Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WHSmith has bought Cult Pens

Thanks

Default Re: WHSmith has bought Cult Pens

Ah yes, the L2K sales at WHSmith are legendary. I bought my mechanical pencil and ballpoint versions there to go with my fountain pen. Next time there's another crazy sale I'll probably get the rollerball as well, even though I doubt I'd use it, just to complete the set.

Perhaps the deep discounts will change now they have Cult Pens which stocks some proper pens in the same vein as L2K (and above). Or hopefully Cult Pens will follow WHSmith and put crazy discounts on a GvF-C. That would be nice!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,702 Times in 1,971 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    This is very sad news. W.H.Smith is nothing like the retailer it once was and now sells generic and dull stationery. I don’t think it even sells Basildon Bond writing paper any more.

I have a sense of foreboding about the future of Cult Pens now :-(
    Maybe W.H.Smith is trying to revive their former glory by leveraging Cult Pens, which has a good and deserved reputation from anything I've heard and read about them.

Need to remember the scale of things here, WH Smith with a branch in every city in the country and most if not all of the towns, every airport and major railway station. Cultpens as far as I know just one location, an online seller with perhaps 20 employees.

Some perspective is needed.
    Thank you for the perspective. I am in the US, so I am not familiar with the brands.

But regardless, when a large company with a handle on distribution is buying a small boutique shop, most likely they have a plan to replicate the process that the small boutique shop excels at and bring it to scale. Otherwise it makes no sense, as much as possible, companies don't throw money around easily.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

My thinking is W.H.Smith typifies the outmoded, ubiquitous, nonentity which is synonymous with the decline of writing, newspapers, and high street retail in general.
    That said, Smith's News is the Mongol Khanate of news distribution in the UK so definitely has the position and exposure to bring traditional writing back to the masses.

Thanks

I saw fork 'andles for sale yesterday, but that wasn't in WHS. However yesterday, I did see three candlesticks in WHS.

For some unknown reason, my local WHS had a while back a lamy for 20p

Away from pc as room is being redecorated... and I can't add the picture of it from my tablet I had posted in https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...t-ordered-more!
    Last edited by Morgaine; February 5th, 2018 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaine View Post
    For some unknown reason, my local WHS had a while back a lamy for 20p

Away from pc as room is being redecorated... and I can't add the picture of it from my tablet I had posted in https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...t-ordered-more!
    Morgaine, you are definitely a Sumgal with that one. I grovel in your presence. And marvel that WHSmith could be even more clueless than Amazon, who I thought took the cake, the biscuit, and probably the teapot for this sort of bonkers clearance effort. Smith's must take the teaspoon, the strainer, and the cucumber sandwiches as well (minus the crusts).

As to choosing not to stock Basildon Bond, that's a tragedy in both Post Quarto and Duke size.

Thanks

I should have gone to the store the day before.... There were more pens on silly sale too... Parker Frontier, and probably had more Lamy.

Thanks

I feel a bit sick for reasons I don't quite understand. Have just this evening ordered another TWSBI Eco from Cult Pens.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachez

Thanks

The thing that always amazes me about cult pens is their speed. I've got everything I've ordered next day without exception.

Thanks

It depends whether the owners stay on to run it or take their bonanza and head to the Bahamas. Always had good service from these guys hope it stays that way.

Thanks

Very interesting and like to know what WHSmith going to do with this new move.

I have already bought stuffs and hope I am able to continue using this excellent FP services to buy my future needs.