Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm confused

Thanks

Default I'm confused

Being confused is normal for me but I'm hoping for some clarification. I've dipped into the big other thread and not sure it gives me an answer.

So...

I used to post somewhere else. The head honcho didn't like what I posted. Oddly, I don't blame him entirely because he was lied to and bless him, he bought into the crap.

The question is then, having been banned, can I ask the head honcho, everso politely, to remove all my content from his forum? Also, as a former financial contributor, can I ask to see the accounts?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachez

Thanks

Default Re: I'm confused

Hi Annie,

We do not remove content from the board.* The reason being that if we remove content, we lose context. This is something we struggle with even when it comes to dealing with offensive material that is posted (flame wars, profanity, etc.) - that is, how to clean up ugliness without losing continuity. So, no, it would be of no value to ask to remove your content.

There's been some discussion of the financial circumstances already in Community Feedback, I believe. That may answer your second question.

*realizing that it might not seem that way to the person who doesn't see what's going on behind the moderator/admin wall.

HTH,
    KCat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KCat View Post
    Hi Annie,

We do not remove content from the board.* The reason being that if we remove content, we lose context. This is something we struggle with even when it comes to dealing with offensive material that is posted (flame wars, profanity, etc.) - that is, how to clean up ugliness without losing continuity. So, no, it would be of no value to ask to remove your content.

There's been some discussion of the financial circumstances already in Community Feedback, I believe. That may answer your second question.

*realizing that it might not seem that way to the person who doesn't see what's going on behind the moderator/admin wall.

HTH,
    KCat
    I know you do not "remove content from the board." This does not seem to be a legal stance but down to what ever the board wants to do. If however, I own my own copyright (which I do) could I not ask using legal means, for that to be done by the board owner?

The financial concerms are not covered by those in Community Feedback. So, I will ask again: If I contribute to an organisation, do I have any entitlement to see how my money was spent? Where are accounts published? Who is permitted to see them?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachez

Thanks

I'm afraid you are talking about a forum which is not a copyrighted object. Laws re. these boards are still very loose as I'm sure you are aware. Maybe less so in the UK but the board isn't hosted in the UK and hosting location is pertinent to the question. If I have a discussion with you face-to-face, you do not copyright your words as you speak. This is how these forums are viewed in the US and in many other countries, as I understand it. And, if you recall, you agreed to terms of service upon signing up for FPN which essentially gives away your right to the precious words you typed. Images are another matter. If you posted images, then they are yours. This is something you can broach with admin. But posts are just conversation. Unless, of course, you posted copyrighted material such as stories or poems. In which case, that was just um...well, I wouldn't have done that.

You're asking the wrong person when it comes to the money. I told you what I know. There was a discussion in Community Feedback. I didn't read it all. I have a life I'm trying to live and it's not all stone fruit and dairy product so it doesn't involve counting the pennies I've spread out over the last 10 years on FPN.

Can't help more than that. Sorry. Wish I hadn't tried to help.

Not off to a good start, am I guys?
    Last edited by KCat; May 3rd, 2013 at 03:35 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KCat For This Useful Post:

Waski_the_Squirrel (May 4th, 2013)

Thanks

By agreeing to a forum's rules/terms of service you give them the right to publish your posts and to edit/delete them (or keep them) as they see fit.

And I can't think of any context where a voluntary donation would legally compel an entity to give you access to financial records or accounts.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to aschup For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (January 19th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aschup View Post
    By agreeing to a forum's rules/terms of service you give them the right to publish your posts and to edit/delete them (or keep them) as they see fit.

And I can't think of any context where a voluntary donation would legally compel an entity to give you access to financial records or accounts.
    My church certainly hasn't ever volunteered that information. I think the only people they are somewhat beholden to is the government. Well, and You Know Who Up On High.

Thanks

Hi Annie,

HTH,
    KCat
    Well, FPN certainly does remove content from the board, independent of profanity, etc issues.

Of course, perhaps KCat describes a different Board. In that case, please disregard this post.

Perhaps, if KCat references FPN, what would be better to say, here, is that FPN does remove content from the board, indeed, frequently so. However, it does so at the whim of FPN, not at the whim of its members.

Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, but always good to be clear.

If KCat references another board, then I cannot comment as to actual policies.

warm regards,

David
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

wastelanded (May 12th, 2013)

Thanks

Anytime I've put anything (at all) onto the internet, I've just assumed: it's out there now and I've relinquished all control over it.

I've put copyright marks on some photographs and short films, but, again, once they're out there, they're out there.
    I did have one of my films appear on someone else's website without permission. I wrote to them and asked them to credit me, or remove it. Got no response. Eventually the website disappeared.
    It may happen again. I guess I'll just have to take it on the chin. One of the joys/pitfalls of engaging with the global interface.

Can't help you with the financial question, I'm afraid.

Good luck.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CS388 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I beg to differ with the statement "We do not remove content from the board." Aside from FPN removing the topic Are Premium Accounts Well Designed? on April 11th several weeks of posts made by the members who were banned/suspended were also removed. These other posts were on normal pen related topics. Was this a punnitive action?

