Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody buying the Wancher Dream Pen?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: Anybody buying the Wancher Dream Pen?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    At the Japanese price you can get a Platinum Izumo Urushi... which is not a steel Jowo nib.
    It is one of Platinum's flagship pens and comes with a Platinum 18K nib and is a much more interesting pen in general.
    Apparently I wasn't paying enough attention, I thought the Wancher Urushi comes with gold nib at least.

Not that I care in particular, if I get one, I'll replace it with a nice vintage 14K anyways
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    At the Japanese price you can get a Platinum Izumo Urushi... which is not a steel Jowo nib.
    It is one of Platinum's flagship pens and comes with a Platinum 18K nib and is a much more interesting pen in general.
    Apparently I wasn't paying enough attention, I thought the Wancher Urushi comes with gold nib at least.

Not that I care in particular, if I get one, I'll replace it with a nice vintage 14K anyways
    everything other than the base model (less expensive than the urushi ones) come standard with gold nibs... for the base model, its an option that adds about $100 to the price. For what its worth, i bought the base model with a gold nib. I dont want urushi... have a ton of urushi stuff at home, but it means that instead of being a pen i can use the hell out of every day, it has to be another thing i have to be careful with and care for.

On a side note, i happen to think the feeds for this pen are interesting too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jbroida View Post
    but it means that instead of being a pen i can use the hell out of every day, it has to be another thing i have to be careful with and care for.
    i know, i understand, and i am the same; but ironically that is contrary to the original purpose of urushi, which is lasting protection for regular use.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbroida View Post
    but it means that instead of being a pen i can use the hell out of every day, it has to be another thing i have to be careful with and care for.
    i know, i understand, and i am the same; but ironically that is contrary to the original purpose of urushi, which is lasting protection for regular use.
    Yeah... I have a ton of urushi products at home that get everyday use... but in a pen, the scratches just look bad to me. I’ve got bowls, plates, cups, spoons, and even Knife handles in hon-urushi, but I can’t wrap my head around an urushi pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

What kind of dream?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

I finally decided against buying the Wancher pen. And it's not because of the urushi, which is very beautiful, but because I find a clipless pen to be a bit unpractical. The gold nib is probably very nice but I would rather try out a japanese nib.

So in the end I decided to buy a Platinum 3776 in Chartres blue. Someday, when the budget permits, I would like to try to get a Nakaya.

Thanks

TBH and i know Taizo you will read this, i am somewhat concerned by the too quick turnaround time in requesting and assessing the market to producing the final prototype/future model.

For sure, the outcome could've been predicted to a very high degree of accuracy by one with only a layman's knowledge of fountain pen aficionados tastes, but even still... for me, at least, this pen needs a nib of superfluous and demonstrable quality.

Thanks

TBH and i know Taizo you will read this, i am somewhat concerned by the too quick turnaround time in requesting and assessing the market to producing the final prototype/future model.

For sure, the outcome could've been predicted to a very high degree of accuracy by one with only a layman's knowledge of fountain pen aficionados tastes, but even still... for me, at least, this pen needs a nib of superfluous and demonstrable quality.
    I concur. The primary reason I didn't order 1 or 2 was the pedestrian nib quality and size selection.

I like big nibs and I can not lie.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

SIR (February 26th, 2018)

Thanks

.. for me, at least, this pen needs a nib of superfluous and demonstrable quality.
    I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Thanks

Cool Re: Anybody buying the Wancher Dream Pen?

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    .. for me, at least, this pen needs a nib of superfluous and demonstrable quality.
    Nepravda?! Porquoi?

Thanks

Superfluous: Something that is superfluous is unnecessary or is no longer needed

Thanks

Superfluous: Something that is superfluous is unnecessary or is no longer needed
    Would it be superfluous of me to say "blah, blah, blah, whatever" ?

Thanks

Why yes, yes it would.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 View Post
    Not me. It's a pretty pen, but expensive -- too much for a JoWo holder. I don't really care about urushi per se, at least not on a pen.
    This is pretty much the reason why the amount of pens I buy has dropped significantly. I just don't need any more jowo / bock nibs or nibs with ball tipping.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Nepravda?! Porquoi?
    Naprawdę? Whoa! Is that coming into popular parlance?

Thanks

I am probably the target audience -- won't spring for a Nakaya but want to try Urushi. But not curious enough even for that price.

At some point I realized everything in my house is made out of a variety of materials, and I never run my hand over my bathtub or doorknob or lamp and go "oooh... what is this material," so why do I care on my pens? Same with colors and translucency. I mean, my $2 toothbrush is colorful and pretty and would make a great pen, but would I pay $300 if someone made a pen out of what they made my toothbrush from?
    Last edited by gbryal; March 9th, 2018 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gbryal View Post
    I am probably the target audience -- won't spring for a Nakaya but want to try Urushi. But not curious enough even for that price.

At some point I realized everything in my house is made out of a variety of materials, and I never run my hand over my bathtub or doorknob or lamp and go "oooh... what is this material," so why do I care on my pens? Same with colors and translucency. I mean, my $2 toothbrush is colorful and pretty and would make a great pen, but would I pay $300 if someone made a pen out of what they made my toothbrush from?
    You better be careful. That's the kind of nakedly intelligent reasoning that gets people in trouble!

Thanks

Well I stuck with it and decided to go for the green urushi finish (was thinking purple). For me the nib was not an issue. Yes it might be nice with a Pilot, Sailor, or Platinum nib, but almost certainly that would add another $50-100 to the price, going against the argument of an 'affordable' urushi pen. As to the lack of decoration on the nib - I actually prefer that. It's how it writes, not how intricate the work is on it. After all a very decorative nib that writes badly is of no use to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dapprman View Post
    Well I stuck with it and decided to go for the green urushi finish (was thinking purple). For me the nib was not an issue. Yes it might be nice with a Pilot, Sailor, or Platinum nib, but almost certainly that would add another $50-100 to the price, going against the argument of an 'affordable' urushi pen. As to the lack of decoration on the nib - I actually prefer that. It's how it writes, not how intricate the work is on it. After all a very decorative nib that writes badly is of no use to me.
    Don't forget to review the pen as soon as you receive it! I'll probably kick myself for not buying it...

Thanks

I'm newer to pens and definitely got caught up in the urushi hype, but now a bit later I'm trying to determine what really resonates with me about pens. I think for me nib quality and capability is at the top with balance and comfort second... so function over form. I'm sure a Namiki Yukari Royale nails it... the jury is still out with this one, so am interested. At the end of the day one either ends up with an homage to look at from afar (and too expensive for that) or a strongly performing high quality homage that I want to use. I'm not clear which this one is.