Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Does One Do with a Pelikan M800 IB Stock Nib and What about M800 14K Nibs?

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: What Does One Do with a Pelikan M800 IB Stock Nib and What about M800 14K Nibs?

@peterpen53:

I love your handwriting!!!!!!

I used to write like that but I found it takes alot of time. My last italic nib bit the dust and I haven't written like that in years. Now my writing is a bit sloppy and fast, but I intend to write like that again, now that I have a TWSBI mini 1.1 stub and an OB 146 on the way.

Thanks

Default Re: What Does One Do with a Pelikan M800 IB Stock Nib and What about M800 14K Nibs?

Quote Originally Posted by cnjackson View Post
    Hi again, Peterpen, and thank you for your post and sample!

The sample is incredibly helpful! It does seem that the modern 3B is pretty round. There is a touch of line variation, but not too much.

I'm struck by how the BB and the IB are very similar. My understanding had been that the BB is about a 1mm tip and the IB a 1.5mm.

Right now, I think that I am leaning towards the BB.

The other thing you said really struck me. I think you are saying this?: that when I order my pen, the shop may have different versions (newer and older) of the same nib size in stock, and that if I tell them I want a BB with as much line variation as possible, they may be able to accommodate me?

I hadn't realized this was a possibility. Are there some shops that it would be better to order from, with this in mind?

Thanks so much for your help as I wander through this maze!

Chris
    Of course there's no guarantee, but you can always try. Shop around! The round BB/3B's have not been around that long, if you want to find an older one you should do it now. And Pelikan nibs can be exchanged in a minute so a seller should not have any problem with matching the pen and nib that you want.

Quote Originally Posted by I like mango pudding View Post
    @peterpen53:

I love your handwriting!!!!!!

I used to write like that but I found it takes alot of time. My last italic nib bit the dust and I haven't written like that in years. Now my writing is a bit sloppy and fast, but I intend to write like that again, now that I have a TWSBI mini 1.1 stub and an OB 146 on the way.
    Thank you! And you can always write in that style with a round nib, you know. I've been known to do it with a rollerball. But the pens you're getting should help.
    I would agree that true italics take some more attention to your grip and writing angle, but the nibs I'm using don't really slow me down.

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterpen53 View Post

Thank you! And you can always write in that style with a round nib, you know. I've been known to do it with a rollerball. But the pens you're getting should help.
    I would agree that true italics take some more attention to your grip and writing angle, but the nibs I'm using don't really slow me down.
    Yes, thank you. I have tried writing like that and do write like that sometimes but it does take much more time and never does come out the way I want it to with my rollerball, or even a fine tipped felt pen.
    When I had my italic nib, the letters just flowed out naturally. I have to work at it with the rollerball or felt tip pen. I have to write fast in my job so taking the time to perfectly form my letters is not an option I have. When I do have time to write, it looks much better, but still not as good as yours.
    Last edited by I like mango pudding; May 22nd, 2013 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks

I've not tried the IB but seeing these writing samples I think I'd like to.
    I've got EF, F and M Pelikan nibs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterpen53 View Post

Of course there's no guarantee, but you can always try. Shop around! The round BB/3B's have not been around that long, if you want to find an older one you should do it now. And Pelikan nibs can be exchanged in a minute so a seller should not have any problem with matching the pen and nib that you want.
    Thanks again, Peterpen--I think I will start to explore a bit by getting in contact with some of the usual sellers.

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Thanks

OK--I had a brainstorm this morning: before I commit to a Pelikan IB nib (or one its large brethren), I will try out a Lamy and a TWSBI 1.5 stub--one of each--to put on my Safari and 540 I already have. This will give me a chance to see how I write with a somewhat large stub (I know it won't be the same as an M800, but it's a trial run...). And if I love it, then I'll seriously consider the IB!

Just placed an order with Goulet--and I'll let everyone know what happens!

C

Thanks

Hi everyone. New to the forums here.

I was lucky enough to find a current thread that is relevant to my current search.

I was thinking of purchasing a Pelikan M800 in IB but I'm worried it might be too broad and not especially easy to write with. I currently use a waterman Carene (my only fountain pen) in Fine. I wanted a pen with a wider line and more character but I am worried the 1.5mm IB that Niche pens offers (I'm in the UK and will not order from states as the prices are high and 20% import tax on top is ridiculous).

I would be happier with a 1.1mm Italic but unfortunately without getting a custom one done I don't think I can get a hold of one. The M800 is expensive enough as it is without having a regrind done.

I was hesitating between an IB 1.5mm or a standard B or BB depending how wide they are. Do you have any advice?

Thanks

I have an OB and a 1.1stubby and both nib widths appear to be about the same. Writing samples show it very similar. The 1.1 stubby has finer lines on the cross / upstroke than the OB, but other than that, it's pretty much the same.