A list of members banned/suspended from FPN
    1. HughC
    2. Collectiblepens.com
    3. mmahany
    4. JBB
    5. Tandaina
    6. Repreive
    7. sloegin
    8. fountainpenkid
    9. Greg Minuskin
    10. Annie

....and David i who did a lot more than get banned.
    Last edited by Phoenix; May 3rd, 2013 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    ....and David i who did a lot more than get banned.
    Actually David I did not get banned. He parted ways before he was banned and came up with a way to get FPN to delete his content.

Thanks

OMG! Would somebody just say what happened between David and FPN already?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heraclitus682 For This Useful Post:

CS388 (May 4th, 2013), Susan3141 (May 4th, 2013)

Thanks

I also left prior to being banned...only just though..I'd prefer the status "resigned" than "away" but that's life....

Seeing the "books" is an interesting question, we know the FPN is now incorporated ( where isn't known ). It would be unlikely in Aust. they would need to lodge financial reports, hence the answer is no. In the "bigger picture" though transparency where donations are being requested/ sponsorship or like is a wise move so that those donating can check their money is used for the stated purpose ( as opposed to dinner out with a few friends..). I think posting the financial report with a list of donors would be a reassuring gesture.

Regards
    Hugh

jor412

I'm interested in the issue of copyright as an issue. I'm neither a lawyer nor am I emotionally invested in the current argument.

So if a forum is not a copyrighted object, it being treated as conversation -- yet, oddly enough having the "permanency" of print -- then theoretically, anyone can steal the forum's contents, do some rewording or paraphrasing, have it published in a journal, and then claim that this is his idea and research.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heraclitus682 View Post
    As I see it David left then requested they remove his photos from the posts he'd made, he hosted the photos elsewhere. FPN claimed this would be too difficult so David replaced his pictures with those of nude women ( quiet nice looking ones too...but that's not the issue), the photos disappeared very quickly then. A means to an end I guess although given FPN is open to any age user perhaps not the most appropriate action. There's probably more behind the scenes stuff that occurred prior to this happening, probably both parties should share the "blame".

Regards
    Hugh

20. The Following User Says Thank You to HughC For This Useful Post:

Susan3141 (May 4th, 2013)

Thanks

That's our season finale cliffhanger...

regards

david
    Last edited by david i; May 3rd, 2013 at 09:25 PM.
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post
    As I see it David left then requested they remove his photos from the posts he'd made, he hosted the photos elsewhere. FPN claimed this would be too difficult so David replaced his pictures with those of nude women ( quiet nice looking ones too...but that's not the issue), the photos disappeared very quickly then. A means to an end I guess although given FPN is open to any age user perhaps not the most appropriate action. There's probably more behind the scenes stuff that occurred prior to this happening, probably both parties should share the "blame".

Regards
    Hugh
    Fer cryin' out loud, Hugh...

Try a cover from a newsstand (albeit back-row) tattoo art magazine. Aesthetically interesting and PG-13 rated. Of note, no one from FPN told me it would be too difficult to remove my photos. Rather, FPN seemed uninterested in pursuing. So... I gave gave FPN... interest... in pursuing. Motivation is everything, baby...

Nothing major...

regards

d
    Last edited by david i; May 9th, 2013 at 12:30 AM.
    David R. Isaacson, MD

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

CS388 (May 4th, 2013), Susan3141 (May 4th, 2013)

Thanks

never mind. cavorting in the mud with the pigs.
    Last edited by KCat; May 3rd, 2013 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david i View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post

Regards
    Hugh
    Fer cryin' out loud, Hugh...

Try a cover from a newsstand (albeit back-row) tattoo art magazine. Esthetically interesting and PG-13 rated. Of note, no one from FPN told me it would be too difficult to remove my photos. Rather, FPN seemed uninterested in pursuing. So... I gave gave FPN... interest... in pursuing. Motivation is everything, baby...

Nothing major...

regards

d
    Hey...I'd didn't see any tattoo on the babe I saw...god knows what I was looking at that I missed it...

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

whoa, high drama on the fountain front there.

Eerily similar to one of the other forums I belong to in another hobby. There were accusations of financial improprietary and bannings for even asking out in public to outright bannings of those who even questioned the integrity of the forum admins and mods. There was a breakaway group forming a mutiny and they eventually formed their own discussion board. Eventually there was some sort of amnesty but the lingering hate was still evident in the sarcasm in some of the posts when referring to the incidents and or former members.

The different boards work together of sorts to flush out the scammer sellers. Seems to be a solution that works only out of need to protect the members of that particular hobby.

Although I don't know any of the history or politics of the "other" forum, its all in the same thing. I've seen it happen.

Thanks

never mind. cavorting in the mud with the pigs.
    Tactic 1 from the Losing Debater's Manual: "When you have nothing of substance to advance a discussion, attempt to divert from that via Ad Hominem Insult"

Just sayin'...
    David R. Isaacson, MD