning, I think pushing forward the power of the pen and writing is more important. Seriously. Time to bring back cursive and schools and enable our children and their children to be able read the original Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States (or at least facsimiles thereof in the written hand of our forefathers), and to push forward with careful thought and logic, as well as pride. The rest is to be debated. But not here.

I try to choose my battles wisely, and here I am choosing to arm myself with pen and paper and the history - past and future - it represents. I write, therefore I am. Scribere est agere. To write is to act. But this is my pen forum. And, so, my pen fanaticism is here. My other passions are elsewhere.

Ok, said my peace. I'll disappear for another 3 years, now.
    Bring back cursive! Yyyyeahhh!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Forget cursive (which I had to teach my kids myself), I was shocked that no one at school taught them the proper way to hold pen/pencil. When my daughter was a wee lass, I saw her hold the pencil between her middle and ring finger. When I brought up the matter to her teacher, she just shrugged and said it was already too late! My daughter was in first grade at the time, mind you.

This was not at a public school where everyone assumes nobody cares but at a private school. I was especially annoyed at the teacher's attitude since I expected more for what I paid in tuition. I thought perhaps I should have sent my daughter to a parochial school instead where proper things were taught properly. (The tuition would have been cheaper too!) It's appalling how essential basics of education have been discarded. Fundamentals are fundamental!

Thanks

That gold nibs would go away for cheaper steal nibs.

Last edited by wingwiper; February 16th, 2018 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post

I'm not sure what you mean.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

Perhaps he swallowed a steel nib and isn't happy about it at all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

AzJon (February 16th, 2018)

Thanks

That I REALLY should try ink samples before blindly trusting others reviews and buying bottles of ink...

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevekolt For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (February 19th, 2018), amk (February 21st, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (February 17th, 2018)

Thanks

Gold nibs are significantly cheaper than steel nibs, if you steal them
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    Where is your imagination? Where is your curiosity: the will to "run and find out"? If you must, think of this exercise as a tribute. It is a tribute to companies that waste the world's resources to manufacture trash.

I don't owe the pen collecting world a thing. Making it a little better is not a consideration. So now that I have learned a few things about pens and rifles, I have no reason to share the information with you.
    You can justify however you want but it won't change the fact that you are just a selfish person with no consideration for others, especially the future generation. "Give a hoot, don't pollute!"

Strange as it may sound, there may be some quirky people who may be interested in your exercise in wanton destruction. As an atonement for your transgressions, the least you can do is share the useless information (that has no practical value to anyone) with those interested. I, of course, have no interest since with my knowledge and experience know what had had happened - the pen went kaput.
    The world is not a penitentiary and you are not the warden. Give it up.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

Thanks

Collecting pens has been an interesting exercise. The things I didn't know at first I found out through some interesting exercises that were sometimes fun, sometimes a frustration. I have had fun doing this. You could always say you would have liked to have more facts. There's fun in the journey.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

amk (February 21st, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (February 18th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    Forget cursive (which I had to teach my kids myself), I was shocked that no one at school taught them the proper way to hold pen/pencil. When my daughter was a wee lass, I saw her hold the pencil between her middle and ring finger. When I brought up the matter to her teacher, she just shrugged and said it was already too late!
    Wow... this hit home for me on two counts. First, this is EXACTLY how I learned to hold a pen/pencil (between my middle and ring finger). I started drawing and writing at a very young age and I think my parents were so thrilled by this that they paid no attention to how I was holding my crayons, and by the time I reached kindergarten, it really was too late! I tried to learn the correct way, but it never took.

Secondly, I never learned to write cursive because I was just learning D'Nealian (anyone remember D'Nealian???) as a grade school student in Georgia when I moved to Missouri midway through the school year and was shocked to discover that my classmates had ALREADY BEEN TAUGHT CURSIVE! So I never learned to write script-- I've printed my way through everything my whole life.

And to answer the OP, had I known just how deep of a rabbit hole I was getting into with this hobby, I might have been content to stick with my Sheaffer school pen I had as a kid. It was red and I loved it. *sigh* "Rosebud..."

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to comixfan For This Useful Post:

amk (February 21st, 2018), RNHC (February 21st, 2018), Rossler (February 27th, 2018)

Thanks

I wish I had known from an earlier age how wonderful good handwriting can be. (I'm a bit of an old dog now...)

I wish I had known that the simplest way to justify nicer pens is to buy ones my wife thinks are stylish.

I wish I had known to start experimenting with different nibs early on - buying different pens that all have the same basic nib doesn't begin to expose you to the possibilities available.

I wish I had known how much other people enjoy this - if you don't use a pen any more and can't sell it for a appreciable price, give it away to a new user.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiggercat For This Useful Post:

amk (February 23rd, 2018), ferociousnpretty (March 1st, 2018)

Thanks

I wish that I had known at the start that many collectors were so high strung.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 2nd, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post

.....................or ought to be.

I would never have imagined that certain people could be so aggressive and confrontational about this hobby, especially inks for some reason.
    Last edited by Fermata; March 2nd, 2018 at 06:45 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Neurotic.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I wish I'd known that just because a pen is rare does not mean it is valuable. Sometimes it is rare because the pen was not very good or of poor quality and few examples exist because they did not stand the test of time.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

amk (April 12th, 2018), Dreck (April 9th, 2018), ferociousnpretty (March 1st, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    "Some of the folks here" used to have eight pens, once upon a time :-)

The 215 is a lovely pen, isn't it?
    I like it very much. When I first started checking pen forums and blogs, the result of a random google search, most recommended the Pelikan pens as the very best around. The M200 was particularly recommended as a great first pen. The M215 was a little fancier and not all that much more expensive, so I got one. All the praise heaped on the pen has been true in my experience. A cursory look around indicates that much has changed and been added to the fountain pen world, and quite a bit has stayed the same.

Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post
    That has happened on a widespread basis? Please pardon my ignorance. Until recently, I have not checked the forums or kept up to date on fountain pen news in years.

The steel nib on my M215 has never disappointed, so it is not always a bad thing.

Thanks

After about 50 years around pens, I wish I knew all that I still donīt know !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I wish I'd known that just because a pen is rare does not mean it is valuable. Sometimes it is rare because the pen was not very good or of poor quality and few examples exist because they did not stand the test of time.

Audio is not so good, but it's a pretty funny story that illustrates the point, or reminds me of it anyway.

Spoiler:

Summary: Man working at Jamestown re-enacting woodworking looks for authentic period axes obtains some from experts who dug them up from the bottom of an old well. He replicates them and finds they don't work very well and thinks the problem is just that he is doing it wrong.
    Punch line: The axes are indeed authentic. They were also thrown into a well, presumably for good reason.
    Last edited by gbryal; April 11th, 2018 at 03:02 PM.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gbryal For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (April 15th, 2018), amk (April 12th, 2018), KrazyIvan (April 11th, 2018), Paddler (April 12th, 2018)