Thread: Let's take a tour along part of the area where the WALL is supposed to go.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Let's take a tour along part of the area where the WALL is supposed to go.

Lately the topic of "The Wall" has been yet again in the news and I thought it might be interesting to take a look at the border to get some idea of what is involved. Since I'm old though I no longer consider long hikes fun so instead I thought we could just look at about thirty miles that are pretty close to home.

We'll begin at the last hand drawn ferry crossing left on the Rio Grande; the ferry at Los Ebanos (The Ebony Trees).

Since we have Google Maps now we can even look down from above to get an understanding of what is involved. We will begin at the ferry and then move eastward towards the edge of the next county.

Notice that part of Mexico is North and East of the Customs and Border Patrol Checkpoint at Los Ebanos and that the border itself is not a straight line or even parallel to some access road. But let's move on.

A couple things to remember.

The Rio Grande is open to use by citizens of the US and Mexico and they can both travel freely along the river. Also while the distance traveled in these pictures is only 30 miles the distance following the river itself is over twice as far. To build a wall along the 30 miles shown in the pictures requires over 60 miles of actual wall OR building the wall in a straight line which would block OUR access to those parts of the US south of the wall. Also, to get access to the wall either to build it, maintain it or patrol it will require building the roadways along the wall and those simply do not yet exist.

If you go back and look at the images again, see how many examples of where the Rio Grande once flowed both north and south of the river.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

john1565 (March 30th, 2018)